Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Revolution Trains is proposing a model of the ubiquitous Class 320 and 321 EMUs in N-gauge.

The Class 320s are 3-car units used on local and semi-fast trains in Scotland, from Helensburgh to Glasgow and across to Lanark and Airdrie.

post-420-0-28797200-1441835763_thumb.jpg (Photo Tom Smith)

I don't have photos of all the liveries - though they can be found easily enough on the web - but here are some graphic images illustrating the options:

Strathclyde PTE orange and black:

post-420-0-85848500-1441835513.jpg

Strathclyde PTE carmine and cream:

post-420-0-62374800-1441835514.jpg

Scotrail Saltire:

post-420-0-13079300-1441835513.jpg

The Class 321s are their longer 4-car cousins and were introduced on WCML suburban and semi-fast services between London Euston and the midlands, on Great Eastern services to Ipswich and Norwich and on Metro services between Doncaster, Sheffield and Keighley in the early 1990s.

post-420-0-23433100-1441835759_thumb.jpg

Since their introduction they've also seen service on GN services between London and Peterborough, and some units are currently being sent to Scotland to work on North Berwick and Dunbar trains.

Some of the many liveries these units have carried:

Original NSE livery:

post-420-0-15338600-1441836001.jpg

Northern Metro:

post-420-0-52604500-1441835518.jpg

WCML Silverlink, then London Midland:

post-420-0-23821500-1441836002.jpg

post-420-0-77450000-1441835516.jpg

GE Great Eastern, One, Abellio:

post-420-0-03545700-1441835516.jpg

post-420-0-70369100-1441836001.jpg

post-420-0-09469500-1441835515.jpg

GN First:

post-420-0-55655100-1441835515.jpg

Current Northern livery:

post-420-0-33684500-1441835519.jpg

The Class 320 units are all standard class, while the 321/4s have a composite car, and the 321/9s (Northern) use standard class only. Our tooling will cover all variations. If there is sufficient interest it may be we can add the Class 456 2-car 3rd rail EMU to this collection.

These models will be produced by Rapido. Their approach to the Pendolino has been first class, with a thoroughness and attention to detail that has impressed both Mike and me, and we think they will do a great job of this model.

The guide price for the 3-car 320 is £140 or £235 for DCC Sound and for the 4-car 321 £160 or £255 with DCC Sound.

This route map shows where the Class 320s and 321s operated or have operated; I do not claim it to be exhaustive and there may be other locations these units have visited/

post-420-0-11395400-1441836198_thumb.jpg

We need 1000 expressions of interest to proceed. Perversely, the sheer number of liveries could be a handicap to this model as we feel customers may struggle to make their choice; however we would ask you express interest for any of the liveries that interest you and if it becomes clear that some liveries are unlikely to see production we can remove them and ask customers if they are prepared to switch allegiance.

As ever no money will be taken unless this model moves forward to actual production.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 12

Hi Ben,

It's late and I have had a really long day....but what great news. I'll be expressing my interest for all things Class 320 and maybe even a LM 321 to sit nicely with the Desiros. I'll be certain to have a chat with you over the weekend at Lemmers.

Guess I won't need to butcher a sprinter or two now with my Class 320 /321 ends from Tank!!!

Now then, what about the 317/318/319 family with plug in ends???

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Edited by Stu from EGDL

Makes a change for the 00 brigade to be asking us N gaugers for an upsize.

I am sure the guys will consider it as there will be a market but I hope the ethos remains N first.

Course this needs the pledges to get off the ground, ever thought of N gauge GordonC - it's great for long trains.

Guest eddie reffin

Excellent news. I'll be expressing interest in the SPT and Scotrail 320s. As Stu said, hopefully it'll lead to the 318 being done too. I also have been buying up 150s to start chopping up but I'll hold fire just now

Well done guys, hoping this is a massive success

Eddie

... This route map shows where the Class 320s and 321s operated or have operated; I do not claim it to be exhaustive and there may be other locations these units have visited ...

Intriguing news: good luck with it. And nice to see Rapido steadily building a good business here.

I have never seen these units on the Ely-King's Lynn section (which doesn't mean they have never served it); I'm curious, in case it is ever released in 00, when they might have been used there?

Paul

Wow Ben, now I'll have to sell the grandchildren as well as the farm! 

This choice of emu is an excellent idea due to its geographic coverage and I think inclusion of the maps showing where they ran or runs is a truly inspirational idea. 

Rapido is an excellent choice too but you and Jason may be named in my divorce....

Gerry

• RMweb Gold

Small point 321s or any emu can't get to Sheffield as there are no wires, good project though :-)

Thanks - I have corrected this.

For those asking about a OO model, we are a little wary of this market because neither Mike nor I are OO modellers and so don't have the familiarity and awareness of expectations that we have with N.

However, Rapido are known to OO modellers through their APT-E and if we can utilise their experience there is no reason why we could not offer this model as a Revolution product, though it may be worth badgering Rapido to do it themselves at Warley... by which time we will hopefully have a stronger idea of whether this will fly in N.

cheers

Ben A.

Makes a change for the 00 brigade to be asking us N gaugers for an upsize.

I am sure the guys will consider it as there will be a market but I hope the ethos remains N first.

Course this needs the pledges to get off the ground, ever thought of N gauge GordonC - it's great for long trains.

Had I been starting from scratch with the quality of N gauge models now I would have

... but having collected all I have over the past 30+ years in OO its not something I could ever imagine doing

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

455s are intersting, in places they share a lot in common with the 150/2s.  None have the smaller side pax windows behind the driving cabs, the driver has a side window unlike on a 321 or 456, the driver's door on a 455 is similar to the passenger doors but single width only, and there are no toilet facilities on a 455 so TSO car has all large windows.  Then of course there are the cab ends, including the distinctive ugliness of the 455/8.  All in all I'd say the 455, and 317 for that matter, are a different beast all together despite being based on the BREL mk3 bodyframe.

In all honesty the 321 shares a lot more in common with the 319 and 456 than it does the 319,  except the 319 is lower in height of course (Snow Hill tunnel clearance).  You'd need a totally differnt shell, plus glazing, or at least an extra car to cut'n'shut a 455.

Sorry for this display of uber geekiness, it's just I have quite literally spent the past 8 or 9 days eyeing over the differences of the 317, 318, 319, 320, 321, 322, 455 and 456 in order to produce 3D shells (ala Networker style)

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I was dubious about mentioning 455's but certainly 456's would be an option with mouldings if designed to allow adaption to a future 456 etc. albiet very limited area of operation.

I must admit I had forgotten about you looking into these units.

For those asking about a OO model, we are a little wary of this market because neither Mike nor I are OO modellers and so don't have the familiarity and awareness of expectations that we have with N.

The main thing to be wary of in OO Bratchell Models range.  To my eyes, there are some issues with them (455's and 456's don't have MU jumpers when they should for starters) but that would be the existing competition.

The guide price for the 3-car 320 is £140 or £235 for DCC Sound and for the 4-car 321 £160 or £255 with DCC Sound.

As with the Pendolino, I am impressed by the value for money on offer here. These prices are lower than the RRP for comparable 3 and 4-car units from Farish (not counting older stock that retailers may be discounting). And considering the small run size, that is no small achievement.

I love the 321s, especially in original NSE livery and even tried to bodge make a 00 one from an MTK kit many years ago. I love the southern end of the WCML but as I am currently modelling slightly steamier subjects, I suspect I will have to pass on this occasion.

Even so, an exciting choice that clearly compliments the forthcoming Pendolino very well and I wish the project every success.

• RMweb Gold

Helllo all,

Our initial analysis is that with four bodyshells we can do the 321/4, 321/9 and 320 units, so these are the ones we have announced.

The 322s and 321/3s need, I think, another bodyshell. When we looked at the possibility of modular tooling to allow 319s too it got very messy very quickly as there are surprising numbers of annoyingly disparate detail variations, as bigP has mentioned.

The 456 would require an additional bodyshell (plus some relatively trivial additional detailing) so not insurmountable and if we get there with the 321 then we'd probably only need a further 500 to make the 456 feasible.

Of course there is a possibility that we get more interest in the 456 but that seems geographically unlikely and because we would still need the power unit we couldn't tool that alone for fewer than 1000 orders.

cheers

Ben A.

Ben/Mike;

I have just returned from Scotland last week and I took the opportunity to get some shots of a 320 stabled at Airdrie. I am willing to share these with you if you think thye will be of any use.

I can load them to a memory stick and pass them to either of you at Leamington this weekend.

Regards;

Stu from EGDL