Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Pleased to see the box is still standing, even if it is out of use and boarded up.

It has been like that for getting on 20 years now.

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Pleased to see the box is still standing, even if it is out of use and boarded up.

Pretty sure it is a listed building, but nobody knows what to do with it!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Typical of our insane obsession with listing buildings. It is a fairly standard box of which, I think, there are still other examples out there.

As to use though, I am sure that there are railway enthusiasts who would happily use it as a holiday let (bedroom and bathroom downstairs, kitchen living room upstairs).

• RMweb Premium

I don't think there are so many of that particular type left now actually, although there would have been at the time it was listed.  Rigton and Horsforth on the Harrogate line come to mind but both knocked down a few years ago.  The NYMR's box at Grosmont Level Crossing is similar in style, although it is a new build.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1233349

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

11 hours ago, iands said:

It has been like that for getting on 20 years now.

Must be six or seven years since I was last at Howden, and felt sure it would have been demolished by now!  Didn't realise it was listed though.

11 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

As to use though, I am sure that there are railway enthusiasts who would happily use it as a holiday let (bedroom and bathroom downstairs, kitchen living room upstairs).

I suspect Network Rail would prevent such use as being too close to the railway, risk of injury if windows were opened, lack of ability to maintain the exterior rail side/clean windows etc.  It would have to be moved, which given the brick structure, probably makes such things too expensive unless a grant of some sort could be sought and obtained....

Rich

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

I suspect Network Rail would prevent such use as being too close to the railway, risk of injury if windows were opened, lack of ability to maintain the exterior rail side/clean windows etc.  It would have to be moved, which given the brick structure, probably makes such things too expensive unless a grant of some sort could be sought and obtained....

Rich

Well, that's their call. It does not look too difficult to me from that photo but I don't know the location. The alternative is large bills to maintain it in a fit state without any income. They certainly don't seem to be maintaining it in a fit state at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. I like the discussion about Howden box. I’ve wondered about it myself, including the box at Gilberdyke and Cave. What will happen to those two boxes? I know Cave is a former gatebox, but, hopefully, both can be saved. 

Well, tonight, I have a photo’ of Ferriby, by Richard Hart, on Flickr, from the summer of 1970, showing a class 110 DMU leaving. No other details are available.

8382905392_effc6fc72c_k.jpgFERRIBY by Richard Hart, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. I like the discussion about Howden box. I’ve wondered about it myself, including the box at Gilberdyke and Cave. What will happen to those two boxes? I know Cave is a former gatebox, but, hopefully, both can be saved. 

Well, tonight, I have a photo’ of Ferriby, by Richard Hart, on Flickr, from the summer of 1970, showing a class 110 DMU leaving. No other details are available.

Best regards,

Rob.

Great picture Rob , I didn't realise the slow lines were out of use as early as this 

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Well, that's their call. It does not look too difficult to me from that photo but I don't know the location. The alternative is large bills to maintain it in a fit state without any income. They certainly don't seem to be maintaining it in a fit state at the moment.

It is in "pretty good nick" considering the length of time it has been boarded up. Can't see it being used for anything in its current location, not even as a Pway out-post office (like Riccall South was for a time). 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Market65 said:

Best regards,

Rob.

Like the 2 blue and 1 green unit formation.

On 24/04/2021 at 23:45, Andy Hayter said:

I assume the tanks on the loco are part of condensing gear (I can see the return pipe from the smoke box) to avoid large amounts of exhaust steam so allowing enemy gunners to range on the loco.

Yes, as recounted by P. M. Kalla-Bishop in Locomotives at War, p 32. WD 180 and 197 were tried on the Martin Mill Military Railway but found to be incapable of shifting the 320 tons of gun (13.5") and ammunition wagon up some of the gradients. Normal power was one of the Armstrong Whitworth 0-6-0 diesel shunters.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2021 at 22:59, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening I have a photo’ by ricsrailpics, on Flickr, of Bridlington in August, 1976, with a four car class 104 DMU departing for Hull.

4289594623_57101065ec_b.jpgdmu leaving Bridlington for Hull. August 1976 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Nice to see a proper 4 car set Rob , can't have been many around by that time

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Firstly, russ p, I seem to recall quite a few four car 104’s in use on the Hull to Scarborough line until about 1980 when the numbers reduced quite a lot. I know some sets went to East Anglia, and some to Scotland. But being unrefurbished, they were, of course, withdrawn early. 
Well, tonight I have another photo’ by ricsrailpics on Flickr, and it is a portrait shot of B16/3, 61463, at Bridlington, on the 16th August, 1963.

4175405500_c9cdf6a480_4k.jpgClass B16/3 no.61463. Bridlington. 16 August 1963 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was passing through Foggathorpe and wondered what was left of the station. Well, it seems not much. 

There are other images but they're too big according to RMWeb. :(

This is  looking toward Bubwith along what was once the trackbed...

steve

IMG_1765.JPG

Edited by steve1
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...

Cliffe station as was. I am baffled that Wressle, which is tiny, has an operating station, whereas Clffe is much bigger, and has had substantial development recently, doesn't. 

steve

IMG_1908.JPG

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

Steve. 

The station at Cliffe was actually named Hemingbrough, probably to avoid confusion with Cliffe Common or possibly because Hemingbrough was a bigger village , there are some photographs of the station on Ebay  looking at them it would seem that it was in fact a small station

Regards 
Graham

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, waggy said:

Steve. 

The station at Cliffe was actually named Hemingbrough, probably to avoid confusion with Cliffe Common or possibly because Hemingbrough was a bigger village , there are some photographs of the station on Ebay  looking at them it would seem that it was in fact a small station

Regards 
Graham

Thanks Graham. Typical railway though. Hemingbrough is some miles away and nowhere near the line but the building is slap bang in the middle of Cliffe!

steve

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

August 1965, Mr Draper's Knackers Yard.

44263 Sculcoates. 22 August 1965. .jpg

Some memories there Mick, I remember the excitement when the 4Fs were dragged past our house, the first ones l had seen and the first locos with the cab side stripe, previously only seen in photos in my brothers Railway Magazine.