Prototype HST announced for N

mikeharvey22

True. I plan to model the Prototype HST during its time on the ECML so perhaps I should be bemoaning the lack of RTR Mk1 buffet car in reverse blue and grey running on BT5 bogies...

However I am not aware of many (if any) occasions when the formation was 2+8 with 4 TF and 4 TS. I just wonder whether coaching stock packs of 3 trailers in each might have been more economical for potential buyers (potentially encouraging more people to put in the expression of interest and thus increasing the likelihood of the model going ahead) whilst still letting people model most of the formations which ran during testing and in service.

Only my (probably flawed) opinion though.

Cheers

Tom.

Well they have modelled all the prototype HST stock which perhaps is to be welcomed. However 1 TS and 1 TF went very early to be used on the Royal Train so indeed the window when they could have run all 8 TF and TS together would have been very short.

Chris

Fairly sure on TF and one TS never actually ran in the set but ran as lhcs on the wmcl. Carried M numbers M1100x.

Cheers

Shane

I'm sure I recall seeing a prototype Mk.3 on the WCML somewhere around 1973 - I used to do a fair bit of trainspotting round London with a friend in those days and we were often around Willesden and Old Oak Common as well as the Cross, St. P, Padd and Euston. The reverse livery stood out, of course.

Fairly sure on TF and one TS never actually ran in the set but ran as lhcs on the wmcl. Carried M numbers M1100x.

Cheers

Shane

When built they were considered LHCS. They were initially going to be 3217 to 3220 and 5805 to 5808. Then there was the decision to start a new number series so were built as 11000-11003 and 12000-12003. When first on test they remained as LHCS - from the photos I have seen the maximum number of day coaches used at any one time was 7.  11001 and 12001 were allocated for conversion before the project was reclassified as an DMU so were not renumbered in the 4100x and 4200x range. Does anybody know the date of classification? I infer that it was before the entry into ghost public service.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure I recall seeing a prototype Mk.3 on the WCML somewhere around 1973 - I used to do a fair bit of trainspotting round London with a friend in those days and we were often around Willesden and Old Oak Common as well as the Cross, St. P, Padd and Euston. The reverse livery stood out, of course.

I've seen a photo somewhere with an 87 hauling it with a couple of other coaches, can't remember where i saw the picture! 

Carl

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned or really matters that much but the power cars are different. 41001 has bogies with diagonal dampers and 41002 had standard production HST bogies. They have differing cantrail grilles too and 41002 had standard HST large side grilles unlike 41001 which has finer grilles. The blue band also didn't penetrate 41002's grilles.

It wouldn't bother me if the models were the same but it's a bit annoying having just sliced the dampers off my Lima bogies and fitted the the diagonal type to my ADB975813 when I could have left them standard and it would have been right.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well , 325 in red waiting grey roof and transfers- got these years ago from Fox before Bob Davies created the 3D prints, plan to use 150 rolling chassis for outer ends and Bobs chassis units for middles so pretty well on the way therefore only time for  it to be announced- unless this is the exception that proves the rule - should I finish it?

Robert  

• 5 weeks later...

Great to see this is going ahead. Slightly makes up for the underwhelming announcement from the "other team" yesterday. ;) Just to get people in the mood, here is a pic of a nice shorty rake on a test run passing Didcot in 1975.

cDave-Hird-Prototype-HST-Didcot-Feb-1975

• Like 3

Great to see this is going ahead. Slightly makes up for the underwhelming announcement from the "other team" yesterday. ;) Just to get people in the mood, here is a pic of a nice shorty rake on a test run passing Didcot in 1975.

cDave-Hird-Prototype-HST-Didcot-Feb-1975

Seven coaches were modified for use in production HSTs which may offer scope for further liveries -buffers were removed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Given Dapol were reluctant to make any concessions to the variation in mk3s buffers/no buffers aside I can't imagine they'll offer the prototype coaches in any of the liveries they went on to wear.

I'm still surprised (although it's good) that they're actually tooling for the prototype coaches, rather than reusing what they've got.

• 8 months later...

From today's open day.

IMG_2721.JPG.e95acea8e706b09f5eca366d4a797164.JPG

Sorry about the poor quality pic - the EP was running but the young man behind the layout speeded it up when I pointed a camera at it...  The black coach behind is an EP for the Mark 3 trailers to go with the poer car.

The tooling has now been approved including three (?) types of trailer.  The comment was that modifying the Mark 3 tooling has taken time but has opened up the possibility of doing some of the operator upgraded Mark 3s with changed door types.

Decoration samples are in production.

Les

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 2