Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to a photo’ by fishermandave89, on Flickr, we go to Buckton, between Bridlington and Filey, back in July, 1979 - most probably a Saturday. We see a seven car DMU climbing the hill to Speeton Summit, with it’s exhausts rasping away. It is formed of a three car Metro Cammell class 111, with RollsRoyce engines, and a four car class 108 Derby Lightweight refurbished set, on it’s way to Scarborough from Hull.

buckton crossing hull to scarborough line

Best regards,

Rob.

Great memories there Rob, Saturday mornings a few years earlier at Walton Street or Woodgates Lane the 110 and 111 dmus  from the West Riding  were always eagerly awaited inbetween the loco hauled trains on and off the branch.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. I’m glad that yesterday’s photo’ helped to bring some memories back, Simon Lee.

Now for this evening, we have a photo’ by robertcwp, on Flickr, of Hornsea Town station on the 10th September, 1959, at the end of a long, hot summer, and a train of Cravens class 105 DMU’s can be seen, awaiting departure for Hull, in the bright September sunshine.

51409183509_b08bb0d674_b.jpg105_Hornsea_10-9-59 by robertcwp, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening time for a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, of Deltic, 55014, The Duke Of Wellington’s Regiment, departing from Hull Paragon station with train 1D62, the 21.00 to Doncaster, on the 14th June, 1980.

6209996827_ff501331f1_b.jpgThe Duke Departs by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening we are back in Hull thanks to a photo’ by Paul Smith on Flickr. It shows 45069, hauling 31467, which had failed, on a Lancaster to Hull train on the 22nd July, 1985. It is passing Selby Street on the final bit of the journey.

45069+31467Lancaster-hull22jul85

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening, thanks to another photo’ from Paul Smith on Flickr, we can see a short empty tank train leaving Botanic Gardens as it runs along the Bridlington branch before going onto the former H&BR high level line. The locomotive is 31436, and the date is 14th June, 1985.

31436BGjun141985

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

14 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening, thanks to another photo’ from Paul Smith on Flickr, we can see a short empty tank train leaving Botanic Gardens as it runs along the Bridlington branch before going onto the former H&BR high level line. The locomotive is 31436, and the date is 14th June, 1985.

31436BGjun141985

Best regards,

Rob.

Thats me Rob! Keep em coming love seeing my memories. 

Apart from the changes to track and stock what is disappointing is the trackside growth and loss of some of the great views over the years.

Regards Paul

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, Paul, that’s great, and I see you have a few more photo’s on Flickr, so this evening, I have this one from you, Paul Smith, on Flickr, which shows a class 31 on a Manchester to Hull service which shows a short four carriage rake of early Mkll’s. The locomotive is 31119, with the date the 1st June, 1985, four days before my Mother’s birthday.

31119manpic-hulljun185

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, for this evening, we stay in Hull, and thanks to another photo’ by Paul Smith on Flickr, of a class 47, 47575, departing from Hull Paragon station on the 10.54 to Cardiff on Sunday the 26th May, 1985. 

47575sun1054hull-cardiffmay261985

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening I have, courtesy of fishermandave89, on Flickr, three old photo’s of Bridlington which show the roof being demolished from over platforms one and two, in about 1960 I think it was, and then, the third photo’ is a complete mystery, but looks like a water main, or something, is being put in right across the railway. No date for it or any other information unfortunately. But these photo’s certainly help to flesh out the history of Bridlington station.

overhead roof bridlington houses now built here

station approach bridlington

track work at bridlington

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

Really enjoying this topic. I grew up around Hull, Holme on Spalding Moor and Patrington before moving to the East Midlands in 1986. Would love to see any photos of the stations and Patrington and Holme on Spalding Moor if anyone has any? 
Regards, 

Bill. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Mick, for posting those excellent photo’s of Patrington. They are full of interest and an excellent addition to this thread.

Well, this evening, I have another photo’ by fishermandave89, on Flickr, of Bridlington. This is much more up to date, with a view from the 28th May, 1990. It shows a HST, with class 43 power car leading, number 43048, on an up service to Hull.

hst bridlington 28/5/1990

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To display the photo correctly.
  • Like 12

On 08/12/2021 at 07:52, DOCJACOB said:

Clearly see the excursion platform has been renamed by this time.

As I recall previously the preserve of migrants and those immigrating to the west 

Brilliant photos, I'm sure I recall the ticket hall features still being there as a young child travelling in the late 60s

Edited by Willerby Halt

• RMweb Gold

We seem to be back, so to this evening’s photo’, which takes us back to Hull, thanks to Syd Young, on Flickr. It shows a class 08, 08061, in Hull Paragon station on the 19th October,1983, and it is shunting a couple of BGs in platform 9 - I think it was back then. 

5315963613_fe424f1e5d_b.jpg08061 - Hull Paragon by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To change a number.
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, we stay in Hull with those 08’s, thanks to another photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr. This shows that 08 shunter which was at Hull for the whole of it’s career. It is 08777, seen with the short-lived "Paragon Pilot" headboard, dragging  a dead 31443 out of the station on the 14th August, 1985.

5370416233_d4975eab78_b.jpgParagon Pilot by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening, courtesy of a photo’ by dubdee, on Flickr, we go back in time to the 28th September, 1974, and Filey. We see LNER 4472, Flying Scotsman, reversing back through to Scarborough, having turned on the triangle, so it will then be ready for the return working of the ‘Northern Gas Newcastle Festival Special’.

28-09-74 4472 runs through Filey

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

On 12/12/2021 at 20:40, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, Mick, for posting those excellent photo’s of Patrington. They are full of interest and an excellent addition to this thread.

Well, this evening, I have another photo’ by fishermandave89, on Flickr, of Bridlington. This is much more up to date, with a view from the 28th May, 1990. It shows a HST, with class 43 power car leading, number 43048, on an up service to Hull.

hst bridlington 28/5/1990

Best regards,

Rob.

43048 was a regular visitor to Hull right up to the very end of HST usage as part of the 07.00 M-F Hull Executive service. One of the East Midlands liveried power units with the nice sounding VP185s. Less messed about with than the usual LNER examples. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to a photo’ by fishermandave89, on Flickr, we go north to Buckton Lane level crossing, in July, 1979. It is a view of class 40, 40050. This could be train 2L53, the 10.28 from Hull to Scarborough, which was a locomotive hauled train from Saturday the 26th May to Saturday the 15th September, that year. The load allowed was D280.  Please note the lack of a BR double arrow.

buckton crossing nr bridlington july 1979

Best regards, 

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening, thanks to another photo’ by fishermandave, on Flickr, we go north of Bridlington in that cutting which has three bridges taking roads across the railway. We can see two class 31’s on a charter train, with 31250 leading, the details of which are  not recorded. The date is the 3rd September, 1994.

north of bridlington 3 september 1994

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert the leading loco details.
  • Like 7