• 3 weeks later...

Hello all - a few more pics of the ongoing Class 700 project. I'm really sorry to those who are not interested in this CAD/3D printing stuff at all - I will post some more layout updates soon :)

To those who are interested, I've made some progress with the CAD work and some of the data has been submitted to Shapeways and now on order. I'm also in contact with Alan Gibson for the wheelsets and bearings. The plan is to get one coach built with this method to test the concept - if it works, I will order the rest of the stuff and build the complete 6 coach set.

The class 700 emu uses a quite unique bogie design, with no external frames. This makes things interesting in model form as all of the detail will have to be mounted to a central 'mainframe' and will be very delicate. The various external components will also have to move with the bogie rather than being mounted to the vehicle chassis as is the case with the prototype. Therefore a lot of compromises and artistic licence will be needed in this area to create a working model.

Another major change is that I've now decided to go with 3D printed parts for the chassis plate, but for rigidity I will be embedding brass square section 1x2mm rods running longitudinally on each side. I'll have to see how this works in practice - if it's not rigid enough I will be returning to plan A and using the aluminium plates.

Progress since last time =

• Underframe detail for driving forward coach completed
  • Rear underframe fairing and coupling shroud completed
  • New design for main chassis component incorporating metal strengthening components
  • Route information and marker light apertures added to cab front
  • Snow plough/Dellner coupling mount assembly added

post-23547-0-51863100-1503269450_thumb.jpg

Preview of early bogie design. This is pending details of wheel bearings.

post-23547-0-34656900-1503269451_thumb.jpg

Overall view showing new front snow plough parts - this component will also include Dellner coupler detail parts, mounted to the plate directly above it.

post-23547-0-74033300-1503269451_thumb.jpg

Another general view. Route information and marker light apertures now added to cab front.

post-23547-0-18250600-1503269452_thumb.jpg

Close up view of some of the underframe detail. These parts will be printed as a single component joined by a spar running along the centreline of the chassis.

post-23547-0-73040600-1503269452_thumb.jpg

Rear of the leading coach. This will be identical for every coach in the set. I'm still not sure how the wide gangway arrangement will be achieved!

post-23547-0-27839400-1503269453_thumb.jpg

Close up of bogie. No outer bogie frame on these, so all the detail will have to be mounted to the central chassis.

post-23547-0-69588700-1503269453_thumb.jpg

Another view of the rear.

• Like 6

Ref the corridor connections and sharp curves, you might want to take a look at the Bachmann/LT Museum S-type sub-surface Underground train. It does compromise on the looks but at least it works.

That's a good point, I had forgotten about the S-stock having a similar corridor connection. I will take a look, thanks!

Looking forward to seeing this develop!

Even though I don't have a layout, I'd definitely be up for buying on of these! This could make a nice little earner for you ;)

Thanks mate, it's early days yet and initially I will be building just the one set for Sevenoaks (if the manufacturing concept works). I will post updates on the progress though - if the various bits go together ok I might consider building sets to order but I'm a long way from there yet! :)

Thanks mate, it's early days yet and initially I will be building just the one set for Sevenoaks (if the manufacturing concept works). I will post updates on the progress though - if the various bits go together ok I might consider building sets to order but I'm a long way from there yet! :)

Well I'm really excited to see the progress. There's definitely a lack of modern image SR stock, and it's great seeing you design your own from scratch. I hope in the future that we see more projects like this, as technology advances!

Cheers,

Matt

Thank you Matt, really appreciate that, and I'm glad you're enjoying the updates! I wish we had more modern image southern stock as well, particularly the Electrostar family. It's only now that 3D printing is becoming affordable enough that it is feasible for people to custom build these projects, although it's still a huge undertaking as I'm rapidly finding out!

I'm still only using 3D printing for certain parts to keep the costs down, so there will be a lot of scratchbuilding and finishing involved as well to complete the bodyshells. I will show how they go together in future posts when the various parts arrive. Thanks again for the kind comments, and hope you'll stay tuned for more updates! :)

I wish we had more modern image southern stock as well, particularly the Electrostar family.

hope you'll stay tuned for more updates! :)

The Electrostar is something I've had my fingers crossed about for years now. Sadly, it's not looking likely, at least for the near future. If one ever was released, I'd 100% be buying one even though I have no layout!

I certainly will stay tuned. Looking forward to the progress :)

Hi folks, quick update on the 700 project for anyone following. Thanks also to all the kind comments from people who have enjoyed the updates so far, really appreciate the feedback and encouragement!

Having had a bit of extra time to spare today I took the opportunity to get a bit more detailing done to the bogies and finish the dellner coupling piece which slots on the front of the cab valance. Both are now done, and I've got some wheels and bearing bushes on order so I can finalise the cad and get them off for making.

In real life there are a number of pistons on the bogie frame that connect to fixed brackets on the chassis. This wouldn't be possible on the model because it will restrict the rotation of the bogies, so I've built these parts onto the bogie frame itself, and they will rotate with the whole assembly. I'm hoping it will look alright but there are no other options for this so it will have to do! Without any further waffle, here are the latest progress pics:

post-23547-0-42162000-1503709483_thumb.jpg

Exploded view showing the seating and tables. These will be part of the chassis frame and made as one piece. The grooves running along either side are where 1x2mm metal rods will be threaded through for rigidity.

post-23547-0-28987000-1503709484_thumb.jpg

Another exploded view from the rear. There is a partition across the rearmost vestibule, which separates the front first class compartment.

post-23547-0-26281000-1503709485_thumb.jpg

A 'level crossing' view of the front! :)

post-23547-0-20987900-1503709486_thumb.jpg

Some of the underframe gear, looking forwards.

post-23547-0-69058200-1503709486_thumb.jpg

Another front shot with a slightly better view of the dellner coupler.

post-23547-0-16175000-1503709487_thumb.jpg

Head on view.

post-23547-0-74124900-1503709487_thumb.jpg

The rear corridor connection/coach end. Someone suggested looking at the Bachmann S Stock for ideas on how to achieve this with close coupling, which turned out to be a very good idea. As a result I've decided to use Keen Systems coupling parts to keep the gangways close together, but I do want to retain the opening so that it's possible to see all the way through the train.

That's all for now - thanks for following and any ideas or feedback most welcome as always! :)

Cheers,

Tim

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks - just to let you know for anyone following the Class 700 build, I've now started a new thread in the 3d printing/cad forum here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125715-siemens-class-700-emu-3d-printscratchbuild/?p=2843010

Some of the parts have now arrived from Shapeways so I've posted a few pics on that forum and will continue to post updates on the Class 700 project there. I'll be back to working on the layout itself in the next week or so, and will post more updates on that here hopefully,

Many thanks,

Tim

post-23547-0-90870700-1504548319_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi folks, quick update on the 700 project for anyone following. Thanks also to all the kind comments from people who have enjoyed the updates so far, really appreciate the feedback and encouragement!

Having had a bit of extra time to spare today I took the opportunity to get a bit more detailing done to the bogies and finish the dellner coupling piece which slots on the front of the cab valance. Both are now done, and I've got some wheels and bearing bushes on order so I can finalise the cad and get them off for making.

In real life there are a number of pistons on the bogie frame that connect to fixed brackets on the chassis. This wouldn't be possible on the model because it will restrict the rotation of the bogies, so I've built these parts onto the bogie frame itself, and they will rotate with the whole assembly. I'm hoping it will look alright but there are no other options for this so it will have to do! Without any further waffle, here are the latest progress pics:

attachicon.gifexploded1.jpg

Exploded view showing the seating and tables. These will be part of the chassis frame and made as one piece. The grooves running along either side are where 1x2mm metal rods will be threaded through for rigidity.

attachicon.gifexploded2.jpg

Another exploded view from the rear. There is a partition across the rearmost vestibule, which separates the front first class compartment.

attachicon.gifshadows2.jpg

A 'level crossing' view of the front! :)

attachicon.gifshadows3.jpg

Some of the underframe gear, looking forwards.

attachicon.gifshadows4.jpg

Another front shot with a slightly better view of the dellner coupler.

attachicon.gifshadows5.jpg

Head on view.

attachicon.gifshadows6.jpg

The rear corridor connection/coach end. Someone suggested looking at the Bachmann S Stock for ideas on how to achieve this with close coupling, which turned out to be a very good idea. As a result I've decided to use Keen Systems coupling parts to keep the gangways close together, but I do want to retain the opening so that it's possible to see all the way through the train.

That's all for now - thanks for following and any ideas or feedback most welcome as always! :)

Cheers,

Tim

with the gangway you could have a coupling which will remain close on a straight and then extends on corners like the Pendolino that Hornby makes

with the gangway you could have a coupling which will remain close on a straight and then extends on corners like the Pendolino that Hornby makes

Yep, that's pretty much what I had planned :) Keen Systems makes a close coupling device which does just that, and I'm waiting for a sample to arrive so that I can alter the CAD on the chassis and send it for printing. Like the Pendolino and S-Stock, it extends round bends but retracts and centres when the coaches are aligned on a straight section.

• Like 1

Hi folks - just to let you know for anyone following the Class 700 build, I've now started a new thread in the 3d printing/cad forum here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125715-siemens-class-700-emu-3d-printscratchbuild/?p=2843010

Some of the parts have now arrived from Shapeways so I've posted a few pics on that forum and will continue to post updates on the Class 700 project there. I'll be back to working on the layout itself in the next week or so, and will post more updates on that here hopefully,

Many thanks,

Tim

attachicon.gifuse2.jpg

Wow  :O  Looks amazing! I guess it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to fit it with DCC sound from the 350 Desiro, right? They're virtually identical in sound.

Looking great, can't wait for more :)

Cheers,

Matt

Hi all, hope you're all well. Just a quick bulletin to let you know I've posted some progress updates to the Class 700 project - if you're following please feel free to head over to the 3d printing thread here for more details:  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125715-siemens-class-700-emu-3d-printscratchbuild/

Cheers :)

post-23547-0-40379400-1505073912_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Class 700 cab and coupling now available at Shapeways - search 'tjfRAIL' or 'Siemens' for details

Hi all - sorry it's been a few weeks since the last update. Hope you're all keeping well. Just thought I would post a quick update to let you know things are still moving!

I think when I left the last update, I'd just received the chassis parts and had started assembling the forward coach. Well, as is part and parcel with product development, I came to some realisations and took some advice from another rmwebber who clearly knows their stuff more than I do! Long and short of it, I've made some revisions to the CAD, and decided to go with 3D printing for the side and roof panels. The result of this is that it will be possible to assemble a whole coach without any scratchbuilding (although some sanding and finishing will be required). This has involved revisions to the chassis plate, vestibule (main door) modules, coach end piece, air-con unit and rear cab parts, so it's been quite an extensive revision. However, I've now re-ordered parts from Shapeways and hope to have the forward driving coach assembled in the next week or so. I'm confident that with these revisions, the design is now user friendly so it is my intention to release all the parts for sale on Shapeways over the next few weeks. The cab and coupling parts are already available to buy, if you want to, and can be found in my shop 'tjfRAIL' or by searching 'Siemens'.  Please note these parts have not been tested with any RTR models, and are designed to work in conjunction with other parts of this project still to be released - you purchase at your own risk and I can't offer any technical support for conversions of RTR products.

With that out of the way, here are some renders of the new version:

post-23547-0-91687800-1507584688_thumb.jpg

An exploded view showing how the new parts fit together

post-23547-0-34565300-1507584688_thumb.jpg

Assembled view

post-23547-0-75702100-1507584689_thumb.jpg

Assembled view looking forward and showing rear cab module

post-23547-0-44229900-1507584690_thumb.jpg

Assembled view from above, showing roof air-con detail

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Class 700 cab and coupling now available at Shapeways - search 'tjfRAIL' or 'Siemens' for details

Hi all - sorry it's been a few weeks since the last update. Hope you're all keeping well. Just thought I would post a quick update to let you know things are still moving!

I think when I left the last update, I'd just received the chassis parts and had started assembling the forward coach. Well, as is part and parcel with product development, I came to some realisations and took some advice from another rmwebber who clearly knows their stuff more than I do! Long and short of it, I've made some revisions to the CAD, and decided to go with 3D printing for the side and roof panels. The result of this is that it will be possible to assemble a whole coach without any scratchbuilding (although some sanding and finishing will be required). This has involved revisions to the chassis plate, vestibule (main door) modules, coach end piece, air-con unit and rear cab parts, so it's been quite an extensive revision. However, I've now re-ordered parts from Shapeways and hope to have the forward driving coach assembled in the next week or so. I'm confident that with these revisions, the design is now user friendly so it is my intention to release all the parts for sale on Shapeways over the next few weeks. The cab and coupling parts are already available to buy, if you want to, and can be found in my shop 'tjfRAIL' or by searching 'Siemens'.  Please note these parts have not been tested with any RTR models, and are designed to work in conjunction with other parts of this project still to be released - you purchase at your own risk and I can't offer any technical support for conversions of RTR products.

With that out of the way, here are some renders of the new version:

attachicon.gifnew_exploded.jpg

An exploded view showing how the new parts fit together

attachicon.gifnew_assembled.jpg

Assembled view

attachicon.gifnew_rearcab.jpg

Assembled view looking forward and showing rear cab module

attachicon.gifnew_roofdetail.jpg

Assembled view from above, showing roof air-con detail

Quite brilliant! That really moves things on in terms of the practicality of using 3D printing for larger scales.

• 4 weeks later...

Having stumbled across this thread a couple of days ago I have now had time to read it through from the beginning.  All I can say is what a superb layout this is.  Having either changed trains at, or travelled to / from, Sevenoaks between 1971 and the present day, the layout certainly captures the feel of the rebuilt station, the key features of which are instantly recognisable despite the need for some alterations to fit the available space.  There is certainly scope to operate a very wide selection of services and rolling stock, from MGR trains to Inter-City services and even LT's Sarah Siddons which passed through in 1985, in addition to the staple diet of EMU's.  I look forward to seeing further updates as the layout construction progresses as well as more of the interesting comments and photos provided by others.

Thank you very much for such a kind comment, really glad you've enjoyed the thread :)  The wide variety of stock going through SEV was certainly a major part of the decision to model it and I tried to design the track layout so it would support a variety of track movements. Work is just starting to pick up again after some unexpected set-backs earlier in the year but it's moving steadily forward. The encouragement and help from other RMwebbers has been really great and sometimes it's the only thing that's kept me motivated so I'm really grateful for that :)

Edited by tjf4375

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much for such a kind comment, really glad you've enjoyed the thread :)  The wide variety of stock going through SEV was certainly a major part of the decision to model it and I tried to design the track layout so it would support a variety of track movements. Work is just starting to pick up again after some unexpected set-backs earlier in the year but it's moving steadily forward. The encouragement and help from other RMwebbers has been really great and sometimes it's the only thing that's kept me motivated so I'm really grateful for that :)

Tim, you should be very proud of what you've done so far and that comment was well deserved! 

Thanks Adrian - yes it does look somewhat out of place, I've often wondered why they used that stone although it does provide a bit of warmth and character to the bridge I think. You're right, it does very much remind you that you're still in Kentish countryside! :)

Just out of interest, I had a look at some other bridges just north of the station, and it appears that they too were built of the same stone - maybe someone ordered a job lot by mistake!

The bridge just north of the junction is not in general use, but connects a road in the industrial estate to the other side - it is a curved arch design of the same stone:

attachicon.gifotherbridge1.jpg

And just a bit further north, Shoreham Lane crosses the line, and the parapets appear to be of the same stone:

attachicon.gifotherbridge2.jpg

In addition to the London Road bridge at the North end of the station there were five other bridges (one now demolished) on the main line and two on the Bat & Ball branch constructed with ragstone arches, abutments or piers.  These all appear to have been constructed on land forming part of the Bradbourne Estate and therefore the use of ragstone is likely to have been a requirement by the landowner at the time of the lines construction.  With regard to the bridge at Riverhead, following a number of bridge strikes by HGV's resulting in parts of the stone parapets falling onto the A25 they have been replaced with fibreglass panels cleverly moulded to resemble the original stonework but much easier to replace.

Hello all, hope everyone's had a great weekend.

Quick update, I'm still working on the footbridge piers, which are turning out to be quite a project in their own right. I'm glad Sevenoaks only has 4 platforms!

The last week or so I've built the steps and interior panelling for both the inner pier sides. This weekend I decided to finish the exterior metal siding to the up side pier, as well as the mid landing windows. This side is probably the most important, as it's the one that gets seen from the season ticket carpark and therefore most visible on the layout.

Anyway without further ado, here are the pics. Comments and feedback gratefully received as always!

attachicon.gifpier5.jpg

The pier side looking from the up-side car park, looking southbound. Cat fur getting all over the track again!

attachicon.gifpier6.jpg

Again from the up carpark looking northbound.

attachicon.gifpier7.jpg

The interior with steps and panelling. The top floors will go in once the remainder of the footbridge is joined up.

attachicon.gifpier8.jpg

Close up of the panelling and window. The aperture/pass through for the lift is seen on the right.

attachicon.gifpier9.jpg

The north staircases.

The external views of the footbridge look just like the real thing, all you need now are a few roosting pigeons and the resultant mess on the platforms below.  More seriously, the internal cladding was only installed relatively recently, possibly as part of the 2012 Olympics station upgrade, prior to this the corrugated steel sheeting and supporting steel framework was fully visible from the inside of the staircases and footbridge.  At the present time work is taking place to install smooth cladding over the outside of the structure which gives it a very different appearance from the former corrugated look.

With regard to the spaces below the footbridge on each platform, the area north of the gap giving access to the lift forms a plant room for the lift equipment and if I remember correctly the floor level is sunk down to about track level.  South of the lift shafts is a small room for platform staff, with sloping ceiling beneath the stairs, and a low height store room only accessible via an external doorway.