Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Brough Ranger said:

Some time ago, there was discussion around Royal Train visits to Hull. This snippet from the RAF Association magazine hints at an overnight stop by George VI near Willerby (Willoughby). Any detail to add to it?

0EE5ABC1-7B0D-4AE0-AC72-50623061DA00.jpeg

There was a Royal morale boosting visit in summer 1941 after the intense air raids of earlier in the year, possibly that's what is referred to. There is a YFA video on line that shows the King and Queen in Hull.

The royals also visited Holderness and the coast in 1940, but details are scant

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Simon, it was the practice to stable Royal Trains in the Up Loop at Kirkella Cutting.

Did that continue until the through route closed Mick ? My only experience from the 70s was stabling on the Barlow branch.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Andy, we are OK, and I hope same with you. Depending on how things go, next talk Station Hotel, end of of May.

We're all OK thanks Mick, fingers crossed for May, I'm sure you'll remind us nearer the time

• 5 weeks later...

Generations of signalmen carving their initials into the sandstone sills at Weaverthorpe SB between Malton and Seamer, unusual as most boxes in the area have cast iron sills rather than stone.  If people are good more photos of the area will follow.

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Stepney station, looking east 1960. Now my negative, bought off E Bay with copyright.

STEPNEY 1960 .jpg

I didn't realise square top colourlights were that old , but now I've mentioned it tees yard had a lot of them from the early sixties. 

Is that a miniature yellow sub? Recently gone extinct with Clacton resignalling along with searchlights i believe 

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Russ, the renewal was almost certainly done in summer 1959, a replacement for the original NERly LQ's, there was no UQ replacement. Of interest, though "MAS" the bracket is of standard "Plate and Angle" construction.

STEPNEY MAS Bracket..JPG

Cheers Mick

What happened with the plan having four aspect and the actual signal being a three aspect? 

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Russ, all "Short Sections" and relatively slow speed, in real terms "Double Yellow" would serve little purpose.

I did think that. Then you get the opposite at Norwich what we might refer to as outer homes in Old currency are three aspect but really should  be four 

2 minutes ago, russ p said:

I did think that. Then you get the opposite at Norwich what we might refer to as outer homes in Old currency are three aspect but really should  be four 

At the time of the installation, the majority of the Victoria Dock Branch traffic was lose coupled goods trains, average speed probably 15MPH.

• Informative/Useful 1