The Great Electric Train Show

HMEvents

I had been looking forward to this exhibition for a few months. It was the first time that I had been to this one so didn't really know what to expect crowd wise. When I got there on Saturday morning, there was a steady stream of people heading for it. When I finally got upstairs it was packed. Never seen so many people trying to move around and look at the layouts. The layouts were of good quality and I enjoyed them. After looking around the trains, I headed back downstairs and had a look around the cars. A great day out and thoroughly enjoyed it. Below are some pictures I took so I hope you enjoy them.

post-3641-0-79706400-1444586870_thumb.jpg

post-3641-0-83801800-1444586879.jpg

post-3641-0-86035800-1444586888.jpg

post-3641-0-60403800-1444586897.jpg

post-3641-0-24432000-1444586905.jpg

post-3641-0-21925700-1444586916.jpg

post-3641-0-68116400-1444586926.jpg

post-3641-0-28745800-1444586935.jpg

post-3641-0-83163000-1444586942.jpg

post-3641-0-73065900-1444586952.jpg

post-3641-0-09672000-1444586966.jpg

post-3641-0-14145200-1444586975.jpg

post-3641-0-78950800-1444586983.jpg

post-3641-0-39153800-1444586994_thumb.jpg

post-3641-0-53325000-1444587001.jpg

Cheers

Mark (Alchemy)

• RMweb Gold

I went today and was pleasantly surprised, better than i thought it would be, the only down sides being stuff that has been discussed before, the odd arrangement around the venue, im sure i probably missed a few rooms, and there were a few i kept ending back up at despite me thinking i was somewhere else completely!

I saw a lot of people in wheelchairs, with prams etc struggling to get around as the isles were quite narrow and there were a few layout i couldnt see for that reason but other than that it was definatly worth a visit as i was in the vicinity and a look round the museum included in the price was a bonus, i did the gift aid thing so the ticket became an annual pass but i left my program (with it inside) in the 3D scanning room (but i dont think i'll be passing at a time its open or im not heading to or from work anyway)

• RMweb Gold

Agreed. Saturday morning was awful. Was ok by 3. The layout was very poor and very cramped. Not enjoyable.

Although another cramped dead end, abbots wood in a room on its own was a good way of letting sound be appreciated.

And we had air con too.....!!!

Phil

Went yesterday and agree with above comments re space.  It was a great exhibition but very difficult to see the layouts and not enough space between to get past though would have helped if people weren't so inconsiderate and blocked the gangways.  I didn't see anything new on the Hornby stall but had a chat with the young guy manning it who was friendly and knowledgable.  Shame Tim Shackleton wasn't in attendance (apparently unwell) as I wanted to chat about his wonderful weathering techniques. Great to see Abbotswood Junction (eventually!) and Widnes Yard - in fact all layouts were very good. Agree that Sunday might be better - anyone go today able to say if it was quieter? 

• RMweb Premium

Yes I went today and talking to many of the traders it seems all though busy this morning a lot easier to get around today than yesterday.

Most enjoyable exhibition with the added bonus of all the motoring exhibits downstairs and my tickets allows me to go again at no charge to view the motors

Congratulations to all the Hornby team

Terry

• RMweb Gold

it was busy today by about 12:30, just gave up even trying to look at the layouts

i must admit i was impressed by the trade presence there, i dont know why but i wasnt expecting to see as many smaller suppliers or 'model shops' as i did which was nice, still didnt come away with anything though

i must have missed some of it as i didnt see graham muz' layout (i think)

as an aside the guy on the Hornby stand said there will be a colas 60 but not til late next year/early 2017, i think i can wait that long rather than respraying one

I was there with a layout and the club stand, and in the triangular room with our layout in front of a curved wall (!) there was plenty of room, as they had learned from last year. At the other end of the venue though, space was severely lacking. It wasn't that the exhibition was busy, (although I gather that the numbers were up on 2014) so much as that too much was crammed into a pint pot. Venue staff at other local venues would not permit the show to open with aisles under 10' wide: here, in places, it was not possible for two wheelchairs to pass each other. I have a lot of sympathy for the exhibitors and traders who were in those parts of the venue. 

I understand that next year this will be improved, due to changes in the placement of the cafe and kitchens that are being planned by the Heritage Motor Centre. I don't know where they'll be placing them, but I understand it will give more room at that end of the site.

Now to the positives - and in particular the layouts. There were a number of very good layouts, and once the crowding died down in the afternoons they deserved a lot of study. It wasn't just the quality of modelling, but also some interesting design - for example the modern image roundy-roundy being operated from the ends.

Overall then not a perfect show, but one which shows that they are learning, and where the obvious faults of the venue are being looked at and worked around. 

• RMweb Gold

Shame Tim Shackleton wasn't in attendance (apparently unwell) as I wanted to chat about his wonderful weathering techniques.

I know it's a bit late now (!) but you could have chatted to me about Tim's weathering techniques - I'm an unashamed copycat.

• RMweb Gold

. It wasn't just the quality of modelling, but also some interesting design - for example the modern image roundy-roundy being operated from the ends.

If that's Abootswood it means we can talk to the punters - ECoS at one end, throttle ap on tablet at the other. Intention is eventually to move to two tablets....

Phil

I was fortunate enough to see and listen to the art of weathering demonstrations by Mick Bonwick and very good they were too. Brilliant actually.

Ha, ha ha 25p for his Prairie Tank and I had to think about it.

post-18996-0-09782800-1444680667_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Pierre took some video that gives some idea of how well things were running - except for the derailment of course, bound to happen when the camera came out.....

https://youtu.be/jbuoJP0ZwIA

The sunset at the end was awesome too.....

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the pics above, much appreciated as I was going to go to the 'show' on the Sunday with my young son and not-so-young father, but had second thoughts the night before - mainly because I had already taken them both to the Gloucs Warks Diesel Gala on the Saturday and a second 'day of trains' I thought was pushing it! Plus after having bought the 'family' gala ticket (at around 40 quid), spending a further 30 quid for the exhibition entry on Sunday slightly put me off.

Anyway, having read here the comments about the overcrowding I think I made the right decision not to go on the Sunday with the family in tow, better to wait for a time when I can do it solo!

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I didn't visit this year purely based on my experience the previous year with taking my young son and having problems with overcrowding and rude people. it seems my fears of a repeat performance were justified sadly. Events like this should encourage family visitors, which I believe they try to do, the floorplan sadly does not. I wonder how many return visits were put off following last year, or even this year?. The problem is, it takes a number of years to bounce back putting people off attending, I shall probably not visit next year until I hear good reports that the problems have been rectified, which will probably will be the following year then.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived