Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and Happy Easter. Well, after a hectic time, I’m back, and have a photo’ by ricsrailpics, on Flickr, of a BR class 5mt, 73141, passing Carnaby, on an excursion, unidentified, in July, 1967. Note the open guards door in the front Mk1 BSO.

2979799362_5804efc9ec_3k.jpgBR Class 5MT no.73141 passing Carnaby, south of Bridlington. July 1967 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone, and Happy Easter. Well, after a hectic time, I’m back, and have a photo’ by ricsrailpics, on Flickr, of a BR class 5mt, 73141, passing Carnaby, on an excursion, unidentified, in July, 1967. Note the open guards door in the front Mk1 BSO.

2979799362_5804efc9ec_3k.jpgBR Class 5MT no.73141 passing Carnaby, south of Bridlington. July 1967 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Excellent photo Rob,  obviously there must have been an operational water column at Brid at this late date

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Market65 said:

Best regards,

Rob.

That is actually the return Bridlington - Bradford service 1H92 / 1N92, exceptionally hauled on this date by Patricroft Caprotti fitted Standard 5 73141

Normally this was a Low Moor Black 5 job. The outward working 1H92 was one of the famous 0820 parallel departures from Bradford Exchange.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening. Well, russ p, there will have been at least one working crane left by that date, maybe at the old loco shed. Perhaps someone can give more details, and thank you, Simon Lee, for the full details of the train. Much appreciated.

So, this evening, I have another photo’, by ricsrailpics, on Flickr. This is of the now preserved class B1, 61306. Here it is seen in the yard at Bridlington, on the 21st, April, 1965. 

4678168191_03bf194f66_4k.jpgClass B1 no.61306. Bridlington Yard. 21 April 1965 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, I have a further photo’ by ricsrailpics, on Flickr, which is several years in the future from the previous two photo’s. It is of a class 20 departing from Bridlington in August, 1976, on the return of the pick up goods. I seem to recall it ran back at basically anytime from the late morning onwards. I think that depended on the amount of freight.

4289009748_069b7d3083_3k.jpgClass 20 leaving Bridlington. August 1976 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening I have another photo’ of BR Standard class 5, 73141, by ricsrailpics, on Flickr. This time it’s arriving in Bridlington on train 1H92. It’s on the 1st July, 1967. 

3196563568_5f741754c6_3k.jpgBR Class 5MT (Caprotti) 73141 Bridlington with SSO from Bradford. 1 July 1967 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert some words.
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Well, tonight I’m bringing things up to date with a photo’ which I took on Thursday afternoon of a class 170 at Beverley station. It shows 170459 on the 13.28 to Hull from Bridlington. 

ACD06CE8-C18E-4462-B035-9CFD23E3AAAC.jpeg.70bb37cd4790f5710623cecb37e1b0b2.jpeg

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, I have another photo’ by ricsrailpics, on Flickr, of Bridlington. It shows a class B1, 61087, departing the station, on the 4th September, 1964. No details of the train being worked are given.

5452808281_e22b5087d5_3k.jpgClass B1 no.61087 Bridlington. 4 September 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hello Rob,

You have discovered some great photos in the past few days. 

Just a few comments from what I remember from my mis spent youth.

I worked T66 the "Brid Goods" on a few occasions as a guard, if I remeber rightly we were 0620 off Hull New Yard, first stop Beverley, usually most of the days work was here, shunting Whiting traffic, domestic coal and sometimes vans of fertiliser. At that time Beverley had a Goods Senior Railman responsible for the yard, and he would also assist with shunting. On a good day and no traffic for Driffield or Bridlington, it would be a leisurely breakfast then back to Hull not too early but still a good "flyer" could be had.

If we had to complete the full duty and go to Bridlington, it would be all hands to the pump at Brid to get the shunting done and get away normally just after 1100, other wise we had the horror of running in our booked path home at around 1150 - 1200 !! It is rather sad now to stand in Tescos carpark or in the shop its self and remember what used to be. 

The photo of the WD with an SR Parcels van attached that must have been used for Christmas Parcels traffic, by the time I was working on the railway, the van would arrive as tail load traffic on a DMU from Paragon, if T66 was on hand our loco would shunt the van off, release the DMU, then place the van back in the bay platform, for unloading, and then return to Hull by DMU. Again this practice was mainly around Christmas time, for Mail Order traffic, and a few weeks in the high summer season, mainly with PLA (Passengers Luggage in Advance)

The B1 photo of 61087, is, I think the returning Doncaster - Bridlington train, there was a summer hoilday daily service Doncaster - Bridlington and return, mainly during school holidays, which also coincided with the Pit holidays. This was vitually a solid B1 turn, and 61087 was a Doncaster loco at the time of the photo.

Regards

Simon

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Simon, for those memories and the information from them. You’ve answered a question which has puzzled me for many years about the release of that van off the DMU. Please feel free to contribute more memories anytime you like.

Tonight, again from ricsrailpics, on Flickr, another photo’ of Bridlington. This is of a Stanier Black 5, 45133, at platform 2, on the 29th August, 1964. No other details are known.

3085992825_d84ef38be1_4k.jpgClass 5MT 45133. Bridlington. 29 August 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy once more of ricsrailpics, on Flickr, is this photo’ of a WD, 90704, entering Bridlington station from the goods yard, on the 26th October, 1964. 

5388097007_fc66e92a61_4k.jpgex-WD 2-8-0 no.90704 entering Bridlington station from goods yard. 26 October 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this is a further look at the above WD hauled train, courtesy of ricsrailpics, on Flickr. 90704, on the same day, is now departing Bridlington, on the morning goods to Beverley and Hull.

5388097491_fe80fd6199_3k.jpgex-WD 2-8-0 no.90704. Bridlington on Hull morning freight. 26 October 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

On 19/04/2021 at 22:44, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Well, this is a further look at the above WD hauled train, courtesy of ricsrailpics, on Flickr. 90704, on the same day, is now departing Bridlington, on the morning goods to Beverley and Hull.

5388097491_fe80fd6199_3k.jpgex-WD 2-8-0 no.90704. Bridlington on Hull morning freight. 26 October 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

The train is on the Up Excursion line. Trains would shunt back to run round in the excursion sidings before propelling back through platform 5 to the goods yard. Unusually, there were no signals for the move between the sidings and the goods yard entrance signal. In '64 there would have been 4 locations to shunt: the coal drops, the gas works at Quay Road, the warehouse (still standing today), and the goods yard as well as, possibly, another warehouse under the bridge behind the shed if it was still in use in '64.

The coal drops and gasworks closed in '73. The goods warehouse closed in '77 and the goods yard in '85. I saw the last goods train leave with 22 wagons behind a class 47. On leaving the station today, passengers can see the backside of Tesco which was built the wrong way round. It's one of several short term planning mistakes that are now taking millions to fix.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Back in late July in 1967 I was on a bus from Filey to Driffield to visit Driffield  Showground, passing through Bridlington I looked towards the station and saw a class 03 Diesel Shunter in one of the bay platforms.

My question is was a shunter outstationed at  Bridlington from Dairycoates for the summer season.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, and, waggy, although I cannot answer your question maybe someone else can.  This evening I have a photo’ by mick barnes, on Flickr, of a slightly unusual angle of the signals and box at Royal Oak South junction, in about 1975/76. There is no other information.

12031979754_73f44ecd78_k.jpgRoyal Oak South.   Hunmanby. by mick barnes, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

Hi Rob.

What a cracking photo of Royal Oak South,  what's  weird is I drove past this location yesterday evening after a day at the coast and pointed out to my other half that a lad I went to school with lived in one of the semi's  that backed onto the embankment near to the junction, thinking about it last night I remembered i went to his house circa 1968/69 and saw a Brush 4 on a day excursion to Scarborough.

Regards.

Graham

• Like 1

11 hours ago, waggy said:

Hi Rob.

What a cracking photo of Royal Oak South,  what's  weird is I drove past this location yesterday evening after a day at the coast and pointed out to my other half that a lad I went to school with lived in one of the semi's  that backed onto the embankment near to the junction, thinking about it last night I remembered i went to his house circa 1968/69 and saw a Brush 4 on a day excursion to Scarborough.

Regards.

Graham

I passed close to this location four times today, on the road into Hunmanby, driving the East Yorkshire number 12 bus. The 12 bus (and the Summer season 13) allow a view of the Holiday Camp Station from the upper deck, subject to how dense the foliage is on the surrounding trees.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, and, waggy, that is great. That lad would have seen so many of the excursion trains coming and going from the station. 
Well, EddieK, I recall, from cycle rides, a few years ago, when riding past the remains of the station, it was possible to see the platforms and old lamps. Clearly no redevelopment is happening as yet, that’s if it will be redeveloped in future times.

So, tonight, I have another photo’ from mick barnes, on Flickr, from c1975 giving a somewhat different view of the holiday camp railways. You can see the station signalbox and the two bracket signals controlling trains departing from the station.

12032050544_ceac10df90_k.jpgbutlins bridge.  hunmanby.    filey by mick barnes, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

That is seriously weird Mick.

I assume the tanks on the loco are part of condensing gear (I can see the return pipe from the smoke box) to avoid large amounts of exhaust steam so allowing enemy gunners to range on the loco.

Do you know what the two vertical cylinders in front of the loco tank were for?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

That is seriously weird Mick.

I assume the tanks on the loco are part of condensing gear (I can see the return pipe from the smoke box) to avoid large amounts of exhaust steam so allowing enemy gunners to range on the loco.

Do you know what the two vertical cylinders in front of the loco tank were for?

I think and may be wrong, the "Tanks" are actually plating around pumps or similar, I need to dig deeper.

23 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, and, waggy, that is great. That lad would have seen so many of the excursion trains coming and going from the station. 
Well, EddieK, I recall, from cycle rides, a few years ago, when riding past the remains of the station, it was possible to see the platforms and old lamps. Clearly no redevelopment is happening as yet, that’s if it will be redeveloped in future times.

So, tonight, I have another photo’ from mick barnes, on Flickr, from c1975 giving a somewhat different view of the holiday camp railways. You can see the station signalbox and the two bracket signals controlling trains departing from the station.

12032050544_ceac10df90_k.jpgbutlins bridge.  hunmanby.    filey by mick barnes, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Passed the site of that bridge a few times today. The right hand abutment has gone and the bank has been cut back a bit. Between the signals shown and the site of the station, a couple of wind turbines are located on the trackbed. I suspect the station itself has hardly changed since your cycle ride, but I suspect the trees and bushes around the site have grown a bit.