Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

We have leaflets at each end on Banbury here at the Folkestone show and also put some on the table where the show has leaflets for other shows.

Quite a few have been picked up so hopefully this will have generated a bit more interest

Ben / Mike - is it worth having a one line questionnaire on the website asking where people found out about the plans for this unit as might help when planning future items?

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Just for interest, a glance out the window this morning showed a London Midland liveried 321 in black and green (?) operating the Great Eastern Romford to Upminster branch line. Nice livery. More interesting than Abellio's.

• RMweb Premium

Just quickly catching up on this thread. A couple of notes.

The Class 322s now operate for Northern from Neville Hill Depot. Also I believe some London Midland 321s covered for Northern 321/9 & 322 Overhauls.

All these where built at BREL York, so any of these could be operated by anyone modelling York area, because post ECML electrification there was often test trains from York to Doncaster or Peterborough. Indeed there was some worker specials of NSE 321s from York to London, as a thank you from NSE for early delivery of units.

I quite fancy WYPTE Metro 321/9 and a maybe a NSE 321 to represent the aforementioned test trains or Worker Specials . . . 

Edited by richierich

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jeremy

Just shy of 40% - I suspect that Warley and if it is mentioned in the NGS Journal (we missed the deadline for the last issue) will be the make or break points for this project.

It still seems to be a problem to reach enough a wide enough audience despite the fantastic coverage we have had online and in the majority of the magazines (we had people at TINGS saying that they had never come across us before), and then to convince people to register their interest (if they are interested!). 

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jez,

Last time I looked we were just shy of 400 expressions of interest.

The 321 is not as glamorous a train as the Pendolino, yet agruably just as useful, if not more so.

There should be a market for this model - the trick is finding it and bringing it to us.

I think Mike and I are both very hopeful that at Warley, with Pendolino mouldings on show, we can really drive the sign ups for this model to get us over the line.

The other potential issue is that we have not yet decided on the deadline for expressions. Working through our own website has the advantage that we can allow additional time (in a way that Kickstarter cannot) but of course a deadline can help to focus minds and I suspect we will need to make a decision on whether to keep it open or abandon the idea at some point.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Jeremy

Just shy of 40% - I suspect that Warley and if it is mentioned in the NGS Journal (we missed the deadline for the last issue) will be the make or break points for this project.

It still seems to be a problem to reach enough a wide enough audience despite the fantastic coverage we have had online and in the majority of the magazines (we had people at TINGS saying that they had never come across us before), and then to convince people to register their interest (if they are interested!). 

Cheers, Mike

Hi Jez,

Last time I looked we were just shy of 400 expressions of interest.

The 321 is not as glamorous a train as the Pendolino, yet agruably just as useful, if not more so.

There should be a market for this model - the trick is finding it and bringing it to us.

I think Mike and I are both very hopeful that at Warley, with Pendolino mouldings on show, we can really drive the sign ups for this model to get us over the line.

The other potential issue is that we have not yet decided on the deadline for expressions. Working through our own website has the advantage that we can allow additional time (in a way that Kickstarter cannot) but of course a deadline can help to focus minds and I suspect we will need to make a decision on whether to keep it open or abandon the idea at some point.

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks guys for the update. 400 is definitely moving in the right direction and I'm sure the N gauge society mag and Warley exhibition will bring in the final numbers to start the process.

Edited by cornish trains jez

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jez,

Yes, let's hope so.

I think our message would be to anyone who wants these models to just make sure other people they know in the N Gauge/Model Railway community are aware.

Please don't assume that someone else in the club is telling people, or that other enthusiasts you know will have read about it in the mags, or seen it online.  And if you are speaking to people, emphasise that like the Pendolino this will be a limited model that will only happen if enough people step forward.

As Mike said we have had amazing coverage online and in the press, but at the same time it is quite clear that there are plenty of people who either don't know, or who are just assuming others will "make it happen" so they don't have to...

Having said that, I do accept that for many people the concept of the pre-order or crowd-funding remains an anathema; however for niche models in a (relatively) niche scale it really is the only way we can make them happen.

I also suspect there may be some hesitating because they are unsure of our provenance; again I can understand that and am hoping that when people see actual mouldings of the Pendolino and TEA tankers they they will be won over....

And the bottom line is that we don't want any money now for the 320/321 anyway!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Expressions of interest are going very much in the right direction, but we are still not there yet.

If you are wavering about expressing interest please don't wait for the deadline of 31 January 2016 (there is no benefit in waiting!) - the sooner we get enough interest the quicker that we can get to work properly on this project.

Cheers Mike

• Like 2

I registered interest for 4 units when this project was announced - I'd probably be prepared to increase this to 6 or maybe even 8 if it comes to it!

Has the project been promoted via line societies at all? I very rarely use the Great Eastern Society Yahoo! email group myself, but it is quite active. This and other relevant line societies might be a way of drumming up a few more collector orders?

J

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

What percentage of interest is already secured for the model?

Not enough yet, though I am confident we will get there! We're probably approaching the point where we could make it but the unit cost would probably have to be higher (as tooling costs would be split over a smaller number).

Fortunately people are still expressing interest and we hope for more by the end of the month (even if I don't really understand why people wait to the last minute!).

London Midland continues to be the leader in terms of interest expressed, followed by NSE. A long way behind that are Silverlink/First and the 320s (Strathclyde Orange and Scotrail). 

Cheers, Mike

Not enough yet, though I am confident we will get there! We're probably approaching the point where we could make it but the unit cost would probably have to be higher (as tooling costs would be split over a smaller number).

Fortunately people are still expressing interest and we hope for more by the end of the month (even if I don't really understand why people wait to the last minute!).

London Midland continues to be the leader in terms of interest expressed, followed by NSE. A long way behind that are Silverlink/First and the 320s (Strathclyde Orange and Scotrail). 

Cheers, Mike

Hi Mike,

I do hope this goes ahead as I'm modelling Euston station and could well do with a few for that. I've expressed interest in 2 NSE liveried models but could probably do with at least 4! Interesting that the London Midland livery is the leader as early expressions suggested NSE was the most wanted.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Interesting that the London Midland livery is the leader as early expressions suggested NSE was the most wanted.

I'm not surprised at all, not with all of those pendolino's and 350's that have been ordered and bought.

Alistair

Hi Gang,

I always suspected that NSE and London Miland would be leading due to longevity and the majority area of operations. And it sits nicely with the forthcoming Pendo and the already available 350/86/87 etc....

There is a lack of supporting models to prevent the East Anglian options being terribly feasible....

The Scottish Region 320s have a good set of supporting models to make them feasible( and I have a vested interest there)......so I'm hopeful that these make the cut too.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

• RMweb Gold

I always suspected that NSE and London Miland would be leading due to longevity and the majority area of operations. And it sits nicely with the forthcoming Pendo and the already available 350/86/87 etc....

There is a lack of supporting models to prevent the East Anglian options being terribly feasible....

The Scottish Region 320s have a good set of supporting models to make them feasible( and I have a vested interest there)......so I'm hopeful that these make the cut too.

Hi Stu

I agree on the LM and NSE units.

East Anglia is a bit chicken and egg - we had hoped that they would be more popular to start to open that area up! I like the Anglia One refresher livery personally.

320s - as things stand we would definitely do one livery of the 320, but unless there is a flurry of interest we will probably have to make a choice between Scotrail and Stratchclyde Orange.

Cheers, Mike