Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

post-30500-0-61844100-1485191993_thumb.jpg

Hello again

I have, at last, made a start on the planning of my Cherry Tree layout, when it is a little more presentable I will post for comments good or bad.

The recent appearance of the "Western" at Beverley got me wondering what other rarities have been noted on the line over the years. It would be useful to know so i might be able to slip the odd one in when I eventually get the layout up and running.

I would like to start the ball rolling with 58003 on 14th May 1984 passing through Beverley head towards Hull. One thing that struck me was the fact that there were several cables running the length of the locomotive at solebar level, sadly I did not have a camera with me at the time. I know it entered service in July 1983 so can only assume it was some form of test run maybe from Doncaster or York maybe?

Finally one more photo for you to enjoy, (I hope!), 5000 running through Cottingham on it's way to Scarborough on 4th April 1983.

Thanks

Simon

Edited by SIMON6135
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The recent appearance of the "Western" at Beverley got me wondering what other rarities have been noted on the line over the years. It would be useful to know so i might be able to slip the odd one in when I eventually get the layout up and running.

What time frame are you looking at Simon? I have copies of my brothers records which cover roughly 1963 - 1967, I can offer quite a lot of info from 1967 to the mid 70's.

Can't guarantee any great gems but happy to look through and see what I can find.

Regards

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Simon. Earlier in this thread I did post some photos I took of the HST that was named at Beverley station in April 1984.

Back in the mid 1930's the unique Kitson Still steam and diesel locomotive worked through from York on the mid-afternoon freight to Hull via Market Weighton.

Looking forward to seeing your layout.

With best regards,

Rob.

Goole this morning looking toward Doncaster:

IMG_0834.JPG

And a view of the remains of the yard:

IMG_0835.JPG

steve

I can fondly remember the station yard in Goole one Saturday in early 1980. There were two 37's (37113 & 37123) and three 08's (08099, 08776 & 08777) parked up there, all switched off and doors unlocked. As a lad of thirteen at the time me and my mates cheekily cabbed each one and for a few minutes at least imagined we were drivers. Sad to see Goole yard gone now. Edited by Hals1967

• RMweb Gold

What time frame are you looking at Simon? I have copies of my brothers records which cover roughly 1963 - 1967, I can offer quite a lot of info from 1967 to the mid 70's.

Can't guarantee any great gems but happy to look through and see what I can find.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

I'd be very interested to see what you could find, I'm looking at a layout loosely based around Hull, but trying to find information for 1965-1970 is a little bit hit and miss,

Thanks

Andy

Regards

Simon

Simon, during summer 1980, a Deltic worked a excursion, I possibly photographed it from Cherry Tree.

Hi, Simon. Earlier in this thread I did post some photos I took of the HST that was named at Beverley station in April 1984.

Back in the mid 1930's the unique Kitson Still steam and diesel locomotive worked through from York on the mid-afternoon freight to Hull via Market Weighton.

Looking forward to seeing your layout.

With best regards,

Rob.

Found the picture I mentioned.

attachicon.gifCHERRY TREE Deltic 1980 - Copy.jpg

Here is the Kitson Still locomotive, and appropratly seen stood on the Up Goods Line at Cherry Tree..

attachicon.gifKITSON STILL.jpg

Good evening to you all.

First, thank you for the replies it is appreciated.

The time frame would be from the earlier 1970's until the line was rationalised and all infrastructure removed, I would be interested to see what turned up during those years.

I am also going to have to eat a large slice of humble pie as well I am afraid, a good friend swore he saw 55008 running through Beverley but as usual no one believed him at the time, until now that is. I very much doubt he will ever let me forget this either especially with photographic evidence.

I do remember the HST named at Beverley, I pulled a "sickie" that day and got a serious rollocking when  I got caught out after I left the photos of the day on my desk, sadly I lost them a couple of years ago when a burst pipe claimed many of my collection.

Funnily enough I have just started reading about the Kitson locomotive, I never imagined it would have come this way at all, irrational really when you think how close York and Doncaster both are.

Once again thank you all for the replies, and once I have something resembling a layout I will share it with you.

Another couple of photo tonight, this time 1306 at Dairycoates in April 1984

Thanks again

Simon

post-30500-0-18221600-1485281673_thumb.jpg

post-30500-0-83385300-1485281679_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Andy, what exactly are you looking for?

Hi Mick,

I'm looking at producing a layout loosely based on Hull, from 1965-1975, I can get most of the required info from WTTs, but I'm trying to find which specific diesels were used on the non-DMU services to allow realistic running. There are a large number of photos from the 1970's which allow identification, but there seems to be a lack of photos from 1965-70, apart from the standard 37's based at Dairycoates

Hi Mick,

I'm looking at producing a layout loosely based on Hull, from 1965-1975, I can get most of the required info from WTTs, but I'm trying to find which specific diesels were used on the non-DMU services to allow realistic running. There are a large number of photos from the 1970's which allow identification, but there seems to be a lack of photos from 1965-70, apart from the standard 37's based at Dairycoates

Holbeck supplied 24s and 25s for many of the trains from the West Riding (5113, 7568 been regulars). York based type 1s made appearances on the Scarborough- Plymouth. Brush 4s and 46s appeared on devices from Kings X and services from the Midlands. Midland DMUs from several depots used to turn up too.

Al Taylor

I can't really help with locomotives etc, I lost interest when steam finished. Look out for a copy "More Illustrated History of Hull's Railways" it's still in print, this gives a complete allocation of all engines shedded at Hull 1922 onwards.

I can help with station layouts, signalling diagrams and photographs etc, just ask.

Hi Mick,

Hi Andy,

Don't forget the ex WR Class 14 diesel hydraulics which were briefly transferred to Dairycoates 67/68.....operated both singly and double-headed.

Cheers, Steve

• RMweb Premium

Nothing out the ordinary in these 3 but a flavour of what was to be seen in 1974

post-79-0-64152300-1485350325_thumb.jpg

Class 40 heads off Cricket ground curve

post-79-0-76954800-1485350342_thumb.jpg

A 37 heads for the coast.

post-79-0-53649200-1485350355_thumb.jpg

A 47 heads a return Sunday Working Mans Club excursion back to the West Riding at White bridge (Woodgates Lane)

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

Don't forget the ex WR Class 14 diesel hydraulics which were briefly transferred to Dairycoates 67/68.....operated both singly and double-headed.

Cheers, Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm looking more at passenger services to/from Paragon rather than freight and I'm guessing they weren't used for passenger services, would be great for variety if they were!!

Cheers, Andy

Nothing out the ordinary in these 3 but a flavour of what was to be seen in 1974

Pennine 1149.jpg

Class 40 heads off Cricket ground curve

Pennine 1150.jpg

A 37 heads for the coast.

Pennine 1151.jpg

A 47 heads a return Sunday Working Mans Club excursion back to the West Riding at White bridge (Woodgates Lane)

Cheers Simon. That's precisely the appeal...Nothing out of the ordinary. Simply the norm back then is now a fascinating look back in time.