Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Ian, Howden East to Howden West and Beverley Road were both "Short Sections" so may be the answer. Conversely Eastrington East to Eastrington West was also a short section, but here conventional practice was followed Mick.

28_EASTRINGTON_EAST.JPG

29_EASTRINGTON_WEST.JPG

Thanks Mick, very useful info re short sections, something I hadn't considered. Good to know you are a human encyclopaedia on such matters.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I presume that the crossing was put in to enable them to get materials and people onto the river bank to build the bridge deck sections.  I remember seeing them under construction.  I seem to remember  that they were then floated out to be winched up into position.

Jamie

Hiya Mick, was the crossing a mechanical barrier one? Nunthorpe still has a set of those but not sure if any others still exist as I believe they were an NE region thing as were electrically worked boom gates

How come Jim Morrison was stood on your lever frame! 

Cheers Russ 

• Funny 1

23 minutes ago, russ p said:

Hiya Mick, was the crossing a mechanical barrier one? Nunthorpe still has a set of those but not sure if any others still exist as I believe they were an NE region thing as were electrically worked boom gates

Cheers Russ 

Russ, yes Hessle Haven had Mechanical Barriers, a set remains in use at Driffield interestingly with everything else worked from a panel.

Never heard of Jim Morrison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Russ, yes Hessle Haven had Mechanical Barriers, a set remains in use at Driffield interestingly with everything else worked from a panel.

Never heard of Jim Morrison.

Cheers Mick

So there are probably two sets remaining,  are there any boom gates still left over your way ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Morrison 

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, russ p said:

Hi Russ,

I thought your query was about barriers/gates not Doors? :jester: 

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, everyone, for a fascinating discussion about the H&BR and boom barriers etc., it all adds to the knowledge of our local railways and, hopefully, shows that there are many things of interest about the railways of Hull and East Yorkshire. Please keep it going so we can all learn more.

Tonight I have a photo’ of some Teddybears, class 14’s , on shed at Dairycoates shed, by Fred Castor on Flickr. Sadly no exact date is known. 

16494731469_1e952ce356_k.jpgClass 14 Teddybears Hull Dairycoates MPD by Fred Castor, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob,

A fantastic photo of the Teddybears, a very vivid and somewhat haunting image with them all lined up on one road.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Ian, further to my earlier comment about drawings being wrong in my H&BRly Diagram book, here's a typical example, Springbank North, Hull.

10 SPRINGBANK NORTH.jpg

Thanks Mick. I assume the "wrong"  bit(s) are signal related again? I'll study it later today to see if I can identify what is in error. 

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, iands said:

Once again, many thanks Mick. The arrangements of the distants at Howden East and Beverley Road are, as you say, unusual especially as "convention" was followed at other locations. The reason for this unusual arrangement may well be lost in the mist of time, but I wonder if there were, at the time, some sighting issues with these signals that may have been compounded if placed under the stop arms?

I can see a logic of the arrangement at Beverley Road as it clearly separates - to the appropriate side of the splitting Home Signal the splitting distants for Sculcoates Goods and sighting might well have been a further issue in order to keep the arms of the splitting Home as low as practicable.  Was sighting an issue for Howden I wonder?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Ian, I have only come across one other application of a "Seperate Distant" this was a c1907 Scotish installation.

It has some similarity to controlled distants on the GWR sometimes used where section were very short in that the first distant a train reached was worked by the rearmost 'box of the two but could only clear when the more advanced 'box cleared  his distant.  That applied at Twyford in the Down direction with east 'box's distants being controlled by West 'box but it didn't apply in the Up direction.  The were stretches of controlled distants extending over two or three block sections on the Main lines at Slough.  However in the GWR situation there was normally an 'ordinary' Inner distant for the more advanced 'box even if it was well under braking distance from the Home signal   (e.g Twyford west on the Down Lines).

There were situations on the Western where a single distant applied to two successive 'boxes  with a short block section between them although they were Fixed At Caution (e.g Crewe Jcn and Severn Bridge Jcn at Shrewsbury) [There might at one time have been worked distants of this sort as well.]

The Western Block Regulations also allowed for short sections and the outermost distant being kept at Caution in Regulation 4A 'Line Clear To Clearing Point Only' .  Although this was taken out of the book in the 1980s it was still subsequently used in Signalbox Special Instructions as I found when I visited the Shrewsbury 'boxes in 1993.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, regarding those seperate distant signals, one that seems to have been overlooked is this example at Market Weighton. It was the down distant for the Driffield line at Market Weighton East Junction. Clearly there was a sighting issue here.

The photo’ is by ricsrailpics on Flickr, from the 6th March, 1965. 

4624089807_82ffed5233_4k.jpgNo.3442 'The Great Marquess' in Market Weighton station. 6 March 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Ian, have you yet discovered the error on the Springbank North drawing?

Hi Mick, 

No, sorry not yet. Got side tracked yesterday with one thing and another, and finishing off some decorating today (just having a coffee break at the moment). Will have a look later this afternoon hopefully. 

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Michael Delamar said:

Alan Walker shots of Class 14s at Featherstone. Working from Healey Mills to Hull. The shot with the class 37 he says they were all working.

Click on each one for the Flickr page.

A rare trio!

Paxman Portal

Teddy bears picnic?

Excellent pictures,  I wonder where else they got to. Obviously with a pair it requires two drivers but if a they got to Healey mills makes me wonder if they ever got to york or Doncaster as Hull men would have signed these locations. 

Always surprised me they never fitted 14s with multiple working equipment.  Not sure if they had a mechanical throttle but other classes with that have had it fitted 03/04 and 13 being basically 2x08