Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Stepney station when open to traffic. The building has now been very tastefully renovated, and is now a "Des Res".

attachicon.gifSTEPNEY Station.jpg

The door at this end of the buildings, partly behind the sign, was the S & T linesman's room. First there one morning and I unlocked the door to loud snoring. The linesman had been refused entry to his home because of his drunken state and had spent the night sleeping there on a wooden bench. After calling in and receiving instructions for the day, he went home for a wash, shave and a change of clothes leaving me to clean and oil under Stepney cabin. 

Happy days.

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 1

The door at this end of the buildings, partly behind the sign, was the S & T linesman's room. First there one morning and unlocked the door to loud snoring. The linesman had been refused entry to his home because of his drunken state and had spent the night sleeping there on a wooden bench. After calling in and receiving instructions for the day, he went home for a wash, shave and a change of clothes leaving me to clear and oil under Stepney cabin. 

Happy days.

It must have been pretty tempting having a pub just behind the box ! I looked it up on Google Earth and it has hardly changed, though a bit dilapidated I thought. Interesting to see how relatively unobstructed the Cannon Street branch appears to be.

Two more, or Hull Botanic gardens in happier days, mid 70's.

attachicon.gifDiesels 70's and 80's777.jpg

attachicon.gifDiesels 70's and 80's776.jpg

Nice views there, they remind me of shed visits from that era, (I think I went to BG once).

The loco sand van and spilt sand seen in the first photo is a nice detail, I remember a similar van located at Pantyffynnon,

cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. I know we are all busy getting ready for Christmas, so just one photo' tonight. It shows another view of the former goods warehouse at Pocklington, taken on 1st December, 2013.

post-22631-0-14625700-1450484667.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, and Lord Flashheart. Some excellent photo's.

Tonight we are having a look at what I believe was a grain warehouse on the up side of the line at Beverley, just to the south of the Station LC. It is a structure that is ripe for modelling! The photo' was taken in mid-January, 1985.

post-22631-0-50496900-1450567654_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thank you Mick, and PinzaC55 for your photo's. Tonight, I have a photo' of what was the weighbridge at Hutton Cranswick. There is little left of the roof, but the windows are not so bad.

post-22631-0-01615300-1450745737.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for those two photo's, Rob. Do you know when they were taken, and the trains being worked?

I agree about that weighbridge. It is a good example of one, and surely should be saved.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Rob. Those trains are probably working on those services. The weighbridge would be a good addition at Fimber. It would need various arrangements making to get it there, but it would be worth the effort.

With regards,

Rob.

Hope no-one minds me gatecrashing this thread but thought the attached may be of interest.

All taken at Dairycoates, 3rd November 1963.

Nothing special about them, I don't think, apart from perhaps a little bit of "historical interest".

The last one is, I believe, the area known as 7 section & shows (badly!) a row of withdrawn V1/V3 tanks in the centre, with some artic coaches on the left.

Apologies for the (lack of) quality but at the time I was a spotty 14-year old with a borrowed camera, lots of enthusiasm but absolutely no skill.  Little changes (apart from age!).

post-11812-0-37750600-1450920865_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-10491200-1450920877_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-93525200-1450920889_thumb.jpg

post-11812-0-84096000-1450920853_thumb.jpg

For the record, I was born in Cottingham & lived just off the Anlaby Road, not far from the bus garage, before being whisked 130 miles or so west at the age of 5 as my dad sought better opportunities for work.  Mother's aunt & uncle lived at the Springbank end of Calvert Lane & I clearly remember walking up past the fire station & under the double railway bridge to visit them.  Also remember clouds of smoke & smog coming from what I now know was the H&BR operating HQ.  If only I could borrow the good Doctor's TARDIS for a while  .  .  .  .

The photos were taken on one of the many trips back over the pennines to visit relatives.  Got quite a few more taken over the following couple of years or so if anyone would like to see them.

As an aside, parents' wedding certificate shows paternal grandfather's occupation as "LNER".

Does anyone know of a register anywhere that would give me some details of what he did & where he did it?

• Like 13

Graham

you could try the LNER encyclopedia www.lner.info and the LNER society www.lnersociety.org.uk

I believe also that the Ken Hoole research centre at Darlington holds extensive employee records.

The encyclopedia has a discussion forum. You could do worse than asking there.

Also you could try the NER Association- my understanding is (and I am not 100% certain) is that they too rescued quite a bit of former employee records.

I don't know if any of that might help, but good luck with it.