Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Can I ask what type of DMU that is in Mr Pinza's photo, heading to Hull?

I'm afraid that I am not overly knowledgeable over DMU's.

It's a BRCW unit, latterly class 104.  I've included a link to the appropriate railcar association page who have some really good photos of them as well as operating history etc.

http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/class-104/

Here are some shots of Rillington station from 1978. In the first we can see how GT Andrews turned the standard main building used elsewhere on the line parallel to the track and gave it 2 bay windows.

21758289.8907cfbd.800.jpg

The roadside elevation.

21758287.45f7c49d.800.jpg

The view looking towards York. The down side buildings and supporting wall for the overall roof were long gone.

21758277.75b0e3ec.800.jpg

A 3 car DMU heads for York.

21758279.39988cdb.800.jpg

The 1950s signalbox. The station used to have a signalbox near the Whitby branch junction and a gatebox here.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, PinzaC55 for those really great and histrorical photo's of Rillington. That last photo' really helps to put into perspective the way the station changed after the passenger service finished, and then after WWll the roof was removed. And many thanks, Simon Lee, for those excellent photo's of Brough and the Miniature Railway in Scarborough, you are quite right, the miniature railway is all too often overlooked!

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Here is a photo' taken i May, 2010, of a class 185, number 185107, leaving Scarborough on a journey to Liverpool Lime Street. The signal bridge and bullhead rail were all still in use at that date.

post-22631-0-02756500-1448384554_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

On my one and only visit to Weaverthorpe station it was still in good fettle with the old clock stuck at 20 past 2. The interior mechanism for this clock turned up at the Malton auction many years later and went for just £40 though it was in a very poor state.

17236523.0df709d8.800.jpg

The signalbox was a splendid example of the unusual practice of building a box at 90 degrees to the track "sideways on". I didn't get invited inside.

17236583.57a1aa3d.800.jpg

A DMU heads for Scarborough past the loading dock which was used for shipping products from a local steel fabrication works.

17230015.5d2f404d.800.jpg

Another DMU heads for Leeds under a threatening sky.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, PinzaC55, for those excellent photo's of Weaverthorpe. They do fill in a gap on the York to Scarborough line.

Tonight, I am posting a photo' of Bempton, taken on 28th,September, 2014. A class 158 departs for Bridlington. Please don't forget that on Friday it is the 50th anniversary since the final train ran from York to Market Weighton and Hull. There will be various photo's and links to videos etc, on this thread on Friday to commemorate that anniversary.

post-22631-0-42835200-1448491052_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

Knapton station was very similar to Weaverthorpe except here the door portico was brick instead of stone. Once again the clock is in place together with a fire bucket board and lamp bracket.

21758267.f891c990.800.jpg

Side view. The differing brickwork suggests it may have been single story once ?

21758265.408f00d2.800.jpg

The old weighbridge was well maintained and the huge ABM plant still had rail sidings.

21758253.92281318.800.jpg

The signalbox which appeared to lean slightly but may just have been me !

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mick, and PinzaC55 for the photo's of Beverley Cherry Tree box, and Knapton.

I am only saying, at this time, that a little later today, I shall be posting photo's, links to videos and other things about the 50th anniversary of the running of the last ever train from York to Hull via Market Weighton. It departed York at 9.45pm, and was formed of a 6-car DMU - Metro-Cammell and Cravens cars.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, here we go with 50th anniversary special! Starting with a link to photo on Disused Stations to the 6th March, 1965, and a class 40 is running into Market Weighton station from Hull. http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/market_weighton/market(ricsrailpics6.3.1965)weighton_old17.jpg

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here is a most fascinating find!!!!

It is an article commemorating the 50th anniversary of the closure if the line, and in it are photo's which I have never seen before! It is a fascinating read, and do please read it you will find it so interesting!

Here is the link to it. http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/14108911.ALL_ABOARD__Is_there_hope_for_the_York_to_Beverley_rail_line_50_years_after_it_closed_/?ref=rss

Many regards,

Rob

• Like 2