Dapol Semaphore Signals

gwr5786

The big problem for the bracket signal is making a neat job of the drive to the signal on the bracket without getting excess slop in the linkage, the lever in the video is quite obvious, Hornby Dublo like and unprototypical and the alternative of two angle cranks is likely to have excess play.

I think it's fair to say that there will have to be some form of compromise with a bracket signal, especially in N. I'd much rather have a single piece of bent wire from the mech to the arm, than over scale angle cranks and the like - far more robust for starters.

• 3 weeks later...

Even though I was at Warley with Barton Road, I didn't get much of a chance to actually look round at anything...

Those signals do look excellent though, nice to see the counter balance arms and even the bolt mouldings on the semaphore arms where they are fixed to the spectacle plates. 

Are these N gauge or OO? I think I briefly saw OO decorated samples as per the shot above in the cabinet, but not any N.

Cheers,
Benn.

Oh dear, I needed a tall SR lattice signal for the Padstow starter. Guess the non-working bashed Ration version will have to stick around a  lot longer.

Buy two and splice the posts? They don't taper, perfectly do-able!

Buy two and splice the posts? They don't taper, perfectly do-able!

At GBP 22 for the signal, I would rather see of they have the lattice post as a spare. Also will take some replacement to lengthen the control rodding to compensate for additional signal height. Nice looking finial.

A couple of my own pictures of the SR versions, taken yesterday, including the dinky lattice post platform starter

attachicon.gifDapol signals_1.jpg

attachicon.gifDapol signals_2.jpg

Oh dear. They look far too good not to find a home here. What with all the other releases lately, is it possible to get a Government grant to help with the cost of this hobby?

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear. They look far too good not to find a home here. What with all the other releases lately, is it possible to get a Government grant to help with the cost of this hobby?

According to HMG I already get one of those - it's called an Old Age Pension  (trouble is Mrs Stationmaster gets to spend it, not me).

Yes I was intrigued by a GWR one, until I realised it appears to be operated by 16-18v AC. Not 12v DC, which introduces an inconvenience for me as all my signalling uses a 12v DC supply, as DC can be used  to light them, operate them and control them through track circuitry ! 

The Duke 71000

The Dapol signals work just fine on AC or DC the input goes direct to a rectifier. A 9V PP3 battery is perfect for testing them.

Regards

Really? From what I have heard you are pretty much guaranteed to blow the things up if you try and introduce any supply other than recommended by Dapol, and likely to forfeit your guarantee to boot (unless you can keep a poker face in front of your retailer, and swear you didn't do it...).

Cheers,

Paul

Really? From what I have heard you are pretty much guaranteed to blow the things up if you try and introduce any supply other than recommended by Dapol, and likely to forfeit your guarantee to boot (unless you can keep a poker face in front of your retailer, and swear you didn't do it...).

Cheers,

Paul

And where did you hear that?

Regards

There was much heated debate in the original thread (when Dapol first brought out the working semaphores) about using 12v DC with a product designed for 16v AC.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53096-Dapol-working-signals-review/

It all kicks off on about Page 5.

Might be better referring to the original thread than dragging it all up again here.

Yes I was intrigued by a GWR one, until I realised it appears to be operated by 16-18v AC. Not 12v DC, which introduces an inconvenience for me as all my signalling uses a 12v DC supply, as DC can be used  to light them, operate them and control them through track circuitry ! 

The Duke 71000

You might like to try the Signalist DP8 Dapol signal adapter which includes a power supply for the Dapol signals that can be supplied by 12V DC or DCC track supply.

Supplying the Dapol signals with more than 9V DC will possibly overload the spectacle plate light - and in any case is likely to make it much too bright.

Supplying the Dapol signals with more than 9V DC will possibly overload the spectacle plate light - and in any case is likely to make it much too bright.

Not so, as the LED is supplied by an internal regulator and will get a constant supply as long as the input is above 7V.

(Unless, of course, they have substantially modified the original design).

it would be interesting to see what the Signalist Power Convertor consists of.

Regards

Not so, as the LED is supplied by an internal regulator and will get a constant supply as long as the input is above 7V.

(Unless, of course, they have substantially modified the original design).

it would be interesting to see what the Signalist Power Convertor consists of.

Regards

My GWR Dapol signal is different to yours. The internal regulator is 3V (or thereabouts) and the LED is fed direct from the input supply (black and red wires) via a resistor. The internal regulated voltage is too low for the white LED that is used in the spectacle plate lamp. That is why the LED goes out when I put +9V from my PP3 in to the black wire instead of the red wire - I guess that yours stays on.

• 9 months later...

Archived