Vintage? Tube Map print

D5541

Hi All

don't know if this is of interest to anyone, but, I found this in my local Clintons Cards (Cheltenham), was on a rack of several styles of fancy(?) wrapping paper.

Printed on fairly thick paper, measures 50 x 70cm (or 27.5 x 19 3/4" if you still use English) and costs 99p per sheet.

Mine is now mounted in a poster frame and hung up in the living room :lol:

post-11486-0-50574000-1442306395_thumb.jpg

It's from between 1959  and 1964.  The South Acton branch, which closed in February 1959, is not shown.  The District Line service to Hounslow West, which ended in 1964, is.  What is now the Hammersmith and City Line is shown as part of the Metropolitan.  The Bakerloo Line is shown as continuing beyond its present extremity of Harrow and Wealdstone and from Baker Street to Stanmore, now the Jubilee Line.  Also shown is the detached part of the Northern Line from Finsbury Park to Moorgate.  The Victoria Line is still a twinkle in LT's eye.

Clintons, you say?  Hmmm ...

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for the period details there :-) I did think of asking as a follow up could anyone date it, the only clue I guessed as to the age was the fact the central line is shown as extending from Epping to Ongar.

And yes, Clintons in Cheltenham still has a healthy pile of them, although I did stick my head in the Romford store a few weeks ago and they didn't appear to have any at the time, whether it varies from store to store If they have them or not, I'm not sure

Dan

• RMweb Premium

I went in to the local Clinton Cards today, no sign of them so I asked the assistant. Apparently they were produced last year and no further production is likely. Those that are available are the remaining unsold stock and are only still available in a few stores that still have them. Good news is that you might find them at a bargain price of 99p.

I believe this is from May 1960 and was the first design not attributed to Harry Beck. It was 'designed' by Harold F Hutchinson.

The last Beck version was 1959 and is quite different, including rounded curves rather than angles to change direction.

The 1962 issue, again attributed to Hutchinson, includes the 'Victoria Line under construction'

I can strongly recommend the following book...... Mr Beck's Underground Map by Ken Garland. ISBN 185414 168 6

It deals with Harry Beck's design of the map, its use, how it changed over the years, and the rather acrimonious situation when his design was 'dropped'

Terry

'Earl's Court' model railway

ecmr.webs.com

• RMweb Gold

I believe this is from May 1960 and was the first design not attributed to Harry Beck. It was 'designed' by Harold F Hutchinson.

The last Beck version was 1959 and is quite different, including rounded curves rather than angles to change direction.

The 1962 issue, again attributed to Hutchinson, includes the 'Victoria Line under construction'

I can strongly recommend the following book...... Mr Beck's Underground Map by Ken Garland. ISBN 185414 168 6

It deals with Harry Beck's design of the map, its use, how it changed over the years, and the rather acrimonious situation when his design was 'dropped'

Terry

'Earl's Court' model railway

ecmr.webs.com

My 'Hutchison' 1960 map shows Aylesbury at the end of the Met, so I suggest this one is a little later - 1961 or early 1962 perhaps?

• RMweb Premium

Of more than passing interest is the attempt at geographical correctness.

The kink in the Central Line at White City is shown as is the actual situation at Finchley Central where the Barnet "branch" does indeed take a sharp right-hander while what was intended to be the main line to Bushey Heath and Elstree, but is now just a shuttle (for the most part) to Mill Hill East only, leads straight ahead.

Aldwych and Shoreditch are shown as open "Weekday rush hours" only.  "Weekdays" then meant Mondays to Saturdays (if only Mondays - Fridays was meant then "Mondays to Fridays" would be used) and the term rush hour was generally used rather than peak.  Saturday services ran in the morning and again at lunchtime back in the days when the 5½ day working week was still more common.  With the general cessation of Saturday office working and the adoption of a 5-day week in the City those Saturday workings didn't survive the sixties.  

Bakerloo Line trains only ran beyond Queens Park during Monday - Friday rush hours with around eight to Harrow & Wealdstone four of which continued to Watford Junction.  The service ran inbound in the mornings and outbound in the evenings with a few contra-peak trips to / from Harrow where there was no berthing facility.  

District Line trains to the Hounslow West line also ran only in peak hours by the 1960s as the main service had long since been assumed by the Piccadilly Line.  As both Watford and Hounslow line stations were always served by other trains (even if those on the Watford line were the BR trains to Euston) there was no need to define them as only being open in rush hours.

I have a modest accumulation of tube maps over the years which starts from 1959 and comes almost up to date though is by no means a complete collection.

• RMweb Gold

You seem to have got a bit adrift there Rick in respect of Harrow.  There were two turnback sidings at Harrow & Wealdstone for use by Bakerloo Line trains although there is now only the one (since the 1988 resignalling, or was the second one removed earlier than that?).  Thus there was a berthing facility for one train with the other siding used for turnback although I'm fairly sure the situation for many years past (except perhaps in the peaks?) was for the Bakerloo Line trains to do what they do now and simply arrive, go into the siding to reverse/wait their path, and then cross to the other platform and restart their southward journey from there.

Currently 6 (six) Bakerloo Line trains per hour turnback at Harrow & Wealdstone between 07.00 and 20.00 daily with a couple of trains only between 06.00 and 07.00 and slight variation in the number of early morning trains on Saturdays and Sundays.

• RMweb Premium

I'll always accept the wisdom of elders.  My comments were based upon the timetable published in the 1969 Underground Guide.

Either way the service north of Queens Park improved immeasurably (and out of necessity) once that branch was split from Stanmore upon creation of the Jubilee Line and Neasden was effectively replaced by Stonebridge Park as the major Bakerloo Line depot.  It still took a while for the improved Harrow service to be offered as most trains continued for a few years to terminate at Queens Park or Stonebridge Park.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might have one of these sheets of wrapping paper. I do remember buying a pack a couple of years ago , but only using one sheet. Did not look closely at detail though. It will turn up eventually!

Now one other map , one that ASDA did on a shower curtain. I was tempted, but did not loo closely at lines on it to see whether it was vintage or current. I dithered and did not get one when they were being sold off cheaply, but have noticed they are on ebay.

• RMweb Premium

I ordered one nearly two weeks ago, after waiting 8 days I e-mailed the vendors and they say it is out of stock but they have re-ordered them. The problem is that it could be weeks before they get any more.

I think I might have one of these sheets of wrapping paper. I do remember buying a pack a couple of years ago , but only using one sheet. Did not look closely at detail though. It will turn up eventually!

Now one other map , one that ASDA did on a shower curtain. I was tempted, but did not loo closely at lines on it to see whether it was vintage or current. I dithered and did not get one when they were being sold off cheaply, but have noticed they are on ebay.

If you do find them would you be willing to sell them?

Archived