Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

I think I can answer that question in Mick’s absence. The signal in that photo’ is actually the up starter and never had a distant arm added for Flemingate. The down starter had a distant arm, but I’m not sure of the date it was added to it.

And thank you, Mick, for the correction regarding the date when the section of line through Botanic Gardens closed down. Unfortunately I took the information from Ben’s caption without cross checking it. I will cross check such captions from now on.

Best regards,

Rob.

I've had a look at Google Earth for the view as shewn by Mike's picture of the track work into 7 section adjacent to Montague Meyer's wood yard is but a memory, in that area, now a part of a "trading estate".There is nothing to be seen,. 

The only rails in the area, are those coming under the Hessle Road flyover, and climbing up to "Tin can" bridge. That only remains because it crosses over the other example of track in the area, with the access to Tarmac's depot, adjacent to Dairycoates loco shed.

That involves three points only and could be out of use now.

Regarding poor old Dairycoates East box, it could not even die gracefully.  I was desperate for a job in the sixes at one point and a friend got me in at the North Eastern Gas Board. They readily employed me when they discovered my digging skills gained with the S & T dept. The gang I was with was sent to find a leak, around the heap of bricks that was the remains of the said box. There was indeed a very strong smell of gas and after some very careful digging, we exposed a battered meter which had been forgotten, buried!  We had to cut it off, make it safe and report back.    

I have seen some useful archive maps of Hull on the Old Maps website oldmaps.co.uk......maybe if you search for Dairycoates on the site you might find an archive rail map. They are small but comprehesive.....

Ray

• RMweb Premium

I think I can answer that question in Mick’s absence. The signal in that photo’ is actually the up starter and never had a distant arm added for Flemingate. The down starter had a distant arm, but I’m not sure of the date it was added to it.

And thank you, Mick, for the correction regarding the date when the section of line through Botanic Gardens closed down. Unfortunately I took the information from Ben’s caption without cross checking it. I will cross check such captions from now on.

Best regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob, for some reason l looked at the footbridge thinking it was part of the station. Time for Specsavers me thinks

I have seen some useful archive maps of Hull on the Old Maps website oldmaps.co.uk......maybe if you search for Dairycoates on the site you might find an archive rail map. They are small but comprehesive.....

Ray

The location of the timber yard is the two large buildings in the lower half of the picture just across from Hessle Rd box.

A similiar view is also in modern locos illustrated the class 14s.

Paul

post-6856-0-48220200-1542452335_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Something rather different tonight. A piece of railwayana from Beverley station, which was recently auctioned. It’s a sign, that was hung up, giving the destination and intermediate station details for one of the services to York via Market Weighton. It’s of BR origin, and makes a splendid sight in the NER’s tangerine.

post-22631-0-14710700-1542496762.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

Something rather different tonight. A piece of railwayana from Beverley station, which was recently auctioned. It’s a sign, that was hung up, giving the destination and intermediate station details for one of the services to York via Market Weighton. It’s of BR origin, and makes a splendid sight in the NER’s tangerine.

attachicon.gifF9F65D07-B0B6-49B5-82AA-DDACB3870030.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

Oh, to be able to use that service today...

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Tonight, courtesy of the Creative Commons Licence, and a photo’ taken by J. Thomas on the 20th January, 2018, we go over to Ferriby station, and waiting for us is a doomed class 142, 142079, along with an unidentified class 158 DMU.

post-22631-0-29119900-1542924356_thumb.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 3

I hope these might be of some interest. They are pictures I took in (I think) 1989 when I went into Hull Paragon and discovered a TV programme being filmed. There was a steam loco in the end platform....could have been a preserved Southern Region engine. I don't know what the programme was called but I did see it when it was broadcast!

post-32699-0-23265600-1542997803_thumb.jpg

post-32699-0-39318600-1542997824_thumb.jpg

Ray

• Like 8

Wasn’t that a Ferreo Rocher advert and City of Wells?

Worked in Hull Royal Infirmary around that time and had clear view of the lines at back of hospital from accommodation block. Stunned one evening when seem to recall City of Wells headed past.

Worked in Hull Royal Infirmary around that time and had clear view of the lines at back of hospital from accommodation block. Stunned one evening when seem to recall City of Wells headed past.

Doc

It wasn't an advert, it was a series or something about the First World War......I think! And I'm sure it wasn't a Pacific.....but it was a long time ago!!

Ray

How about an Agatha Christie then??

I offer a Poirot episode circa 1991 The Plymouth Express

View from the accommodation window when should have been studying! 

Exact details lost in mists of time all circa 1988 but;

47 600 St David and 47 188

47 626 with intercity coaches

47 215 on engineering train 

Soft spot for Hull, worked Beverley Westwood, Hull Royal, Hedon Road maternity etc and wife from Hull.  

Don't suppose you have anything on the grounded railway coaches used as Tote office in the old Hull KR rugby ground??? 

post-16796-0-71166200-1543054573_thumb.jpeg

post-16796-0-21439800-1543054584_thumb.jpeg

post-16796-0-18997000-1543054734_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

How about an Agatha Christie then??

I offer a Poirot episode circa 1991 The Plymouth Express

View from the accommodation window when should have been studying! 

Exact details lost in mists of time all circa 1988 but;

47 600 St David and 47 188

47 626 with intercity coaches

47 215 on engineering train 

Soft spot for Hull, worked Beverley Westwood, Hull Royal, Hedon Road maternity etc and wife from Hull.  

Don't suppose you have anything on the grounded railway coaches used as Tote office in the old Hull KR rugby ground??? 

No such pictures I'm afraid....I only went to Craven Park once and I didn't see any coaches!

Ray

No such pictures I'm afraid....I only went to Craven Park once and I didn't see any coaches!

Ray

They were all next door outside the rear of the Holderness Road Corporation tram, then trolley and finally bus depot.

The dog racing was sometime to behold I understand at Craven Dark.

This comming Saturday is the NERA meeting at the Carnegie centre Anlaby Road. Hull, The subject is a journey along the H&BRly by Ian Watson, an authority on the subject. Practicaly all of the pictures were taken by Ian and have never been publicly shown. Doors open at 1300hrs for a 1330hrs start, no membership required and all welcome.

City of Wells was used in the Chocolate advert, I was signalman at Gylberdyke the night it worked into Hull, and I also saw the filming on Paragon. Sir Lameol was also used one Sunday for filming.

• Like 1

This coming Saturday is the NERA meeting at the Carnegie Centre Anlaby Road Hull. The subject is a journey along the H&BRly by Ian K Watson, Ian will be showing pictures mainly of his own taking and previously unseen in public. Doors open 1300hrs for a 1330hrs start, all welcome, NERA membership is not required.

• Like 1

As we say at work, just needed a lie down for a bit. I prefer it not be a crane, concrete pump or any other equipment on my building sites. 

Mick the talk sounds wonderful, I could really do with a heap of architectural information but from this side of the earth it is a bit difficult with time and money to make it! 

As we say at work, just needed a lie down for a bit. I prefer it not be a crane, concrete pump or any other equipment on my building sites. 

Mick the talk sounds wonderful, I could really do with a heap of architectural information but from this side of the earth it is a bit difficult with time and money to make it! 

Doug, what are you after? I may be able to help via this modern version of the "Electric Telegraph".

H&BRly Class G2 No68 at Barchard's Lane following a "Run Away" from Springhead shed yard, February 1909. The engine was soon "Mended" and put back to traffic and survived to become LNERly 2449.

attachicon.gifG2 No68 February 1909.jpg

Hello Mick, I've been 'lurking' on this forum for a while now and have reminisced fondly looking at your posts and pictures of Hull and surrounding areas, however your mention of Barchards prompted me into corresponding.

I lived on Willerby Road/Derringham Bank from 1964 (aged 3) through to 1984 and spent many happy childhood hours exploring the then redundant/rusting, but still in-situ Springhead sidings, (up to Springhead Lane bridge) Calvert Lane bridges and the H&BR alignment further towards town. As you can imagine I was also born just too late to appreciate the end of steam and experience travel on the Victoria Dock Branch lines to Hornsea and Withernsea, however I do recall steam locos traversing Botanic crossing on my way to and from town on the bus.

As a young lad my mates and I always used to refer to the area where the sheds still stood in the 1960's (next to where 'B Batch Group Shopfitting' currently stands on Spring Bank West) as Barchards (wood yard). I'm interested to know as to what extent did Barchards property extended over the area west of Calvert Lane and where exactly (based on modern landmarks) the Class G2 No68 derailed in your photo.

Many thanks in advance for any information and recollections you may have on this area.

Best

Chris.