Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Positive news on the 320/321 in the RevolutioN news letter:

CLASS 320 and 321: after something of a hiatus while we waited for numbers to creep up we've reached the point where we are happy to authorise tooling.  Unfortunately Rapido are not going to be able to produce the 320/321 for us, but the good news is that we have agreed to take the project forward to one of our other suppliers.  The new supplier is looking through the design and we are expecting tooling to begin within the next few weeks, and are hoping to have EP samples soon.  The order book will remain open, though at present only Scotrail, London Midland, and Network South East are confirmed liveries.  We hope to add others if demand supports them.

Although this thread should perhaps be moved to the Revolution section of the forum now Rapido are no longer producing it?

Tom. 

Perhaps current Northern and eventually GWR and ATW liveries would attract orders, especially as the Flex units could be attractive to modellers who don't want to model OHLE? 

Just wondering...

Gerry

I think its just the 319's that are being run by Northern with some converted to bi-mode. The 320/321 being done by Revolution isn't being used by Northern AFAIK.

Regards,

John P

Hi Gang,

It's great news that this project is finally given the go ahead to go to tooling. It will take quite a lot of admin effort just to get the livery choices of everyone who has ordered amortised into what will finally be available. Just a little sad that Strathclyde Red hasn't made the cut.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

• RMweb Gold

Hoping the Strathclyde Orange also makes the final cut too.

Hi there,

Sorry, that is the livery I meant. Though it looks orange, it's actually known, I think, as Strathclyde PTE red.

The attractive crimson and cream livery applied by SPT is a long way off, sadly.

Cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

Hi there,

Sorry, that is the livery I meant. Though it looks orange, it's actually known, I think, as Strathclyde PTE red.

The attractive crimson and cream livery applied by SPT is a long way off, sadly.

Cheers

Ben A.

Ben

Accepting that the livery that I chose will not appear (Abelio/GEML) could consideration be given to either a plain white primer or unpainted option to make life easier for those happy to finish their model(s)?

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ben

Accepting that the livery that I chose will not appear (Abelio/GEML) could consideration be given to either a plain white primer or unpainted option to make life easier for those happy to finish their model(s)?

Regards

Mike

Hello Mike,

We did offer a plain white version - with underframe black, roof grey and ends yellow. It was designed to offer a good clean "base" for a simple repaint or vinyl job with the hard work (window frames, ends, underframe etc) all taken care of.

Sadly we received barely a handful of orders.

The lesson consistently is everyone agrees undecorated or unnumbered models are a great idea for other people, but never buy them themselves!

However, as there is no MOQ on purely undecorated models we may be able to make that happen.

It's a shame but we have tested the water!

Cheers

Ben A.

Hello Mike,

We did offer a plain white version - with underframe black, roof grey and ends yellow. It was designed to offer a good clean "base" for a simple repaint or vinyl job with the hard work (window frames, ends, underframe etc) all taken care of.

Sadly we received barely a handful of orders.

The lesson consistently is everyone agrees undecorated or unnumbered models are a great idea for other people, but never buy them themselves!

However, as there is no MOQ on purely undecorated models we may be able to make that happen.

It's a shame but we have tested the water!

Cheers

Ben A.

When you asked about a white version I don't think you had started to cull the other options (or at least the options I had paid a deposit on) so there was no need to order one. For those of us with orders for liveries on the 'other' list you may want to ask if we want a plain one rather than cancel the order as you did with the original metro red one.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Bomag,

You're right. I think once we've all seen a bit more progress on this - ie tooled model - then we will revisit some of the decisions we made around liveries and see if there is the potential to give people more options, or at least a better base for them to do some customising.

Cheers

Ben A.

For those of us with orders for liveries on the 'other' list you may want to ask if we want a plain one rather than cancel the order as you did with the original metro red one.

I agree with Bomag - I placed an order for the Silverlink livery 321 which would suit the planned era for my layout, although not the location. I think if it were a case of having to change my livery choice should the Silverlink livery not pull through at the last minute, I would rather have an undecorated model rather than something out-of-period as well as out-of-location.

It may be the same for others, where orders could potentially be lost if their preference were not to go into production, and granted the wrong livery could be oversprayed/repainted, but would be easier and perhaps more appealing using the undecorated model as a basis.

Additionally, is there any benefit in producing the decorated models with two running numbers, with sides and one end each representing a different unit. That way two could be coupled together in opposition and would resemble two different units. Either that, or unnumbered with decal sheets?

Just my two-pence worth!

Cheers,

Mark

Edit - took too long composing my reply, and Ben jumped in first!

Edited by pelhama

Is there still consideration as to whether those wanting undecorated models might be given choice of 321/4 or 321/9? I realise the only real difference is the unit either having DTC and DTS vehicles (321/4) or two DTS vehicles (321/9), but there is visible detail difference between the DTC and DTS vehicles. I'd prefer the option of 321/9, but I could probably live with 321/4s if it really came to it.

Additionally, is there any benefit in producing the decorated models with two running numbers, with sides and one end each representing a different unit. That way two could be coupled together in opposition and would resemble two different units. Either that, or unnumbered with decal sheets?

As said numerous times, the idea of unnumbered sounds great but people refuse to buy them - most of the market want a model they can unbox and either display or put onto the track and run.

The idea of using different sides of a model to represent different units is an interesting idea, though the previous times I have seen they have actually had different liveries.

The problem from a manufacturers point of view is the damage that can be done to the reputation.  While the small number of us on here may understand it, the average buyer (or even retailer) may look at the model and view is as a mistake in manufacture and either return or grumble out it and vow to never buy a model from that company again (particularly once you get to used sales on places like ebay).

• RMweb Premium

For something like a loco in BR large logo livery having different numbers on both sides might work. For something like a multiple unit I can't see the point - most of us don't worry about duplicated numbers on coaches so why worry on a MU?

Steven B.

All,

I agree that in this scale repeated numbers isn’t really an issue, having numerous rakes of identical-numbered stock myself. I just thought I’d play Devil’s Advocate as some can be pretty pedantic about such things. To some extent, given the quality of close-up photos these days, I can see where they’re coming from, and thought it may be worth posing the question before they go into production.

I’m just glad the model is going ahead, and hope that my chosen livery makes it into production.

Cheers,

Mark

hi Gang;

For the two differing running numbers on the same piece of stock...then I am not a fan. I do get the idea, but even in N gauge, some fidelity is needed and I think that differing end numbers is a step too far. I also run many coaches identically numbered but the prime mover eg, loco ofr MU gets a bit more attention.

If the guys can swing it, then I would be up for a plain white model or two as a canvas for a livery not making the cut!!

Later,

STU from EGDL

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Morning!

Any news updates on this one and the tooling?

Best regards,

Jeremy

I too would be grateful for news of this. Money tied up for too long that I could be doing other things with. Pleased that Revolution are bringing out so much new stuff but also a bit frustrating when still no sign of the 321.

• Agree 1

Hi Gang,

A chat with Mike at the Stevenage show last month revealed that they are still in discussion with the factory and things are progressing. There is some hope that a factory change may have made some of the less popular liveries a little more viable in terms of minimum print runs. 

There has been a very long gestation period for this model and it has previously been in real danger of cancellation. It has taken a long time to get ‘over the line’ and now it has then I look forward to seeing a great model in the making given Revolution’s track record to date.

I don’t envy the guys with having to trawl through all the orders and pre-orders to whittle down the options and liveries to everyone’s preferences!!

Maybe some more news to come at Glasgow show.....

Later,

Stu from EGDL.