Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Great to see this thread up and running. 

Look forwards to seeing some of your lovely photos of the line.

That's a great shot to open proceedings with as well! 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. Tonight I thought that we would take a short trip down the line from Beverley to Arram. At Arram there is a small station with staggered platforms and a level crossing. The following three photo's are from 14th July,1986, and show the station as it then was. There are no trains to be seen, but I hope that the photo's will still be of interest. Note that the level crossing still had traditional gates in use.

Looking up the line from the crossing to Beverley:

8868B733-2FCB-4CB1-AB6B-B57C3BD5EDDB.thumb.jpeg.bf020060d21f0798971afeafeff0f705.jpeg

Looking down to Driffield from the crossing:

BFBECE6F-2840-421D-97CC-09A8152FBB60.thumb.jpeg.52ce47e4928691683bf5c58881234a10.jpeg

The station buildings and level crossing:

968247DD-F242-4FA6-8AB5-CA936EC8A6BD.thumb.jpeg.952d4ceb13e65d24271f6822cd0ac7df.jpeg

I wish to thank Mark and alastairq for kind comments on that first post of this new thread.

There will be more photo's soon.

With best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To add missing photo’s.
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Rob!

Thanks for the superb photos I'm looking forward to seeing more, my local line was Hull to Gilberdyke with Brough being my local station until moving to Hessle but its great to see the Hull to Scarborough which is a lovely stretch of line that is so often overlooked.

Regarding your first photo I remember been at Brough to see it passing, as a 6 year old it was quite something to see a steam loco on the mainline.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Lord Flasheart. I've so often wondered why the railways of East Yorkshire are so overlooked, and even more so the Hull to Scarborough line - along with the Filey Holiday Camp branch. Perhaps we really are in a forgotten place. :cry:

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Rob, thanks for posting your "Modern" pictures, I have numerous near identical views of the Scarbrough Branch from "Steam Day's"

Hi Mick,

I for one would love to see them.

It would be great to see the line in another era.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. Tonight I thought that we would take a short trip down the line from Beverley to Arram. At Arram there is a small station with staggered platforms and a level crossing. The following three photo's are from 14th July,1986, and show the station as it then was. There are no trains to be seen, but I hope that the photo's will still be of interest. Note that the level crossing still had traditional gates in use.

Looking up the line from the crossing to Beverley:

attachicon.gifimg014 - Copy (2).jpg

Looking down to Driffield from the crossing:

attachicon.gifimg014 - Copy (3).jpg

The station buildings and level crossing:

attachicon.gifimg015 - Copy.jpg

I wish to thank Mark and alastairq for kind comments on that first post of this new thread.

There will be more photo's soon.

With best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob

I've always liked this station since I first saw it (Last year then!). The station building is a lovely design so typical of the area and seeing it almost 30 years ago in your photographs adds to the appeal.

Those crossing gates are a great design.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Mark. Thanks for your comments. I believe that the level crossing gates are a North Eastern Railway design, although I also would think that by that date the gates would have little, if anything, of the originals left!

With best regards,

Rob.

I have a dvd that covers this line in BR days with green dmu,s and some interesting formations are depicted plus details of the stations etc and also there is a modern era dvd by Video 125 which shows a surprising amount of original structures.Thanks for showing the pictures and have you anymore of Bridlington please as I am thinking of building a model of it.

Rob,

What a great idea and a great thread. As someone who was brought up in Hull and who travelled these lines in the late 1950's/early 1960's it is wonderful to see not only what remains of the railways of East Yorkshire but also how they looked back in those long ago days of steam, of semaphore signals and a time when the stations echoed some pride in the general appearance of the railway and its environs.

Just look on one of those lovely tiled maps of the old North Eastern - still found at some of the stations in East Yorkshire - to see how extensive was the rail network in this riding of Yorkshire.

Living, as I now do, in Scarborough then I obviously have an interest in the Hull - Scarborough and York - Scarborough lines though much of their character has been swept away in the various rationalisation and modernisation schemes, over the years

When I began my travels on the railways, back in the Autumn of 1958, many of the lines in East Yorkshire were little changed from their North Eastern Railway days, with lower quadrant slotted post signals, McKenzie and Holland signal gantries and signal bridges and the buildings of G. T. Andrews everywhere. Only the trains had changed and, even then, a few were still wonderfully antiquated with non corridor coaches and the last of the old North Eastern's passenger tanks.

Alas, like many youthful enthusiasts of that time, I took very few photographs and so, personally, can only rely on a host of memories and recollections. So to see the embodiment of those many recollections in contemporary photographs is a source of great pleasure tinged, perhaps, with a little sadness that so much of the 'character' of the railway which we knew has now gone, though time and tide wait for no man and progress must, inevitably, replace the old with the new.

Many thanks and regards

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 1

I have a dvd that covers this line in BR days with green dmu,s and some interesting formations are depicted plus details of the stations etc and also there is a modern era dvd by Video 125 which shows a surprising amount of original structures.Thanks for showing the pictures and have you anymore of Bridlington please as I am thinking of building a model of it.

I have quiet a bit of stuff on Bridlington, contact me if you wish. micknich2003@yahoo.co.uk

Bridlington station 1975 an excursion to the NYMR using the Hull Pullman set.

On the right is Colin Cheesman who late became booking clerk at Driffield

Simon, is the tall bloke stood behind Colin, Paul Ramsden? He certainly has Paul's look. I knew Colin when he was signalman at Cottingham North, and was same at Cherry Tree.

A rare visitor to Beverley Class D16 on an enthusiast's special. The East Midlander, May 1957.

ttachment=621566:D16 62571_Beverley_p2997.jpg]

I've got a Hornby D16/3 on order and am thinking of locating my new layout in East Yorkshire so many thanks for the pic which just about justifies the proposed purchase.

Keep the pics coming please.

Regards,

Brian.

A rare visitor to Beverley Class D16 on an enthusiast's special. The East Midlander, May 1957.

ttachment=621566:D16 62571_Beverley_p2997.jpg]

Mick,

Have you still got those 1959 photos of the B12/3 which retired to Dairycoates shed for the repair of a hot axlebox? Once repaired, I wonder what Dairycoates used it for?

Cheers

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks everyone for your contributions. That photo' of the D16/3 is a very good reason why I hope to be purchasing the new Hornby model (hopefully next week!). I have spent much of today scanning photo's, some of which I'd forgotten I had, which amount to several hundred, and will post some results a bit later this evening.

With regards,

Rob.