Thanks a lot James, appreciate the kind feedback and glad you enjoyed the updates! :)

The road surfaces were done using 1mm thick foam sheet from Hobbycraft, which was then painted with a series of grey acrylic paints. Finally once that had dried, I used grey and black chalk powder to highlight worn or dusty areas. The great thing about the foam is that it's very easy to add cracks and crevices using a scalpel. It's also dead easy to cut and glue.

If you haven't already, I recommend you take a look at Kathy Millatt's YouTube channel, as she has done a series of excellent videos looking at different tarmac techniques (as well as lots of other useful stuff) - the links are as follows:

Tarmac roads (foam method)

Tamiya texture paints

Rustoleum spray paint effect

Tarmac around pointwork

The 'grit' method

Printed sheets

Cobbles under tarmac

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hello all, hope everyone's had a great weekend.

Quick update, I'm still working on the footbridge piers, which are turning out to be quite a project in their own right. I'm glad Sevenoaks only has 4 platforms!

The last week or so I've built the steps and interior panelling for both the inner pier sides. This weekend I decided to finish the exterior metal siding to the up side pier, as well as the mid landing windows. This side is probably the most important, as it's the one that gets seen from the season ticket carpark and therefore most visible on the layout.

Anyway without further ado, here are the pics. Comments and feedback gratefully received as always!

post-23547-0-57550000-1492989261_thumb.jpg

The pier side looking from the up-side car park, looking southbound. Cat fur getting all over the track again!

post-23547-0-33557900-1492989262_thumb.jpg

Again from the up carpark looking northbound.

post-23547-0-17423200-1492989263_thumb.jpg

The interior with steps and panelling. The top floors will go in once the remainder of the footbridge is joined up.

post-23547-0-90971000-1492989263_thumb.jpg

Close up of the panelling and window. The aperture/pass through for the lift is seen on the right.

post-23547-0-49251800-1492989264_thumb.jpg

The north staircases.

• Like 15

Very inspiring stuff, always enjoy reading your thread. Thanks for the tips on the road surface and lining, certainly helpful for my layout.

No problem Rich, glad the info was useful :)

Oh my God, its brilliant and just how i remember it.

Cheers Blue, long way to go yet but it's taking shape! :)

• RMweb Premium

Amazing stuff Tim!

I've just found your thread for the first time, drawn in with your NSE signature on your post in Loftus thread and now firmly following, so much good stuff and particularly loving the weathering on your concrete trackside wall!

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tim,

Sorry to dirty your thread with pictures of my layout but I'd like to share the javis scatter result with you - I'm very happy with the result and it will form a good base for the greenery:

post-7097-0-65758800-1493933494.jpg

And I've had a watch of the utube videos you put me onto - Kathy has some really useful ideas.

Thanks again,

James

• Like 4

No worries at all James, looks like you got some great results with the Javis scatter - look forward to the greenery stage! To be honest I find the scenic side of things totally daunting, as there is such a huge range of different products out there. I'm still learning loads of new techniques. At the end of the day I think it really does come down to what looks good on other people's layouts, and I've got loads of inspiration from posts on rmweb. And as for Kathy's videos, I can't recommend her enough - she has an amazing eye for colour and detail, and I've learned loads from watching her videos. The great thing is that she always tells you exactly which products she uses as well, which is really helpful.

Anyway glad the javis scatter worked out well, and keep up the good work mate! :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Great layout with impressive details. I remember Sevenoaks station from the late 1960s, travelling to Sevenoaks from Otford or Dunton Green. Waiting in the 16 or 83 service and the ability to walk through from one platform to the other via the train was a novelty for a 10 year old. The original SER building were in a tatty state and your model of the London Road bridge is really good. Great memories brought back to life by your layout.

Thank you Steve, really appreciate that. I never knew the station in its pre-refurb days so it is fascinating to hear accounts of how it was originally :)  I have had to take an unscheduled break from the layout as my cat passed away suddenly last week - she loved sitting on the tracks and knocking the trains over, or just inspecting the trackwork. I can't bring myself to do any work on it at the moment but I dare say there will be more progress eventually. Thank you again for your kind comments :)

That's some mighty impressive scratch-building.

Sorry to hear about your cat but hopefully you can get back to the layout in due course.

Look forward to seeing when you do.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your cat - as well as being curious about anything you are doing they really get into your heart and your family.

We lost both our cats last year after having them as litter twins in the year 2000.

All the best,

James

Thanks James, Graham and 60006 - the support is really kind and helps a lot. My cat was always fascinated by the layout, and for the last 9 years she has always just been here and involved in everything, so I am finding her absence very hard to come to terms with. Model making has always been a very good way of keeping occupied and busy so I do hope to try and get back to it soon, even if only to keep myself from dwelling on things. It never ceases to amaze me how friendly and supportive people are on this forum though :)

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your cat - as well as being curious about anything you are doing they really get into your heart and your family.

We lost both our cats last year after having them as litter twins in the year 2000.

All the best,

James

Hi James, really sorry mate I only just saw the second line in your post about your cats that you'd had since 2000 - that is really sad, and I'm sure you still think about them a lot. You are absolutely right, they have real personalities and living with them for so long it is like losing your best friend when they go :(

• 1 month later...

Hi all - just a quick update for today - after a couple of months I'm finally getting back to working on the layout. To make a bit of a change from scenery, I thought I'd look at a bit of scratchbuilding. Although I've yet to travel on one, I'm quite fascinated by the new Siemens Class 700 units that are now operating the various Thameslink services. To bring Sevenoaks bang up to date I've embarked on a project to scratchbuild a unit using a combination of 3d printed, cnc machined and handmade parts. I've done the CAD work but have no idea how much this is going to cost! Anyway here's a few screenshots of the cad work so far - not all of the elements in the screenshots will be 3d printed but I've included it all to check for feasibility!

post-23547-0-10719500-1501454088_thumb.jpg

General view showing the cab front. All the elements will be mounted on a 2mm aluminium chassis plate for accuracy.

post-23547-0-54893100-1501454088_thumb.jpg

Closeup of the front cab area - this will be a separate module fitted to the front.

post-23547-0-29407100-1501454089_thumb.jpg

Passenger eye view looking towards front - the vestibule module around the double doors is one of the 3D printed parts - the stringers/spars connecting the modules will be 1 x 1.5 mm aluminium square rod. The window panels are interior backing panels (1mm styrene) - there will be an external skin attached on the outside, using preformed 0.5mm styrene sheet.

post-23547-0-75592700-1501454089_thumb.jpg

post-23547-0-25582900-1501454090_thumb.jpg

Overall view from the rear looking forwards. The uniquely wide gangway arrangement on these trains will mean that they won't be suitable for tight radius curves. I'm not sure yet how this will be achieved in practice - any ideas will be welcome!

Anyway just a quick update - I will be doing more scenic stuff on the layout in the coming weeks but just wanted to let you know what I'm working on at the moment - any comments or suggestions more than welcome as always!

Kind regards,

Tim

• Like 5

Hi all - just a quick update for today - after a couple of months I'm finally getting back to working on the layout. To make a bit of a change from scenery, I thought I'd look at a bit of scratchbuilding. Although I've yet to travel on one, I'm quite fascinated by the new Siemens Class 700 units that are now operating the various Thameslink services. To bring Sevenoaks bang up to date I've embarked on a project to scratchbuild a unit using a combination of 3d printed, cnc machined and handmade parts. I've done the CAD work but have no idea how much this is going to cost! Anyway here's a few screenshots of the cad work so far - not all of the elements in the screenshots will be 3d printed but I've included it all to check for feasibility!

attachicon.gifsketch3.JPG

General view showing the cab front. All the elements will be mounted on a 2mm aluminium chassis plate for accuracy.

attachicon.gifsketch4.JPG

Closeup of the front cab area - this will be a separate module fitted to the front.

attachicon.gifsketch5.JPG

Passenger eye view looking towards front - the vestibule module around the double doors is one of the 3D printed parts - the stringers/spars connecting the modules will be 1 x 1.5 mm aluminium square rod. The window panels are interior backing panels (1mm styrene) - there will be an external skin attached on the outside, using preformed 0.5mm styrene sheet.

attachicon.gifsketch6.JPG

attachicon.gifsketch7.JPG

Overall view from the rear looking forwards. The uniquely wide gangway arrangement on these trains will mean that they won't be suitable for tight radius curves. I'm not sure yet how this will be achieved in practice - any ideas will be welcome!

Anyway just a quick update - I will be doing more scenic stuff on the layout in the coming weeks but just wanted to let you know what I'm working on at the moment - any comments or suggestions more than welcome as always!

Kind regards,

Tim

how about a service like shapeways?

Thanks James - not working in CAD at the moment although I do have some experience with it from my rapid prototyping days which probably helps a bit. This still took me a week to do though, whereas a CAD jockey would probably be able to knock this up in about 2 hours! :)