Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

An art critic of course would note the juxtaposition of the once-grande platforms (they are wide, which is synonymous with important stations) of an era long gone, together with a relatively modest DMU/Pacer signifying the declining important of both the railways post beeching/marples(-ridgeway cough) and the whole Country post suez.

This viewpoint is further cemented by the generally overcast nature of the day and the isolated Pacer waiting for passengers that will no longer arrive and through this we get a profound understanding of the cyclical nature of all things. The railway starts as a simple, basic tool- all black wrought iron, then progresses to big wide platforms and long straight lines ready for the increasing speed as it reaches its peak performance and importance, before slowly withering away into overcast desolation as a 4 axle railbus, devoid of passengers and devoid of importance.

In homage to Turner I would call this "The Fighting Pacer"

Derek, what a wonderful reply, if I'm aloud to admit(without been carried off to the funny farm)I've always had time for the Pacers, devolved by a cash strapped railway they helped keep some of the remaining branch lines open, I believe if it wasn't for them the Esk Valley line wouldn't have survived and we wouldn't be enjoying steam to Whitby today

Rob

• Like 1

Mick,

I said "art critic" and not "railway historian".

Of course I would point out that my factual inexactitudes above are mirrored by many of the errors in Turner's 'The Fighting Temeraire' or at least in the critique of his work.

But enough of my O/T ramblings and thanks for the correction. There are a few other stations with similarly wide platforms that I had just taken for granted being 'grander' once and maybe more recently widened.

I agree, Flash.

I have made the point that the Pacers have possibly saved several routes (and had their predecessors, such as the Park Royal's or even the first generation of DMU's been given a chance then perhaps marples would never have got away with his criminal act); indeed, I used the example of Whitby and the Esk line quite recently.

I don't think Pacers are that bad at all- where they are a problem is if they are attached to the back of a 158 and sent long distance journeys for which they aren't suited.

But I digress. Apologies.

The Birkin film was interesting but somehow depressing too.

I couldn't work out the colour of the 08. My guess is green but it appears to be filthy.

Some fascinating 'period' cars too. Like the Mk 4 Ford and the Mk 1 Sprite.

steve

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that excellent photo' of Sigglesthorne, Mick. It is interesting to see the station in the early days of it's existance. It all looked very neat, clean and tidy!

Tonight I have a photo' of Filey station taken from the LC. It shows the impact of the renewed roof quite well I think. It dates from April, 2010.

post-22631-0-79444900-1449102788_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

It is interesting to see that much of the brickwork on that 'box is of standard running bond. Running bond is usually used as a front to an inner structure, or for non supporting walls.

It is clear that some of the mortar is relatively new, but you can't tell whether it is old brick re-pointed or new brickwork. Would this 'box previously have larger, deeper windows by chance?

You can see some English Garden Wall bond lower to the left. This contrasts to Mick's other picture above (Sigglesthorne) where you can clearly see an English Garden (or very similar) bond.

The amount of detail to be found on a railway, that we (ie me) normally would take for granted is quite staggering.

Here is an old film showing the line being scrapped. I hope that you will find it of some interest.

With regards,

Rob.

Interesting fact - I looked up the number of the Class 03 number 2113 shunting at 4.00 and it still exists in preservation at the Heritage Shunters Trust at Rowsley , Peak Rail.

http://www.heritageshunters.co.uk/Pictures/03113/03113%20Rowsley%2003-09-11-01.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, PinzaC55. The information about the class 03 shunter, 2113, is something of which I was not aware. It is always fascinating to find out what happens to locomotives and stock after they are withdrawn from service. We, mostly, know, for example, that B1 61306, that hauled the final train form Hull to York on 27th November, 1965, has, since withdrawal, been preserved.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Thank you, PinzaC55. The information about the class 03 shunter, 2113, is something of which I was not aware. It is always fascinating to find out what happens to locomotives and stock after they are withdrawn from service. We, mostly, know, for example, that B1 61306, that hauled the final train form Hull to York on 27th November, 1965, has, since withdrawal, been preserved.

With regards,

Rob.

You're welcome ! And according to the headboard it was the Scarborough Pilot too. It mortifies me that I didn't take more photos of the humble 03s. I wonder how many other now closed lines it worked trains on ? I used to have the Marsden video of the Whitby - Scarborough line and I think the train in 1968 carrying scrap men tendering for the line was hauled by an 03.

Edited by PinzaC55

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that photo' of Sandholme, Mick. Interesting to see a WD running tender first as well.

Tonight I am going back three years to April, 2012, with a visit to Beverley station and a special train hauled by 47580 'County of Essex'.

post-22631-0-78769400-1449277275.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 6

Thank you for that photo', PinzaC55. The last few times I have visited the NRM, I have not seen the seat. I am wondering what has become of it.

With regards,

Rob.

It was in the small exhibits section in 2011. Don't blame me for the poor focus on this photo, as you can see, I have a cast iron excuse. 

post-276-0-84246000-1449343705.jpg

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 5

It was in the small exhibits section in 2011. Don't blame me for the poor focus on this photo, as you can see, I have a cast iron excuse. 

attachicon.gifP1020955.JPG

And it's in a totally non-prototypical livery  :stinker:

Incidentally this sold for £620 in an auction today  http://www.gcrauctions.com/sale202/lot245.html

And this http://www.gcrauctions.com/sale202/lot306.html

Edited by PinzaC55

You're welcome ! And according to the headboard it was the Scarborough Pilot too. It mortifies me that I didn't take more photos of the humble 03s. I wonder how many other now closed lines it worked trains on ? I used to have the Marsden video of the Whitby - Scarborough line and I think the train in 1968 carrying scrap men tendering for the line was hauled by an 03.

I had the video, long gone. Seem to recall it was 2151, i'm sure there's some footage on RM Web. D2113 always seemed to be station pilot at Scarborough in the early 70's

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for your contributions everyone. They are very welcome. Please keep them coming.

Tonight we are having a look at Driffield from Skerne Road LC. There are three photo's, including one of the box, which were taken in the summer of this year.

post-22631-0-33607100-1449360312_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-34701000-1449360327_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-03990200-1449360359_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 6