Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Russ, indeed scary, the wife and I are the same vintage as the couple in the photo', we celebrate our Golden Wedding this coming Saturday. Time fly's etc.

Congratulations to you both Mick

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, micknich2003 said:

Russ, indeed scary, the wife and I are the same vintage as the couple in the photo', we celebrate our Golden Wedding this coming Saturday. Time fly's etc.

Good morning, Mick. I just want to congratulate you upon your Golden Wedding this coming Saturday. I hope you’ll have a great day.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good morning, Mick. I just want to congratulate you upon your Golden Wedding this coming Saturday. I hope you’ll have a great day.

Best regards,

Rob.

Hi Mick,

Congratulations, hope you and the missus get to manage some sort of celebration with the rest of the family, you'll need a big garden!!

Hopefully see you sometime later in the year,

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Market65 said:

I’ve just come across this poster advertising the Hull to Scarborough line in the late sixties from David Scott on Flickr.

13471878124_0cc6af2397_5k.jpgOriginal 1960s Poster advertising Hull-Scarborough line. by David Scott, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

The back unit looks to be either blue or GFYE you would have thought they would have had  that on the poster 

• RMweb Gold

Well, everyone, this evening I have a photo’ by jsb303 on Flickr of a G5 propelled pull and push train, (ex - NER  carriages) at Sugar Loaf Tunnel, on the former H&BR. It was taken in March,1955.  The service was Hull to South Howden.

14061623865_9930bdfddc_b.jpgHull & Barnsley Railway: Sugar Loaf Tunnel. 1955. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon, everyone. This afternoon I have a photo’ which is a little bit different. It’s by Syd Young on Flickr, and is from the 17th August, 1984. It shows a view through the cab of a Derby class 108 DMU, at Cottingham Snuff Mill Lane crossing of a small herd of cows on the line. The man who can be seen trying to get them off the line is, according to the caption, the guard. 

13443132214_2e627dcc35_b.jpgThe Wrong Sort of Cows by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Tonight, I have a photo’, by ricsrailpics on Flickr, of a Stanier Black Five, leaving for Birmingham, number 44891, on the 17th August, 1963. At least two Gresley corridor carriages are part of the formation.

5804323072_7213865732_4k.jpgClass 5MT no.44891 leaving Bridlington for Birmingham. 17 August 1963 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening I have an undated photo’, by ricsrailpics on Flickr, of a class B1, 61158, on a working to Doncaster. I think I’ll take a guess at 1963 for the year, but if anyone has anymore information it would be interesting to see what we are seeing in the photo’.

3144012779_e125a0db98_4k.jpgClass B1 no. 61158. Bridlington on Doncaster working. by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

On 07/07/2020 at 22:46, Market65 said:

Tonight, I have a photo’, by ricsrailpics on Flickr, of a Stanier Black Five, leaving for Birmingham, number 44891, on the 17th August, 1963. At least two Gresley corridor carriages are part of the formation.

5804323072_7213865732_4k.jpgClass 5MT no.44891 leaving Bridlington for Birmingham. 17 August 1963 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Seeing this photograph and several more similar photos, of weekend excursion trains, reminded me of something which I wrote, for a competition, several years ago. I was fortunate enough to win that competition with this; simply called Yesteryear Sundays.

Remember those days when the railways were fun,

When we boarded a train for a day in the sun.

Weekend excursions, seven shillings and three,

To Bridlington, Scarborough or Saltburn on Sea.

Remember the trains with their coaches so old.

Faded upholstery in crimson and gold.

Water colour pictures just under the rack,

Of places of interest to see by the track.

Remember compartments, four to a row,

Squashed in the corner with nowhere to go.

Smells of old pipe smoke, brylcream and fur.

Just open the window to let in the air.

Remember the sound of the train on the track,

That metronome rhythm of clickety-clack.

How fast are we going, let's see while we wait.

Is it sixty we divide by; perhaps eighty eight.

Remember the thrill as we first saw the sea,

Just a dark strip of blue through a gap in the trees.

The trains slowing down now, soon we'll be there.

We can just smell the sea and the salt on the air.

Remember the thrill as we walked from the station,

A wave to the driver in smiled admiration.

Excitement just building as we walked to the sand

with a red plastic bucket and spade in out hands.

Remember the fuss as we staked out the beach,

For a place where the toilets were easy to reach.

Wooden striped deckchairs, hired for the day.

How do you erect them; just show me the way.

Remember the paddle in a grey, freezing sea

Dad with his trousers rolled up to the knee.

Like some ancient king, be still he decreed,

Then turned and ran back as the sea paid no heed.

Remember the castles we built out of sand,

Topped by a flag of some British land.

Staunchly they stood there for most of the day,

Till the sea would sweep in and wash them away.

Remember the time to go home, all too soon,

As the warm summer sun gave way to the moon,

They'll sleep on the train, all that sea air and foam,

Not a peep out of them till the train reaches home.

So remember those days when the railways were fun,

Days by the sea neath the warm summer sun.

Yesteryear Sundays; we'll not see them again,

A day by the sea and a ride on the train.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by Mike Megginson
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 30/06/2020 at 22:37, Market65 said:

I’ve just come across this poster advertising the Hull to Scarborough line in the late sixties from David Scott on Flickr.

13471878124_0cc6af2397_5k.jpgOriginal 1960s Poster advertising Hull-Scarborough line. by David Scott, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Rattling along with all the seats  plus a smell of diesel wafting through the loose windows all accompanied by an awful row of the engines.Dont think a Cravens unit was never progress!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lmsforever said:

Rattling along with all the seats  plus a smell of diesel wafting through the loose windows all accompanied by an awful row of the engines.Dont think a Cravens unit was never progress!

Absolutely; they were just bl--dy awful!!

But then along came the Pacers and they marked an even lower point in comfort, ride quality, etc and still do.

Cheers

Mike#

• Funny 1

Amazing how many people think Cravens had loose windows, far from it. They vibrated due to harmonics, the trailer cars never vibrated. Cravens were among the best DMUs to work on, most thing you could get at easily.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Firstly, I wish to thank everyone for all the comments, especially the lovely poem, and then those Cravens DMU’s. Personally, I also found the trailer cars a very nice way to travel, which had a big toilet too.
Well, this evening, it’s more DMU’s, this time two refurbished Metro Cammell class 101’s at Nafferton, on a service to Bridlington, on the 18th August, 1980. Photo’ courtesy of Woolwinder on Flickr.

6847911079_5fed0cf083_k.jpgDMU Nafferton 18 August 1980 by Woolwinder, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good evening. This evening, I have a photo’, by ricsrailpics, on Flickr, of  Jubilee, 45694, Bellerophon, at one of the two Bridlington excursion platforms, on the 29th August, 1964. Note the headboard.

9772936773_43ff9e0c74_4k.jpgNo.45694 'Bellerophon'. Bridlington excursion platform. 29 August 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Well, tonight, I have a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, of a hybrid class 123 and class 124 DMU at Hull Paragon, on the 30th September, 1982. Leading the four car formation is class 124 DMC E51965, as it arrives at the station, and is followed by a class 123 TSL. 

9160107131_57f542e659_b.jpgParagon Trans-Pennine by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

Ive discovered a shot of Crofton West junction showing the now closed line to Crofton hall sidings In the centre distance in Modern Railways magazine September 1965. This area is proving difficult to find any shots of, Id like to see some of the triangle here and Crofton hall sidings, but so far its proving camera shy. This shot was by Eric Treacy.

5DBF6F67-3B36-4352-9917-2E1092B3A789.jpeg.0b5950cab93bc6d4ae4c873c8fd496ef.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good evening. This evening I have a photo’, by Syd Young on Flickr, from the 17th February, 1979, of Hull Paragon station, with a class 123 Inter City DMU in freezing cold, icy, snowy conditions. E52104 is the front carriage. It was to form a service to Manchester.

8665342164_3393e93444_b.jpgE52104 - Hull Paragon by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12