Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Hi Mick

I remember watching trains go past this box, in and out of Dairycoates yard and Hull via the main lines - watching from the Ferry Road bridge that used to be there in those days. 

In your third pic here (2x Class 31), am I right that the structure visible between the locos and the box, with what looks like a red & white safety barrier, was the construction site for the Humber Bridge decks? As I recollect, they assembled the deck sections here and then floated them up the river to be lifted up and located.

Best Wishes and thanks for all the great pics.

Edited by s182ggu

Thanks Mick - that helps a whole lot.

Was Dairycoates West box located just alongside the embankment / girder bridge on the down approach to Hessle Road? 

Cheers

It is,that pic was taken today on the daily exercise about 3.30 and it's strange now quiet that stretch of road is.

I do indeed volunteer at the YWR,until the plague  brought a halt to things our extension into field 2 was going well,keep an eye on our website and Facebook page for when we get going again ,you'll be made very welcome and there's always a good cup of tea to be had.

Rob

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Here’s a photo’ which I’ve come across on Flickr, by jsb303. It shows Filey Royal Oak South Junction, on Monday, 11th September, 1950, with D49/2 The Grove at the head of a six carriage train from Scarborough to Hull.

Note how the core four carriages of BT + T + CL + BT are surrounded by one T at each end of the formation.

30775735174_cb8f94b441_b.jpgFiley. Royal Oak South. Sept. 1950. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Walton Street level crossing Hull, summer 1979. Changing a Boom Gate and with trains and road traffic both running as normal, today's H&S Police would have a fit.

12G WALTON STREET  1979.jpg

Interesting photo Mick, thanks for sharing. It just happened that a few days ago I was looking for something else on the hard drive and came across the attached BR standard.

It also reminded me of the occasion when I was doing a bit of train-spotting at Riccall South one day when Pat the local PWay patrolman turned up (he also happened to be one of my Dad's drinking pals, but that's another story), and after speaking to the signalman (at Selby), put the AHBs into "Local" and ran out the pennants. A couple of minutes later the police turned up, checked a couple of things and then disappeared (I think they went to Riccall North AHBs). I asked Pat what was going on, "not allowed to tell you at the moment", he said. Curious I thought. In all the barriers must have been down for about 15 minutes when this train approached, nice and clean, and roared over the crossing. After Pat spoke to the signalman again he rolled up the pennants and restored the AHBs to "Normal". "That was the Queen he said, have do that at all these crossings when she's travelling by train".

Don't know what happens these days, but my guess is the pennants stopped being used quite sometime ago - unless of course, someone knows differently?

PS - would be interesting to see someone model a scenario using the pennants, just something to make it a little different from other layouts.

BR 957 Spec for Pennants _temp protection use at LC.pdf

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, iands said:

Interesting photo Mick, thanks for sharing. It just happened that a few days ago I was looking for something else on the hard drive and came across the attached BR standard.

It also reminded me of the occasion when I was doing a bit of train-spotting at Riccall South one day when Pat the local PWay patrolman turned up (he also happened to be one of my Dad's drinking pals, but that's another story), and after speaking to the signalman (at Selby), put the AHBs into "Local" and ran out the pennants. A couple of minutes later the police turned up, checked a couple of things and then disappeared (I think they went to Riccall North AHBs). I asked Pat what was going on, "not allowed to tell you at the moment", he said. Curious I thought. In all the barriers must have been down for about 15 minutes when this train approached, nice and clean, and roared over the crossing. After Pat spoke to the signalman again he rolled up the pennants and restored the AHBs to "Normal". "That was the Queen he said, have do that at all these crossings when she's travelling by train".

Don't know what happens these days, but my guess is the pennants stopped being used quite sometime ago - unless of course, someone knows differently?

PS - would be interesting to see someone model a scenario using the pennants, just something to make it a little different from other layouts.

BR 957 Spec for Pennants _temp protection use at LC.pdf 172.36 kB · 4 downloads

Stopped manning AHBs like that a very long time ago Ian.  It had definitely ceased by 1985 and probably quite a while before then - in fact I'm wondering if it was even in the final issued version of the Grove Instructions?

PS I hope you had sat yourself on that remaining little bit of the platform wall on the village side of the crossing - I see it's still there today although surrounded by hedge.  I seemed to spend most of the time during our visits to Riccall sitting on that bit of wall way back in the distant past

wall.jpg.2f62ff4497ba252480b3c5238b0c0b99.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Stopped manning AHBs like that a very long time ago Ian.  It had definitely ceased by 1985 and probably quite a while before then - in fact I'm wondering if it was even in the final issued version of the Grove Instructions?

PS I hope you had sat yourself on that remaining little bit of the platform wall on the village side of the crossing - I see it's still there today although surrounded by hedge.  I seemed to spend most of the time during our visits to Riccall sitting on that bit of wall way back in the distant past

wall.jpg.2f62ff4497ba252480b3c5238b0c0b99.jpg

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your comments. I would have been 14 or 15 at the time, so round about 1971-72, so that fits the timescale, not that long before the practice was withdrawn. Didn't sit on that bit of wall too much as at the time the barriers were there, there was a "half loc" in the fence line from that wall to the barrier pedestal (it provided the demarcation point to the railway for the electricity board's feed) which was much more "user friendly" for sitting on.

As you say, all changed now. Where the track is in the photo below is now Riccall by-pass (A19), and where you took the photo from I guess is just about where the leading pair of driving wheels are - and hardly a hedge in site!

PS - also should say that this photo just qualifies for the thread title. At the time, Riccall was in East Yorkshire. Just to the right of the spindly looking tree in the distance was the EYCC depot.

318424503_RiccallSouth.jpg.bd83e184cf9f403a18833b3a986e5349.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

And thanks for a picture including the signal box in which I first pulled, sorry tried to pull, a signal lever - Riccall South's Down Distant.  As it happens I have somewhere a transparency of a DMU standing in the Down Platform when working the morning unadvertised 'Rowntree train' from Selby to the Rowntree factory in York.

(The view I posted was sniped off Google - my own photo of the remaining bit of wall was taken before all those hedges grew up!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

And thanks for a picture including the signal box in which I first pulled, sorry tried to pull, a signal lever - Riccall South's Down Distant.  As it happens I have somewhere a transparency of a DMU standing in the Down Platform when working the morning unadvertised 'Rowntree train' from Selby to the Rowntree factory in York.

(The view I posted was sniped off Google - my own photo of the remaining bit of wall was taken before all those hedges grew up!)

Never had the opportunity to go into Riccall South box while it was still operational, only after I had started work on the railway and it had been converted to a PWay office. As a youngster (when visiting my grandparents) I did "ride" the gates a few times when they were being closed/opened (again, today's H&S police would have a hissy-fit if that happened today). However, I did manage one visit as a youngster to Riccall York Road box.

• RMweb Gold

Tonight, we are moving away from Riccall to Market Weighton, on the 6th March, 1965, the day a railtour was run to commemorate the fact it was the last day of trains over the Scarborough to Whitby and Whitby to Pickering and Malton lines. As far as Market Weighton it was hauled by the preserved K4 3442, The Great Marquess. Then, the now preserved K1, 62005, joined and double headed the train round to Scarborough, Whitby and Malton. So here is a photo, by  ricsrailpics, on Flickr, of the two engines backing onto the carriages at Market Weighton throwing up quite a bit of smoke and steam in the process.

3726287159_3b68eb0225_4k.jpg62005 & 'The Great Marquess'. Market Weighton. 6 March 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Tonight I have a photo’, by jsb303, on Flickr, from the day of the last trains to run between Beverley, Market Weighton and York, the 27th November, 1965. It shows Stamford Bridge station, in the snow, with the 12.11 from Hull, hauled by the now preserved B1 4-6-0 61306, and three corridor carriages.

12431988673_73e3671f01_b.jpgYork Area: Stamford Bridge. 1965. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, for that most excellent photo’ of Botanic crossing, Hull. Again, it adds so well to the history of the railways of Hull and East Yorkshire. Please keep the excellent photo’s coming when you are able to.

So, tonight, I have a photo’, from ricsrailpics, on Flickr, of Bempton signal cabin and station from the 30th December, 1965. Of course, only the up platform survives, along with the station buildings. The cabin, semaphore signals gates,, and down line are long gone. 
3713470993_3a330a56d1_4k.jpgBempton signal box and station building. 30 December 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, steve1 said:

Just wondering why that plank is wedged into the stairs.

steve

Hi Steve, that plank is used between the staircase and veranda so the signalman can get the windows to wash them, not sure how often they were actually used. Some times a "fold up" section of veranda would be provided rather than a precarious plank. What you see is the plank in its "stowed" position. However, just expanded the photo and looks like the signal box doesn't seem to (and possibly never did?) have a veranda as such, but it does look like the end of the plank nearest the track is perhaps resting on the end of another plank - perhaps the plank, although stowed at the time the photo was taken, is/has been used to allow painters access to paint the windows? 

Edited by iands
Hurriedly trying to correct myself for not looking at the photo in more detail in the first place.
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1