Revolution Ben

4 hours ago, justin1985 said:

Interesting discussion! 

I guess the upshot is which details are included. I'd MUCH prefer if the NSE models are produced without either specific route branding or the Royal Mail logo. If they weren't universal to begin with, and were lost well before the units were repainted into privatisation liveries, including them seems a bit restrictive.

As none of the privatisation era Great Eastern liveries made it to production, it's surely better to produce models that can pass for the early years of privatisation. (Hopefully more than one number, as I've pre-ordered several!)

J

Though I don't have a personal interest in this particular decision, I would tend to veer towards the opposite view. Purely based on the fact that it is simpler to spend 5 minutes with some T-cut removing the logos than it would be to source the transfers for something (in this instance at least) that is very obscure and unlikely to be readily available.

1 hour ago, ash39 said:

Though I don't have a personal interest in this particular decision, I would tend to veer towards the opposite view. Purely based on the fact that it is simpler to spend 5 minutes with some T-cut removing the logos than it would be to source the transfers for something (in this instance at least) that is very obscure and unlikely to be readily available.

This is where it gets to a really subjective opinion really isn't it?

Personally, while I'd be happy to take off a number or detail with T-Cut (or whichever alternative method) if I was replacing with another number or nameplate etc., I would be very reluctant to do that on a large solid area of NSE blue. Even if taking off the factory printed marking works perfectly, the whole side would need a coat of varnish to blend back in the "polished" spot (and by implication the sides of the whole set, if you want consistency along the set).

I realise that the obvious alternative (decals, perhaps rub down, for the earlier markings in the box) is not exactly practical or likely to be viable.

• Revolution Ben changed the title to Revolution Class 320 & 321 EMUs in N
16 hours ago, justin1985 said:

I guess the upshot is which details are included. I'd MUCH prefer if the NSE models are produced without either specific route branding or the Royal Mail logo. If they weren't universal to begin with, and were lost well before the units were repainted into privatisation liveries, including them seems a bit restrictive.

As none of the privatisation era Great Eastern liveries made it to production, it's surely better to produce models that can pass for the early years of privatisation. (Hopefully more than one number, as I've pre-ordered several!)

As far as I can tell. the Royal Mail logo was universal to begin with but disappeared around privatisation. As for removal vs adding, that is a tough call and I will leave that to others. I do not know whether it is better to represent the units brand new as first delivered or as they looked about 5 years into service.

Bear in mind the RM logo and flash need to be consistent. Looking at the photos it seems it should be:

RM Logo + NSE flash (as new).

No logo + no flash (post privatisation)

As long as collars and cuffs match, its OK. ;)

Edited by Karhedron
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

This discussion about whether to produce the NSE 321 with/without the Royal Mail logo on the NSE 321 is not quite so esoteric as it may first seem.... we are going to run into a similar issue with the NSE 313.... by which I mean which NSE sub-branding does RevolutioN use; in theory there are three relevant to the 313 - Great Northern, North London Line and Watford DC lines.... which to choose?.... or omit them entirely, thus making the  units generic....

Difficult to call.... 

Slightly off topic, sorry.... as you were....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The NSE version has always been described as Network South East and will be fully finished and branded, representing a Class 321/4 as new.

I know some 321s lasted in NSE colours, with Silverlink branding, into the early 2000s, but photographs also suggest that 321s in the Silverlink blue (purple?) green livery appeared very soon after privatisation, and we are still hoping to offer this version.

Incidentally, the Silverlink version could, in turn, prove useful for anyone modelling the early days of First use on the ECML, as this pic of 321405 in 2009 by Howard Pulling shows: 

321405, Biggleswade

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Anyone who joined our Facebook Live last night will have seen that we have had a couple of decorated shells produced in Silverlink and Strathclyde liveries.  These are just DTSO bodies and we’ve put them on EP1 chassis for photography so that is why the yellow panels are missing and air dams etc unpainted.  Also, the glazing frames will be painted on the production models.

Unfortunately, while London Midland, NSE and Scotrail Saltire are confirmed for production, orders for Silverlink and Strathclyde are still short, so we had these shells prepared by the factory in an effort to get them over the line. Unfortunately First Capital Connect is still too far short to have a realistic chance of making it, so has been cancelled.

Class 320 DTSO in Strathclyde livery.  Note Royal Mail logo!

0C527EDB-E066-4F5F-9F33-0CB686CA0173.jpeg.754e5f058bb36f0c684b47adb315ed58.jpeg

Class 321 Silverlink DTSO.

603FBFE2-62FE-4478-9A6C-C71B99E474CD.jpeg.6d7e356e07e93119673ada34459d3d63.jpeg

For more information and images see the news page on the Revolution Trains website.  We are expecting decorated samples of the confirmed versions in the next week or so.  Once these are approved the order book will be closing and production can begin now the factories in China are returning to normal.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hello all,

Anyone who joined our Facebook Live last night will have seen that we have had a couple of decorated shells produced in Silverlink and Strathclyde liveries.  These are just DTSO bodies and we’ve put them on EP1 chassis for photography so that is why the yellow panels are missing and air dams etc unpainted.  Also, the glazing frames will be painted on the production models.

Unfortunately, while London Midland, NSE and Scotrail Saltire are confirmed for production, orders for Silverlink and Strathclyde are still short, so we had these shells prepared by the factory in an effort to get them over the line. Unfortunately First Capital Connect is still too far short to have a realistic chance of making it, so has been cancelled.

For more information and images see the news page on the Revolution Trains website.  We are expecting decorated samples of the confirmed versions in the next week or so.  Once these are approved the order book will be closing and production can begin now the factories in China are returning to normal.

The Silverlink ones were definitely purple, mind you Vauxhall churned out the early Corsa in what they called Rainbow Blue, which was also purple.

The green was more lime, very close to the LM green as shown by 321423 alongside a class 350 at Wolverton, below.

321423_1.JPG.9c76e29e86fac5e502bb423470db309c.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that.  Obviously the light falling on a full size train can look very different to a small model snapped badly with a phone indoors.

Having said that, naturally the decorated samples gives us all the opportunity to check that the specified colours look right on small scale models, and if necessary amend the colours.

Cheers

Ben A.

On 29/04/2020 at 20:08, Ben A said:

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that.  Obviously the light falling on a full size train can look very different to a small model snapped badly with a phone indoors.

Having said that, naturally the decorated samples gives us all the opportunity to check that the specified colours look right on small scale models, and if necessary amend the colours.

Cheers

Ben A.

I've had that issue as well photographing models in SL purple with the Electro overlays on, very weird. 

If you don't mind me asking Ben, is the 313 still going ahead? 

Sadly there is no means to run a 321 on my layout (overhead, train length and more), but I am holding out for a coupld of PEPs.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

Yes, the 313 is in CAD at the moment.   Once the CAD is completed we will have a confirmed price from the factory, at which point we will open the order book.   Though as ever with Revolution models it won’t go to tooling until enough pre-orders to ensure production are received.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 29/04/2020 at 08:33, Ben A said:

Hello all,

Cheers

Ben A.

Please make it an announcement when the book is about to close, fingers crossed it'll be after pay day ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

The decorated samples of the confirmed liveries - London Midland, Network South East and Scotrail Saltire - will be here soon.

Once they have been assessed and checked then we will give a date when we’ll close the order book (probably after a  fortnight or so to give people who haven’t ordered a last chance) and then they’ll go into production, which pre-Covid would’ve taken probably 3 months but may take a little longer at the moment.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

19 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi there,

The decorated samples of the confirmed liveries - London Midland, Network South East and Scotrail Saltire - will be here soon.

Once they have been assessed and checked then we will give a date when we’ll close the order book (probably after a  fortnight or so to give people who haven’t ordered a last chance) and then they’ll go into production, which pre-Covid would’ve taken probably 3 months but may take a little longer at the moment.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for replying to my 313 question. I guess one thing I would throw into the mix, is that I, like a lot of people, am in Covid limbo at the moment and I think a lot of people may be more confident to order and commit in say 2 or 3 months time when the picture is clearer about employment and their future terms...no one is sure how furloughing, taxation etc might pan out and it may be that extending the order deadline (to the frustration of existing orders I know) might get you more. Alternatively perhaps the next batch, if timed right, might turn out better in terms of numbers if people feel surer. Sorry I am absolutely not a business person but I am just going on gut feeling.  As an example, if things were less unsure I would have indulged on one or two 321's even though I can't use them right now. But right now I won't.

Edited by ianmianmianm
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, ianmianmianm said:

(to the frustration of existing orders I know)

I paid my deposit for a 321 four years ago. Sadly neither my first or second choice liveries have made it to the final cut, but I'll still take an alternative livery as the production samples look great. 

I understand the reason for the long gestation period of this model. I have no complaints about that, but having waited four years it would not sit well with me if the production was delayed to try and get other liveries over the line.

The current uncertainty is not a reason to do this - people have had years to decide if they want one or not. Also there's a very good chance if you took one and then found yourself in financial trouble, you could move it fairly easily without losing any money.

EDIT - oh and count me in for a 313 too. Way out of my region of interest but it'd be great fun trying to make one look like this...

https://flic.kr/p/2fW9BuT

Edited by ash39
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

TBH we are not at all keen on delaying this any further.  It has taken far longer than we expected for well documented reasons - and further self-imposed hold-ups would be unfair on those who stepped up early IMO.

The deco samples of the confirmed liveries should be here soon, and as I said we will want to ensure maximum exposure for them during the assessment period, but once that is done then we will ask the factory to move to production as quickly as they can and close the order book accordingly.

In terms of second runs, we haven’t done a second run of anything yet, and while it isn’t an impossibility I cannot see there being a viable market for another run of 320s/321s for some time.

Of course, most of our models are subsequently available from selected retailers but of course the price is usually higher as they need to add their margin to stay in business!

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 13:39, Ben A said:

Hi there,

Yes, the 313 is in CAD at the moment.   Once the CAD is completed we will have a confirmed price from the factory, at which point we will open the order book.   Though as ever with Revolution models it won’t go to tooling until enough pre-orders to ensure production are received.

Cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

Excuse me asking, because I've only now seen this, if you are doing a 313 does that mean that a 508 is a possibility at any time?

Ian

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, ianwales said:

Excuse me asking, because I've only now seen this, if you are doing a 313 does that mean that a 508 is a possibility at any time?

We've looked at the possibility but it means a bit more tooling - we've not definitely decided but probably not.

Cheers Mike