Prototype HST announced for N

mikeharvey22

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shane,

What do you think is wrong?  

I wondered whether the three small bodyside grilles grouped together should be fractionally further back but I am not that familiar with the real thing and thought it might just be down to the angle of the photo being deceptive.

cheers

Ben A.

Hello all,

From the photo it seems that is the same 3D print they had at TINGS. Very nice but now I am looking forward to seeing the actual injection moulded body.

As to the coaches, it would make sense to offer a prototypical rake rather wouldn't it?

cheers

Ben A.

If they are going to the effort of getting the power cars right then at the very least the catering vehicles should be accurate and not generic.

Hi Shane,

I wondered whether the three small bodyside grilles grouped together should be fractionally further back but I am not that familiar with the real thing and thought it might just be down to the angle of the photo being deceptive.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

I'll post up some pics later which will assist in explaining what the issue is.

Cheers

Shane

If they are going to the effort of getting the power cars right then at the very least the catering vehicles should be accurate and not generic.

Well maybe, but if so then why didn't we get the proper buffets for the production HSTs of which there were far more, and which (I assume) they sold more of as well than they will of this one-off.

Well maybe, but if so then why didn't we get the proper buffets for the production HSTs of which there were far more, and which (I assume) they sold more of as well than they will of this one-off.

Unless Dapol are using this as a vehicle for part funding new tooling for the MK3's and introducing some new vehicles for the range?

Hi Shane,

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

I have attempted to indicate by how much the small bodyside grilles are misplaced in this pic. The black lines are where the outside edges of the grillles should be

25102193332_a8628567f4_c.jpgS2900011-1 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

Edited by Wolf27

• RMweb Gold

Hi Shane,

That's great, thanks.  I felt the three grilles needed to be fractionally further back, but had not appreciated the forward grille also needed to be moved.  I wonder if it's a simple CAD error where the four grilles have been positioned, then accidentally shifted.

cheers

Ben A.

In pedantic mode the prototype HST did not have two buffets it had one buffet (TRB) and one kitchen car (TRUK). As for picking holes in the design of the generic TRSB/TRUK/RFM, even a coach nut like myself would find it hard to tell the difference, I would much rather have a three vent roof open with no secondary coach locks.   

Hi Ben

I have attempted to indicate by how much the small bodyside grilles are misplaced in this pic. The black lines are where the outside edges of the grillles should be

25102193332_a8628567f4_c.jpgS2900011-1 by Shane Wilton, on Flickr

cheers

Shane

Hi Shane,

That's great, thanks.  I felt the three grilles needed to be fractionally further back, but had not appreciated the forward grille also needed to be moved.  I wonder if it's a simple CAD error where the four grilles have been positioned, then accidentally shifted.

cheers

Ben A.

Well that's an issue that won't bother me, but it will bother a lot of people especially since it's now made public. I highly suggest that you contact Dapol via facebook and make them aware of the issue. Facebook is the only means in which you'll get a reply within the day.

• 4 weeks later...

Just posted on Facebook....

Dapol  and Miller Trust  HST Prototype Project

We released details of the HST Prototype project over the weekend at the Alexandra Place exhibition.

To determine if this project is viable, we are asking potential customers to register their interest by completing the Expression of Interest form, which can be found here:

http://Dapol.co.uk/image/data/HST_specification (002).pdf

Please note, we are not asking for money or deposits, the purpose of the registration is to see if there are enough people interested in the purchase to make the project viable and sensible. If we do not receive more than 700 Expressions of Interest, then we will not proceed. All registrants will be kept updated on progress of the project from finalisation of the design, production of tooling, engineering prototypes to the livery application. Once complete, the model can be purchased ether direct from the Miller Project or via the Dapol Website.

The project will involve the production of an all new Power car and correctly modelled coach tooling. The only matter of compromise will be the buffet as it was considered this would put too much cost on the set for one coach.

As detailed when first announced at Warley, all trade profits are being donated to the Miller Project for the continued upkeep of this incredibly important prototype.

It is now in potential customer’s hands to see if this model is created. We will publish updates regularly on progress to reach the target expression total.

It seems a pity that Dapol are not producing any of the catering vehicles. Whilst I understand the reasoning, the full-length set rarely ran without these. If you want to run a "shorty" set without catering cars then you probably won't need all the 1sts and 2nds.

It seems a pity that Dapol are not producing any of the catering vehicles. Whilst I understand the reasoning, the full-length set rarely ran without these. If you want to run a "shorty" set without catering cars then you probably won't need all the 1sts and 2nds.

Definitely agree on the catering vehicles; I was thinking this was a dead cert but now I will have to consider it. If it was just the power cars or 8 car set with re-liveried RFMs then fine but AFAIK it almost never ran with 4 FO+4TSO - for a start  11001/12001 were hived off to the royal train fairly early.

Having looked at the flyer it has two extra reverse liveried coaches why? Since the book set has all eight. Now if the did them as 41001/002 42001/002, 41170-41174 or 42353-42357 in B/G, ICE or ICS then I would have some.

I thought this was some sort of Locomotion product and now it's not even guaranteed, if that was the case why invest in the CAD.

I know it would have to be done at some point but surely you make your offer to the masses then CAD/3D/Tool.

And why no catering vehicles, not even a hybrid this time.

The price is about right though I think, I wonder what it would have added for the catering vehicles, maybe they should ask us if we want to pay?

I had considered signing up for this as at £349 its a good price. However without the catering cars its somewhat lacking. Also they appear to be offering the departmental variants with a set of coaches. As far as I know it never ran like this, the power cars became departmental locos when the set was disbanded and didn't receive the all yellow cabs straight away. it too much of a compromise and a mismatch of styles. 

cheers

Shane

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I agree there are compromises but this is a great chance to get a prototype HST with proper prototype coaches, plus you're supporting the fantastic work of project Miller too.

I'd have preferred it maybe with just six coaches instead of 8, but they may have had to produce that many to make the tooling pay.

I'm definitely in.

cheers

Ben A.

If I do decide to sign up, it's highly likely it will live on a display shelf. It wouldn't be beyond me to make a couple of catering cars from the current offerings. The overall effect will do the job and as you say Ben, it's supporting Project Miller.

Cheers

Shane

Have to its unfortunately now a no from me. As much as I wanted an N gauge prototype HST I was hoping that it was going to be a 2+2 bookset like all of their other offerings, which would have been fine for "rule 1" running, as it is, I can't see them getting anything like enough interest to see this project through. 700 expressions of interest for a product over £300 is alot... I wish them the best of luck and I'll pop the Project Miller team somethng to help them keep up their magnificent work.

I don't think the price is an issue, eight coaches alone would be £200 to £240 and these are being retooled especially.

Then there is the limited run tolling for the power units.

Selling short sets is going to leave Dapol in an awkward situation unless they only build what is ordered with limited extras for failures. If they build less then the cost goes up which means everything has to go up or the ROI nosedives.

I think ultimately they are right to sell this as a complete set but wrong not to at least offer the option of the catering cars.

• RMweb Gold

I'm afraid the price puts it out of my league. I would have liked to have the option of just the power cars in their later Departmental guise to run with some RTC stock.

Sorry, Project Miller and Dapol - it's a "no" from me :(

I'm afraid the price puts it out of my league. I would have liked to have the option of just the power cars in their later Departmental guise to run with some RTC stock.

Sorry, Project Miller and Dapol - it's a "no" from me :(

Same here...I'd love to support this project. But I have other more important commitments

If Dapol decide to do the buffet cars (Or use existing tooling that has a few errors but allows for a otherwise prototypical formation) I'd have one of each set but otherwise at the moment if a full set is not likely to happen then meh ...