Prototype HST announced for N

mikeharvey22

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I ordered one of these but cant find any confirmation emails and cant see anything on my Dapol account - Any ideas how to check if ordered as dont want to miss out! My previous experiences of emailing Dapol resulted in no response and deadline is looming  TIA

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Richp1976 said:

I think I ordered one of these but cant find any confirmation emails and cant see anything on my Dapol account - Any ideas how to check if ordered as dont want to miss out! My previous experiences of emailing Dapol resulted in no response and deadline is looming  TIA

Hi

I got an email when I ordered the title of which was Dapol order - xxxxx where xxxxx is my order number. The order also shows when I log in to my Dapol account.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Richp1976 said:

Hi

If you have a Dapol Account it should be under "My Orders" as per below. Once you click on that it should list all your pre-orders. And if you look across to the right there's a symbol of a page with a magnifying glass on it - if you click that it brings up the actual order page similar to what was probably e-mailed to you at the time of order.

Hope this helps

Tony

image.png.6a24a0793a8899f5988776c320f8f86b.png

• Like 1

Looks good so far.

But....

The saloon vehicles seem to be lacking some end detail - RCH jumper leads etc - they look like production HST Trailer vehicle ends not prototype Mark 3s.  I suspect Dapol have scanned or looked at one of the remaining prototype trailers which were rebuilt to run in the production HSTs, but haven’t backdated the details to mid 70’s condition. This photo on Traintesting show the end details I’m talking about:

http://www.traintesting.com/images/E12000 coach.jpg

Also the gangway bellows look decidedly “production HST” rather than the saggy grey foam of the prototype HST (Jouef got this right in their OO Mk3a model all those years ago):

http://www.traintesting.com/images/Mk3 coach RTC 1972.jpg

The catering vehicles should have silver window surrounds - they were the only Prototype HST trailers with this feature, the saloons having the distinctive unique frameless appearance:

https://flic.kr/p/DDk2zW

And finally the coaches should be lettered “InterCity” on the saloons, “Buffet” on E10000 and “Restaurant” on E10100. Perhaps this hasn’t been added as they are only 1st livery samples.

I really like the power car and saloon mouldings - and the roof with the 3 roe vac ventilators each end. I hope this roof is available as a spare part so we can add them to our loco hauled Mk 3a coaches.

Cheers

Tom.

Edited by tiger
Functional links added
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, tiger said:

Looks good so far.

But....

The saloon vehicles seem to be lacking some end detail - RCH jumper leads etc - they look like production HST Trailer vehicle ends not prototype Mark 3s.  I suspect Dapol have scanned or looked at one of the remaining prototype trailers which were rebuilt to run in the production HSTs, but haven’t backdated the details to mid 70’s condition. This photo on Traintesting show the end details I’m talking about:

http://www.traintesting.com/images/E12000 coach.jpg

Also the gangway bellows look decidedly “production HST” rather than the saggy grey foam of the prototype HST (Jouef got this right in their OO Mk3a model all those years ago):

http://www.traintesting.com/images/Mk3 coach RTC 1972.jpg

The catering vehicles should have silver window surrounds - they were the only Prototype HST trailers with this feature, the saloons having the distinctive unique frameless appearance:

https://flic.kr/p/DDk2zW

And finally the coaches should be lettered “InterCity” on the saloons, “Buffet” on E10000 and “Restaurant” on E10100. Perhaps this hasn’t been added as they are only 1st livery samples.

I really like the power car and saloon mouldings - and the roof with the 3 roe vac ventilators each end. I hope this roof is available as a spare part so we can add them to our loco hauled Mk 3a coaches.

Cheers

Tom.

Please do pass on your findings to Dapol, they don't publicly post here. If you have constructive feedback, pass it on to them so that everyone can have a better model.

8 hours ago, letterspider said:

Well done Dapol - now scale it up to OO please

I’m all for that.

On the face of it, with the 00 market being several times larger than the N market and the N scale version being viable, it would seem to be a winner.

However, it seems that there are some shortcomings in the coaches which would be more evident in 00 than N, which would lead to increased tooling costs. Dare I say that 00 modellers might be more picky than N?

There is also the worry for Dapol that, if an 00 model is announced, NRM and Rapido might suddenly decide to go ahead with their model, currently on ice.

My strategy would be to try to avoid the coaches altogether, produce the power car which is in preservation, in the livery of its RTC days and do a limited edition version of the second power car.

Oxford Rail would probably be receptive to a run of their Mark 3's in the prototype livery if they were commisioned to do it by a healthy number of pre orders. Considering the price of repaints on eBay, there is a demand even for coaches which are not the same detail.

I would also watch Hornby's APT P very closely and see how well it sells. It is likely to cost as much as Rapido's APT E but we can expect Railroad range compromises on details and features. Will the discerning collector accept it?

• RMweb Gold

Viz the coaches it is amazing how few photos - tens rather than hundreds - found while researching the project, no doubt zillions will appear once model appears!  Yes it is a compromise of using the exsisting corridor connection but it might be possible to do the current tooling in grey vice black.  

The underframe is the loco hauled buffer fitted affair and I guess is just black plastic and a stock factory item - but  a waft of brown possible.

Lettering and numbering is there but looks to be bleached out by the lighting for the photo. I guess a tonal tweak to make more visible - the real thing looks of on old black and white photos but some of the colour ones do also show the "disappearing legends" issue!

Robert    

16 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Please do pass on your findings to Dapol, they don't publicly post here. If you have constructive feedback, pass it on to them so that everyone can have a better model.

Hi MGR

What is the best way to give this feedback? Email, Dapol Digest, Facebook or some other way?

Cheers, 

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dapol digest as good as any  facebook as well.  Certainly brown for the underframes will show on second art versions as will a slightly better rail grey/ white contrast to show numbers and legends.  Logo on the first ones known about but were for sizing not full colour registration. 

Has to be said  corridor connections are not going to get changed - I suggested doing them in grey with yellow door but what do you think. They will not be quite the right shape as has been picked up here - any chance of a 3D print aftermarket?  MGR - H I am sure has more skill me !!!!

Robert    

5 hours ago, tiger said:

Hi MGR

What is the best way to give this feedback? Email, Dapol Digest, Facebook or some other way?

Cheers, 

Tom.

Dapol Digest and Facebook are the fastest means to contact them. However if you aren't a member of the Dapol Digest yet, approval may take a while. Facebook is your next best bet.

4 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Has to be said  corridor connections are not going to get changed - I suggested doing them in grey with yellow door but what do you think. They will not be quite the right shape as has been picked up here - any chance of a 3D print aftermarket?  MGR - H I am sure has more skill me !!!!

Robert    

If the Dapol Mk3 coaches have a "plug-in" corridor connection, I am more than willing to draw up a replacement set. Just need a few basic dimensions and a couple of pictures.

If Robert or anyone else has any such information, please do PM us, we'll sort that out.

On 01/02/2020 at 14:18, MGR Hooper! said:

Dapol Digest and Facebook are the fastest means to contact them. However if you aren't a member of the Dapol Digest yet, approval may take a while. Facebook is your next best bet.

I've sent  PM to Dapol on the Dapol Digest. 

I don't think the gangway is a separate plug in moulding on the Dapol Mk3 - pretty sure the gangways and other end details are moulded as part of a single piece body shell. 

Cheers

Tom.

2 hours ago, tiger said:

I've sent  PM to Dapol on the Dapol Digest. 

I don't think the gangway is a separate plug in moulding on the Dapol Mk3 - pretty sure the gangways and other end details are moulded as part of a single piece body shell. 

Cheers

Tom.

As @Steadfast says, the corridor connections are removable. @Robert Shrives has been in touch with me and if all goes well We'll be able to get some 3D printed replacement ends for you'll.

Cheers!

• Like 1