Guess where

naturol

• RMweb Gold

Lovely shot of Treforest

Presumably the two large buildings were a college at that time - now The University of South Wales

Our student let property is just the other side of them in Bertha Street

Theres an embankment along the lane at the top of the street - was that another line?

Phil

A bit more complicated that that Phil - this (if it works - will give a clue or three

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sidebyside.cfm#zoom=17&lat=51.5884&lon=-3.3265&layers=6&right=BingHyb

My local shed - or it was ( a GWR 'Loan Act' edifice).

Just how I remember it on a Sunday morning.

A dozen 'six-eighters' - half a dozen 'nine-fivers' and a handful of shunters.

All standing silent, no one about, nothing moving except the rats from the riverbank.

Must admit, the second photo is a first for me, I never saw a diesel on the turntable.

Brian R

PS

I'll let the 'stationmaster' tell everyone where it is - it'll bring back memories for him !!!!

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

My local shed - or it was ( a GWR 'Loan Act' edifice).

Just how I remember it on a Sunday morning.

A dozen 'six-eighters' - half a dozen 'nine-fivers' and a handful of shunters.

All standing silent, no one about, nothing moving except the rats from the riverbank.

Must admit, the second photo is a first for me, I never saw a diesel on the turntable.

Brian R

PS

I'll let the 'stationmaster' tell everyone where it is - it'll bring back memories for him !!!!

Oddly I never did it as a diesel shed.  Did it as a  steam shed in September 1962 and the building was still there a few months over 1o years later when I went there as Asst Area Manager but by then it had ceased to be a BR shed and was leased to Powell Duffryn as an outbase for their wagon repair business.  Oh, almost forgot - it is of course Radyr and it can be seen in the background of my 1973 photos below -

post-6859-0-71152000-1443547411_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-21568500-1443547435_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oddly I never did it as a diesel shed.  Did it as a  steam shed in September 1962 and the building was still there a few months over 1o years later when I went there as Asst Area Manager but by then it had ceased to be a BR shed and was leased to Powell Duffryn as an outbase for their wagon repair business.  Oh, almost forgot - it is of course Radyr and it can be seen in the background of my 1973 photos below -

attachicon.gifRadyr .jpg

attachicon.gifRadyr 2 1973.jpg

Did the shed around 1963 along with CED, Llantrissant, Canton, Ebbw Jn, STJ, Woodhams amongst other places, ending up at Gloucester Barnwood in pitch darkness.

Got re-acquainted with the area in 1995 at the start of the Valleys Resignalling. We were give the site of the pre-1932 shed for the new control centre. When we started clearing the site we found a deep shaft which had been used at some time for drawing water from the River Taff to supply the locos.

• Like 1

This photo is taken post 1st. May, 1971, as on that date the loco was transferred (back home) to Canton after several years at Healey Mills.

It arrived in company with other transferees from the Eastern Region, 6914+6927,  6918+6923+6929 arrived the same day, as well as 6917+6939.

I first saw 6930 in service off Canton on 26th. May between Penarth Curve North and Radyr, and it became an almost daily sight in the area.

Diagram C84 in 1971-1972 comprised of the following workings :-

05:50 MX Radyr - Maerdy 07:17

08:00 MX Maerdy - Radyr 10:10

12:30 SX Radyr - Cwmbargoed 14:17

15:45 SX Cwmbargoed - Furnace Top  

16:06 SX Furnace Top - Radyr 19:04

20:05 SX Radyr - Tower Colliery 23:32

00:03 SX Tower Colliery - Radyr 03:35

Normally these were 9C84 but could be 8C84 when 'going main line' and even 0C84 if there was no traffic and running as DBV (diesel and brake van).

C70 - C98 were Cardiff valleys diagrams, with C99 as a Radyr based control working.

Keep 'em coming Gareth.

Brian R

Well it could, but it might not, as we had Pensnett branded coke hoppers at Radyr out of Nantgarw and they had them at Llantrisant and I'm going for the latter although i was only there for a short while.

Well, congratulations, it was Llantrisant.

Whilst I'm not 100% - I believe the photo was taken by the late Bob Ranson, a former Llantrisant driver and enthusiast.

Brian R

PS

This photo is beneficial to modellers as it shows the extended hopper chutes fitted to the wagons dedicated to the "Pensnett" circuit.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

Bill.....

Got it............ before I even saw the brake van,which confirmed my identification.

But I'll leave it for someone else to grab the glory.

Brian R

PS

If you modelled this, folk would think it a highly improbable 'train set'

• RMweb Gold

OK - IIRC that's a Noahs Ark brake van that worked off Pontypool Rd so this is one of the Eastern Valley collieries

But my brain has gone dead as to which one....

Phil