The Patiala State Monorail Trainways

Stubby47

• RMweb Gold

I need to add three more reeds to cater for the three sections on the bridge.  Rather than having reeds and bits of wire floating about, the plan was to hide the them in a large diameter straw.

The straw when supported on top of the abutments is too high, so will need to be cut to length and supported on ledges. 

Also the 3rd reed will be exposed as it will not fit in the shortened straw. 

Plus I need to add the outrigger framework.

Hello Mr Stubby 47, sir

Just a possible suggestion, if you'll pardon the presumption: would it be possible to fit a not-at-all-suspicious rim of slightly raised and very smooth ground about 15mm from the monorail and disappears under the loco body, and have the rh wheels of the loco mysteriously happen to be riding on it? It would still be a monorail with outrigger, just with an inrigger as well.

It's just a possible way to cover for the lack of support, but as I don't know much in model railway, I don't know if it would help.

Regards and support - E

Hi Stubby, dunno what you had as support for outrigger, but it looks as if you have room between wheels of chassis to drill a hole straight through chassis and insert a brass? tube/rod, and solder up a support for outrigger wheel - no machinery needed. Maybe a lump of lead to get the centre of gravity in the right place. The wheels are another problem, maybe  solder or araldite?  a metal disk/flange to the outside? I would worry about camouflaging the reeds last of all, no point if the thing doesn't work. I suppose, if you really wanted to punish yourself you could take off the wheels from axles, thin 'em  down with a bastard file, and araldite them together front face to front face and fix new crank pins, or fabricate new from brass washers/discs. If you had access to a lathe, then it would not be a problem.....  perhaps someone should bring a unimat to the pub on Saturday?

Well, I've bitten my nails down to the stumps, and I'll be reduced to gnawing on my knuckles soon.  Certainly a somewhat tense situation.  As I have absolutely no technical expertise, as Wellington apparently once said, I have nothing to give you but my best wishes.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks all for your support & ideas - all are welcome, even at this late stage.

Musing overnight has resolved the support issue for both the body/chsssis and for the bridge.

As with any 4 coupled loco, two con rods are needed to maintain the correct alignment of the wheels to transfer the power ( steam or ele tric). I had purchased a set of Class 08 wheels, rods and outside cranks, but completely trashed them when taking them apart.

I aslo foolishly turned down a very generous offer of turned wheels  - a mistake I will rectify next week.

So I'm left with bodging, but am sure I have a solution...

Will getting the reed switches over the bridge be the last straw?

Will our intrepid hero get to Taunton in time?

Will they have run out of Pasties before he get’s there?

Is he still sandbagging and posting from bed with it all boxed and ready to go?

Find out at Staplegrove Village Hall for the next instalment in this truly surreal saga.

Peter

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Go Stubby go!

Ra Ra Ra!

Go, Stubby go!

Ra Ra Ra!

Oh nooooooooooooooooo. That made an 'orrible image of CK in a Cheerleader's outfit, like that bloke in the ad for Aussie larger, flash (sorry) into my brain cell and it made me feel very uncomfortable indeed.

Philth

Edited by Mallard60022

Monorails have always seemed to me, to fall within that very special category of "bright ideas" that "sort-of" work, and go on flattering to deceive for as long as some optimist will persevere... under slung ones definitely work, as do the A-frame sort (disregarding that strange Irish affair, Lartigue monorails were quite common in mining applications at one time) ... but the ones with steam engines over single rails always strike me as being inspired by late-night cheese and pickles...

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Monorails have always seemed to me, to fall within that very special category of "bright ideas" that "sort-of" work, and go on flattering to deceive for as long as some optimist will persevere...

Note to self - "This will work, this Will work, this WILL work" - repeat as often as required when doubt sets in...

Actually, if it was just down to the good will shown on here, it would be fully working with sound and live smoke by now !

Note to self - "This will work, this Will work, this WILL work" - repeat as often as required when doubt sets in...

Actually, if it was just down to the good will shown on here, it would be fully working with sound and live smoke by now !

It's a quite fascinating idea. I do hope it can be made to work!

Incidentally, shouldn't the Devils Gallop be played slightly out-of-time, on a tinkling piano, for the full effect?

How about

More getting there :

attachicon.gif20160422_135246.jpg

attachicon.gif20160422_144926.jpg

23:59 deadline ?

Smashed it ! :)

We are not worthy! Just wish I had thought of this, and could then have done what you have, (over about three years).

Peter

• Like 2