Inverkeilor - Early Photograph(s) sought.

Penlan

I went to school in Inverkeilor in the early 1950's and as retirement gives me less time to pursue activities, I'm being diverted to wonder what Inverkeilor Station was like, pre. WW2 or even WW1, however a search on Google Images doesn't bring up anything (for me, anyway).
Can somebody be kind enough to point me in a direction to satisfy my curiosity, please.

I still have in my left elbow skin, small ash fragments from when I came off my bike and drifted along the goods entrance ash track/road.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

I would try Niall Ferguson; he is somewhat of an expert on the lines east of Dundee.

He will not be on here but is likely to be contactable via the Caledonian Society.  The Caledonian Society and the Highland Society have a southern meeting on 10 October, he is almost certainly going to be there.  I appreciate that Farnborough is slightly relative term to someone in west cornwall, but.................

Here are a couple of shots of Inverkeilor before the platforms were cut back which will at least give an idea - but probably you remember it like this from your schooldays. Before WW1 there was a Saturday afternoon local from Arbroath to Inverkeilor only. 

Down platform looking south:

post-7032-0-13185200-1442511426.jpg

View looking north: Inverkeilor station in 1950

One big change was that the line north of Inverkeilor was only doubled in the interwar period - I can't remember the exact dates but I think it had reached Lunan Bay by 1930. As you probably know it is still single for a couple of miles between Usan (or Usan Junction as it's now called) and Montrose. You can see the 1901 station layout here and the Up line extends north of the station as a long siding for a few hundred yards before stopping dead here. By 1923, the siding had only extended another few hundred yards - it seems like the viaduct over the Lunan Water were the obstacle.

From the maps, there was never an awning on the Down side building, but there was a footbridge and a smaller platform building on the Up side.

Apart from an extra refuge siding on the Up side which I imagine was added in WW2, the layout seems to have been unchanged until the goods yard was closed in (?) the 1990s.

I thnk I'm right in saying that Inverkeilor signalbox has the oldest lever frame still in use in Scotland: it dates from when the box was built in the 1880s.

regards

Graham

Edited by Graham R
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The line was single track throughout when it opened in 1883, with tablet exchange at St. Vigean's, Inverkeilor, Lunan Bay, Montrose and Hillside. The tablet exchange at St. Vigean's was removed when the line from there to Inverkeilor was doubled in 1897. In 1906 a new loop was put in at Usan.

The LNER doubled the section from Inverkeilor to Usan from 1928 to 1932, as well as the section from Montrose to Hillside. All the intermediate stations between Arbroath and Montrose closed on 22nd September 1930 (presumably as part of the doubling works?), as did the station at Hillside.

Inverkeilor closed to Goods sometime in the 1960s, I dont have an exact date. [Edit: Now found out that it was likely to be 25th Ocotber 1964]

Thomas Muir, Son & Patton had a coal depot here.

Edited by JohnR

JohnR and GrahamR, many thanks for the photo and details.

Thomas Muir, Son & Patton had a coal depot here.........

Right, that's another PO* for my layout, though it's strayed a long, long way from home down onto the LNWR's Central Wales line near Swansea.  I see their main depot is in Dundee,, and there's a topic here 'Harbour Branches' with a nice view of their signage.. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40212-harbour-branches/page-2

Perhaps one of the Scottish Crabbers (fishing boats) had a coaling contract with Thomas Muir etc., and needed to refuel down South Wales somewhere..

I do know that there were wagons from South Wales that went up north on a similar arrangement.  Anythings possible when modelling..  :sungum:

*Even if I have to make it up, but that hasn't stopped me in the past....

I just need a 4mm coal wagon now with some cupboard doors.  Certainly NOT the one from Robbiesrollingstock.co.uk

Edited by Penlan

• 5 months later...

I bought a nice photo album from Book Law's stand at the Glasgow show yesterday (one of their latest publications, "Steam Memories 1950s-1960s No.83: East Coast Main Line 8, Edinburgh to Aberdeen": ISBN 978-1-909625-53-2) which has an excellent photo of Inverkeilor in 1955. It has similarly excellent photos of many wayside stations on this seection of the ECML, incuding Inverkeilor's neighbours Letham Grange, Cauldcots and Lunan Bay. Most are credited to CJB Sanderson via the Armstrong Railway Photographic Trust.

I have no connection with Book Law beyond buying their book, but I thought this was £8.50 (cover price £9.99) well spent.

Inverkeilor closed to Goods sometime in the 1960s, I dont have an exact date. [Edit: Now found out that it was likely to be 25th Ocotber 1964]

I'm pretty sure that the yard was still in use for seed potato traffic and coal through the seventies and into the early eighties. Possibly the closure was just for sundries and public goods traffic.

I'm pretty sure that the yard was still in use for seed potato traffic and coal through the seventies and into the early eighties. Possibly the closure was just for sundries and public goods traffic.

I have a photo somewhere with my former wife stood next to the loading dock with some wagons behind her.... this must be post 1976 at least, probably early 80's.

Edited by Penlan

• 2 years later...

Old thread I know, but I live in Inverkeilor and I am toying with the idea of modelling this station, in DCC 4mm gauge, just bought the book mentioned above on ebay, to give me some idea of what it was like in the 1950's, any updates anyone can give would be appreciated. The idea is to make it in section with a view to possibly exibiting it if it comes up to scratch. I shall continue with my Great Central project, as some of the rolling stock will work and some of my locos would also be applicable to the ECML during this period..

Old thread I know, but I live in Inverkeilor and I am toying with the idea of modelling this station, in DCC 4mm gauge,...

4mm gauge?  That's even smaller than Z!  You'll struggle to get decoders to fit in these locos!  Mind you, the whole layout will probably fit in a box file!   :jester:  :jester:

Jim

A wee bit more history:

MT29/86         Inverkeilor    

Oct 25, 1932 – Mount reported inspecting the widening to Usan. The single line facing connection at the north end had been removed and replaced by a Crossover, the trailing connection of the Dead End Siding at the south end had been moved further out, and an additional Dead End Siding provided. In and Out Shunting signals had been provided and the points suitably trapped. All signals had been converted to upper quadrant with arms & lights repeated as necessary. There was also sequential locking (mechanical and electrical) and 3-position block instruments installed, controlled by track circuits and signal positions in accordance with modern practice. There was a new Up Advance Starting with track circuit in the rear as far as the new connection; also a new track circuit in rear of Up Home, and that existing in rear of the Down Starting re-arranged and extended. The frame had 18 working and 4 spare levers.

kind regards,

Robert

• Like 1

A wee bit more history:

MT29/86         Inverkeilor    

Oct 25, 1932 – Mount reported inspecting the widening to Usan. The single line facing connection at the north end had been removed and replaced by a Crossover, the trailing connection of the Dead End Siding at the south end had been moved further out, and an additional Dead End Siding provided. In and Out Shunting signals had been provided and the points suitably trapped. All signals had been converted to upper quadrant with arms & lights repeated as necessary. There was also sequential locking (mechanical and electrical) and 3-position block instruments installed, controlled by track circuits and signal positions in accordance with modern practice. There was a new Up Advance Starting with track circuit in the rear as far as the new connection; also a new track circuit in rear of Up Home, and that existing in rear of the Down Starting re-arranged and extended. The frame had 18 working and 4 spare levers.

kind regards,

Robert

PS I have some historical notes by the late Ed Nicoll, including a sketch of layout in 1880 that I'll scan for posting.

• Like 1

A minute detail, the goods yard area / road etc., was laid with ash.

I still have pieces of ash in my right elbow where I came off my bike, riding round the yard in 1952....... :O

• Like 1

A minute detail, the goods yard area / road etc., was laid with ash.

I still have pieces of ash in my right elbow where I came off my bike, riding round the yard in 1952....... :O

The yard still is made of ash lol. I will go and take some photos and make a few measurements

You may be able to get one of the vans in the yard modelled,
if somebody can tell you what E176151 is/was.
I've enhanced the 'Inverkeilor' and date so it shows up better (In PSP6)

post-6979-0-26186500-1547642118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Thanks 1

It's not very clear how the yard could be shunted. Was it shunted by up trains reversing over the crossover to the down line to gain access? It seems like the only way without resorting to a pinchbar.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/82883883

If you zoom in on this I think it shows what looks like a double slip arrangement to the South West of my proposed layout(to the left), I may add this depending on the total length involved, this will have to fit in a 14 foot summer house as the only other space available has the Leicester Great Central in it.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/82883883

If you zoom in on this I think it shows what looks like a double slip arrangement to the South West of my proposed layout(to the left), I may add this depending on the total length involved, this will have to fit in a 14 foot summer house as the only other space available has the Leicester Great Central in it.

Not a double slip, just trailing crossovers on the running lines and to/from the sidings.

The only 'run round' is in the yard.

In respect of clanaharry's observation, I believe the up train drew forward and then reversed into the layby, uncoupled wagons for the yard, forward onto the up line, backed over the crossover to the down line and again move into the yard, whence it could poodle about leaving/picking up wagons as desired, eventually returning to the up layby and coupling-up ready to proceed onto Arbroath etc., 

A copy of a period WTT would indicate which direction the local pick-up goods worked Inverkeilor yard.

I don't have any WTT's for Scotland though.  I'm sure details can be had from the NBR Society though.

• Thanks 1