Heljan Class 25 in 7mm

Jack

• 1 month later...

In view of the impending winter, Laira has fitted snowploughs...

attachicon.gifIMG_0145.jpg

Hi

How much trouble did you have fitting your snowploughs? I’m not sure if the four screws Heljan have supplied are physically too big for the pre-drilled holes, or they’re somehow cross threading. Either way, about half a turn of the screw is all I can manage on any combination of any of the four screws on any of the four holes, so they’re all equally wrong!

Heljan somehow never disappoint!

Hi

How much trouble did you have fitting your snowploughs? I’m not sure if the four screws Heljan have supplied are physically too big for the pre-drilled holes, or they’re somehow cross threading. Either way, about half a turn of the screw is all I can manage on any combination of any of the four screws on any of the four holes, so they’re all equally wrong!

Heljan somehow never disappoint!

I had the same problem and on closer exam the two centre prong like things on the ploughs need chopping down then everything fitted fine.

I had the same problem and on closer exam the two centre prong like things on the ploughs need chopping down then everything fitted fine.

Thanks for that...I’ll have a look at the centre prongs.

However, what I should have mentioned in my first post above is that I also tried just fitting the screws into their respective holes in the underside of the loco without the snowploughs attached, and they still wouldn’t tighten!

It might be that there’s a bit of swarf etc left over from when the holes were drilled and tapped in the factory, and my little screwdriver can’t offer enough torque to overcome the resistance.....I’ll keep plugging away!

What’s frustrating is that this is my second 25, as the first one had to go back as it had a broken drive shaft from one motor.

Thanks for that...I’ll have a look at the centre prongs.

However, what I should have mentioned in my first post above is that I also tried just fitting the screws into their respective holes in the underside of the loco without the snowploughs attached, and they still wouldn’t tighten!

It might be that there’s a bit of swarf etc left over from when the holes were drilled and tapped in the factory, and my little screwdriver can’t offer enough torque to overcome the resistance.....I’ll keep plugging away!

What’s frustrating is that this is my second 25, as the first one had to go back as it had a broken drive shaft from one motor.

I found the same with the screws. My solution was to reduce their length a bit with a Dremel and cutting disc. Worked a treat.

There’s quite a price difference between the ESU XL and L for this Class 25 project. Is that due purely to the fact that you have to solder the wires to the L decoder, or does the L come with an inferior speaker than that with the XL?

Sorry:  I missed this question!

The XL is far more powerfull, has two independant speaker outputs and has 2 X StayAlive capictors  Pre Fitted. Thus re the power two/three speaker fitted locos are possibly.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I agree with those who praise this little loco as Heljan's best to date.  Here's my pair; factory weathered one the left, weathered by me on the right.  Great little runners, too.

Happy New Year, everyone.  

PM

post-3981-0-28348200-1546214123_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great pic and agree it’s their best with the 45 close. What paints did you use for the weathering it looks fantastic.

How kind of you.  I'm afraid it was weathered with nothing more exotic than a couple of rattle cans (Railmatch frame dirt for the chassis/lower body, Roof dirt for the roof), enhanced with some weathering powders on the chassis and the roof.  And some white powder for the stain from the fan (and I'm not sure what the stain is, but I saw a lot of pics with it in, so thought I'd try and copy it).  

• Like 1

How kind of you.  I'm afraid it was weathered with nothing more exotic than a couple of rattle cans (Railmatch frame dirt for the chassis/lower body, Roof dirt for the roof), enhanced with some weathering powders on the chassis and the roof.  And some white powder for the stain from the fan (and I'm not sure what the stain is, but I saw a lot of pics with it in, so thought I'd try and copy it).  

The stain will be more than likely be from china clay loading (it was on many locos in say the south west around that time) 

I agree with those who praise this little loco as Heljan's best to date.  Here's my pair; factory weathered one the left, weathered by me on the right.  Great little runners, too.

Happy New Year, everyone.  

PM

attachicon.gifIMG_0499.jpg

Where did you get the dominos from to replace the ‘0000’ on the factory weathered version.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi, sorry for bringing this thread back to life.

I’ve got a blue livered class 25/3. I have kept it in its box until recently.

The cab end windows at both ends have gone opaque. The side windows are all clear as they should be.

Has anyone else had this happen and does anyone have any ideas how to resolve it as I want to put it on display.

Thanks in advance, stay safe, well and happy.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 08221 said:

Has anyone else had this happen and does anyone have any ideas how to resolve it as I want to put it on display.

Buy some replacements from Gaugemaster?

Mine is boxed - not sure if I want to check now or not!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 08221 said:

Hi, sorry for bringing this thread back to life.

I’ve got a blue livered class 25/3. I have kept it in its box until recently.

The cab end windows at both ends have gone opaque. The side windows are all clear as they should be.

Thanks in advance, stay safe, well and happy.

I have had this happen with a class 40

The problem is there never seems to be enough spares provided by Heljan, especially replacement glazing

• Thanks 1