Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions ? on a sesame seed bun?

Ray Von

1970s back-of-outlet decor would be piles of broken cardboard boxes, those big round galvanised wheelie-bins and a quite astounding smell from the pinkish-yellow water dribbling out of them... I had a vacation job as a dustman and we got an hours overtime for going to them.

One thing - they pioneered the concept of purpose-built premises with lorry access, so include a loading door and a stack of broken pallets which the delivery contractor wouldn't accept back

• RMweb Gold

You'd be looking to model a Casey Jones outlet then.

My second ever job was at Casey Jones at Euston. Being BR owned, I got free travel to and from work on the Harlequin line, which had the added bonus for me getting to Central London Poly :D

Cheers guys, there's still one of those giant metal wheely bins at a block of flats near me!

I'll look quite the nutcase later on when I go taking photos of it for reference!

:-D

A lot of those round wheelie bins were 'swill bins'; catering outlets would put scraps and leavings in them, and the 'pig man' would come round with a lorry with a tail lift or hoist to collect them, replacing them with empties. Nobody ever seemed to clean them, so they always stank- I can still remember the ones by the school canteen, and that was 40+ years ago. After the last Foot and Mouth epidemic in 2001, which was blamed on incorrectly treated swill at a farm just west of Newcastle, the practice was banned.

• RMweb Premium

Early KFC's were take-away only, and often quite small, with a plywood/hardboard cut-out figure of Col Sanders stood outside, about 4ft tall or a bit more. A fellow student in his cups took one for a walk one night and was stopped by the police, who made him take it back. It was almost as tall as him, but he was a small bloke. I hasten to add I wasn't present on that occasion, but lived close by the KFC shop. 

This is sometimes met with a degree of disbelief or incredulity that they've somehow managed to hang on in today's proliferation of unlimited fast food joints. It's a bit like Aberdeen / Angus Steak House.

*checks branch locator*

God Almighty, there are still branches of Wimpy in Borehamwood and Rickmansworth!! I've never noticed them there before!

This is sometimes met with a degree of disbelief or incredulity that they've somehow managed to hang on in today's proliferation of unlimited fast food joints. It's a bit like Aberdeen / Angus Steak House.

*checks branch locator*

God Almighty, there are still branches of Wimpy in Borehamwood and Rickmansworth!! I've never noticed them there before!

Yup - we've got one here in Swanage as well - mind you it's changed hands a few times!

Archived