Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Driffield looks a very fine station the arches seem very unusual considering the rest of the staions  on this line how come they were built like this?

Yes I was going to ask the same. A fascinating feature unlike anything I can recollect seeing in a photo of any other station.

And also apparently beautifully kept, both the painting of the building and the flower baskets. Our railways have improved a lot in recent years!

Paul

Yes I was going to ask the same. A fascinating feature unlike anything I can recollect seeing in a photo of any other station.

And also apparently beautifully kept, both the painting of the building and the flower baskets. Our railways have improved a lot in recent years!

Paul

From some peoples point of view our railways have been destroyed since 1996 but Driffield has emerged unscathed compared to others.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you everyone for your contributions. I am not sure, but Driffield originally had an overall roof, and I wonder if those arches were something to do with that?

Tonight we are having a look at Muston LC, to the north of Filey, in two photo's. The road which crosses the railway here is the main A165 road from Bridlington to Scarborough. The railway was double tracked until 1983. The photo's were taken in October, 2010.

Looking to Filey:

post-22631-0-16463200-1447627035_thumb.jpg

And looking to Seamer:

post-22631-0-29809300-1447627069.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 5

Thank you everyone for your contributions. I am not sure, but Driffield originally had an overall roof, and I wonder if those arches were something to do with that?

Tonight we are having a look at Muston LC, to the north of Filey, in two photo's. The road which crosses the railway here is the main A165 road from Bridlington to Scarborough. The railway was double tracked until 1983. The photo's were taken in October, 2010.

Looking to Filey:

attachicon.gif100_4778 - Copy.jpg

And looking to Seamer:

attachicon.gif100_4780 - Copy.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

The signalbox from Muston is now at the DVLR at Murton near York.

Driffield looks a very fine station the arches seem very unusual considering the rest of the staions  on this line how come they were built like this?

The stations in East Yorkshire were built when railways were the newest thing and no expense was spared. One of the most notable examples was Rillington which only served a small village and was the junction for the Whitby branch but the station was given an overall roof similar to Filey.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/d/driffield/

From some peoples point of view our railways have been destroyed since 1996 but Driffield has emerged unscathed compared to others.

Only those who cannot remember the filthy state of the 1960s railways :stink: . As a southerner I lived in Staines and went to school in Sunbury. There was a lot of money around (Sunbury had the highest house prices by size of plot in the country in the mid 60s) but also had what must have been one of the dirtiest, ill kempt stations - and I quote these because both would have had hundreds of annual season ticket holders and earned large amounts of money for BR! None of it was returned to the station facilities! It didn't take privatisation to cheer them up, just NSE painting a lot of lamp standards & benches red and putting hanging baskets everywhere.

Paul

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, PinzaC55, and hmrspaul. Very interesting to see the photo's of Patrington, and how it changed over those years, inevitable with the closure of the line, of course.

The station roofs in East Yorkshire is a ceaseless sorce of inspiration, for the stations with roofs were so grand and imposing and gave the impression that the railway station was a very important place to be, and a journey from there was of the greatest of importance.

The box from Muston can, just, be seen here, in the distance, from this photo' I took in mid August of this year. The line was not running on the day I went, and this was the best photo' that I was able to take.

post-22631-0-95880800-1447709878_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 4

Signalling and track layout of Hornsea, this originates from 1898, and when the line was made double. The signalling was brought up to date c1927, but the P Way remained the same layout until the '50's when the DMu's saw off the need for the turntable and the engine release. There was very few terminus stations that had a level crossing at the buffer stops.

attachment=645216:H25A HORNSEA Signalling 1898.jpg]

post-702-0-17694900-1447718573_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was originally built as a plain wall with the usual windows. Later, waiting rooms etc were added and the arches created from the window openings to provide access to these and to create a wider platform. Would have been a fairly narrow platform before those alterations.

Maybe someone can confirm?

• RMweb Premium

Signalling and track layout of Hornsea, this originates from 1898, and when the line was made double. The signalling was brought up to date c1927, but the P Way remained the same layout until the '50's when the DMu's saw off the need for the turntable and the engine release. There was very few terminus stations that had a level crossing at the buffer stops.

attachment=645216:H25A HORNSEA Signalling 1898.jpg]

Some aspects of the signalling seem interesting.  Presumably the sprung points at the spur were sprung towards Platform 3, so if a train arrived in Platform 3 (as the layout allows) and it's loco needed to run round through Platform 2, presumably the fireman would need to hold the points over in that direction?  Are signals 37 and 38 there to protect the level crossing from locos moving from left to right, in which case drawn the 'wrong way round'?

I don't know the exact reason, but obviously so the signalman had control over shunt moves. The most likely is they were the equivalent of an "Outer Home", they would prevent movement towards the platform Starters when a "Conflicting Move" was being made through the Scissors Crossover etc. The ideas of 120 years ago, are somewhat different to those of today.

• RMweb Gold

I tend to agree with Mick regarding the purpose of those signals - basically to stop an engine moving back up a platform line without authority as otherwise there was nothing to prevent that happening.  

As far as the spring points were concerned logically they would have been sprung away from the line on which trains usually arrived - i.e. if 3 was normally used for arrivals in everyday working the spring points would lie towards No. 2 platform line and thus there was no need for the enginemen to touch the points when making a run-round movement as tehy would train through them from their arrival platform and the points would reset themselves towards No.2 which was used to release the engine.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, everyone. Thank you all for your contributions. They are, as always, most welcome.

Regarding the arches in the wall on the up platform at Driffield station, I have found some information in the Hull to Scarborough book by Addymann and Fawcett (NERA). In it on page 51 it states that the main issue at Driffield was the platform available for passengers waiting for a train to Hull. It  needed to be wider and have some kind of waiting room, and also, ideally, a footbridge. The latter did not happen, but in early 1874, work began on widening the up platform by some fifteen feet. It entailed punching a series of large arches through the rear wall of the trainshed, but no one thought of the outcome, namely wind and rain driving through the openings. It was three years later that an outer wall with a pent roof over the exposed platform was constructed. The opportunity was taken to provide a waiting room, toilets, and a small booking office as well.

I hope that this is of some interest.

Tonight we have a further look at Driffield, on the 11th July this year.

post-22631-0-13952200-1447798369_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-95468200-1447798394_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thank you PinzaC55 for the two photo's of Driffield, they are very interesting, and show that little has changed since the mid - 1990's.

Tonight we are having a further look at Cherry Tree crossing, Beverley. The photo's were taken on the 17th January, 1986. It was a fairly grim weather day!

post-22631-0-50305300-1447882104_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-54192100-1447882129_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

Thanks for the Driffield information the grain wharehouse  looks an interesting building.

I have looked at it on Google Earth and it has been very tastefully restored with the bricked up windows reopened and the grain hoists refurbished. There's a superb photo of the "Malton Dodger" passing it in happier times here  http://picssr.com/photos/thanoz/interesting/page13?nsid=7616565@N08 (bottom of page) Note the Ganger's Trolley runoff and shed on the right.

Nice shot of Driffield West box here  http://www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk/history/stations/driffield-station/#prettyPhoto[gallery-146]/3/

Edited by PinzaC55