Prototype HST announced for N

mikeharvey22

At the International N Gauge Show today Dapol displayed a 3D printed power car for the prototype HST as part of a commissioned set for the Miller Project. Mid 2016 release. Exclusively available from Dapol.

Fascinating news.

Now I wonder who will produce it in 00?

Paul

Edited by Fenman

Great news about the Prototype HST being produced and I too wonder who will announce it in OO.

As for the APT-E it was an experimental design due to trials being conducted using gas turbines to power trains. It was deemed a faolure as the combustion chambers were always needing to be repaired due to the high temperatures being produced and as a result the discussion turnee to the possibility of using electric power as overhead wires were beginning to appear on the network and so the first APT-P set 370001 was built and extensively tested before the remaining sets were built in order to iron out the bugs but even then there were still problems during testing and eventually the project was halted.

I think you may have your wires crossed. It was never a test bed for gas turbines. It was a test bed for high speed tilting train technology. Gas turbines were used because a lightweight power source that could be used on non-electric lines was required. They were pretty much adapted off the shelf automotive items, just for powering the experimental train only and not for future use. As such any reliability issues of the turbines were irrelevant to the success of the train, just an inconvenience if problematic. The production APT-P's and subsequent versions were always going to be electric, even before APT-E was even built, let alone started testing.

I think you may have your wires crossed. It was never a test bed for gas turbines. It was a test bed for high speed tilting train technology. Gas turbines were used because a lightweight power source that could be used on non-electric lines was required. They were pretty much adapted off the shelf automotive items, just for powering the experimental train only and not for future use. As such any reliability issues of the turbines were irrelevant to the success of the train, just an inconvenience if problematic. The production APT-P's and subsequent versions were always going to be electric, even before APT-E was even built, let alone started testing.

All the info on APT-E, from the horses' mouth, is in the Rapido APT-E thread.

What excellent news. Where and when can I put my order in?

Is there any information yet as to whether this commission is only of the power cars, or whether there is a plan to produce the whole train? It would be really great if a prototype Mk 3 trailer were to be produced as well - with the correct flush/frameless appearance to the window apertures, and the roof featuring 3 roe-vac ventilators at each end, rather than one large square one. This could then be sold as a spare, and/or incorporated into future "Mk 3a" hauled stock production, to make these vehicles more accurate. I'd buy at least 10 such Mk 3a roofs if they were made available as a separate item. 

Also, these prototype Mk 3 trailers could be released in a number of other more recent liveries (Blue and Grey, INTERCITY, GNER, FGW, Virgin, NXEC and possibly others), as five of these vehicles were rebuilt to run in the production trains - initially as TF 41170-41174, then later mostly further converted to TS.

Cheers

Tom.

Edited by tiger

It would be really great if a prototype Mk 3 trailer were to be produced as well - with the correct flush/frameless appearance to the window apertures, and the roof featuring 3 roe-vac ventilators at each end, rather than one large square one. This could then be sold as a spare, and/or incorporated into future "Mk 3a" hauled stock production, to make these vehicles more accurate. I'd buy at least 10 such Mk 3a roofs if they were made available as a separate item. 

Cheers

Tom.

The issue with the roof vents on the prototypes and Mk3a TSO/FO and having a replacement roof has been covered before on the forum and was not going to be a runner.

Speaking to Andy yesterday, it would appear that several options are currently being investigated. One issue is that 2 types of buffet car were used in the set when in service and Dapol only makes 1 of the 2 variants. Another question is should it be released as a train pack or as a solo power car. From our discussion yesterday, it would seem that no final decision has been made yet but the aim at the moment is to get decorated samples ready for Ally Pally. As Andy says, Dapol want to get this one right because all profits are going to Project Miller so they want it to sell.

hallo,

if sold as a pack of 2power cars and 2 two coaches, good chance that Dapol will get slammed if the other coaches are not produced, especially if a the other catering car is not produced

if sold as a single power car good chance that Dapol will get slammed for not producing the other vehicles.

So saying this I hope the community respect Dapol's decision whatever that is and although I am will out myself as not being a huge Dapol fan (Silver Bullets aside) I will definitely support this project. Maybe a product more suitable for the absolutely current scene, where "anything goes" when it comes to liveries

I seriously do not want to open a can of worms, when I write that I just find the comment about Dapol wanting to "get this one right" strange, as that should be their strategy for all their products. Or am I missing something?

es grüßt

pc 

Single power car could be used to model one of those shortish test trains which had other stock apart from mark3s in the rake. I think the livery may have been slightly different though. I seem to recall lots of yellow on the front of the power car

Edited by andy stroud

• RMweb Gold

hallo,

<snipped>

I seriously do not want to open a can of worms, when I write that I just find the comment about Dapol wanting to "get this one right" strange, as that should be their strategy for all their products. Or am I missing something?

es grüßt

pc 

Hi PC,

I suspect they mean they want to get the marketing variations right - ie complete train, single items, mix of this - rather than that they want to get the model right.

In fact the model - albeit with the usual limitations of low-end 3D printing - looks very good to me.

cheers

Ben A.

Hallo Ben,

Thanks for clearing that point. I will look forward to this model being on sale. The photos show that it will be good. Everybody should be encouraged to buy it. I unfortunately did not ride it back then, saw it a couple of times at Cardiff (was it still General back then?) and the only time I would have been able to travel on it in service, they substituted the normal Class47 & MK2s, it was 9am ex Paddington can't remember the return trip from Swansea

es grüßt

pc