Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening, thanks to a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, we can see an undated view of a class 124 TransPennine unit coming into Hull from Liverpool. Do notice the giant 8 in the four character headcode box - perhaps it was a substitute?

509254170_0b8818a9c6_c.jpgTrans-Pennine on way to Paragon by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening, thanks to a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, we can see an undated view of a class 124 TransPennine unit coming into Hull from Liverpool. Do notice the giant 8 in the four character headcode box - perhaps it was a substitute?

509254170_0b8818a9c6_c.jpgTrans-Pennine on way to Paragon by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Evening Rob,  I knew the two character southern headcodes were smaller digits but didn't realise there were variations in the four character ones

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. That’s interesting to learn about that 8 in that headcode box. Thank you, russ p, and EddieK for replying to the question I posed about it yesterday. Well, this evening it’s smokey Deltic time, thanks to a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr. This shows 55005, The Prince Of Wales’s Own Regiment Of Yorkshire, leaving on the 09.35 to London King’s Cross, in June, 1979. A most smoke laden departure. 

3900078140_8f6b5567b9_b.jpgNot a 9 Goal Thriller by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, on this New Year’s Eve, I have a further photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr. This is at Hull Paragon station, and shows two classic diesel locomotives, a 31 and a 55. The 55 is 55003, Meld, after having arrived with The Hull Executive, whilst 31207 is waiting departure time with the 21.30 Hull to Leeds service on the 15th May, 1979.

3890402843_78896d6b8e_k.jpgBrushed Meld by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year, everyone. I hope you have all had a great time, and that this year will be healthy and prosperous for everyone. 
Well, this evening, we stay in Hull, thanks to a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, and see a couple of class 20’s, with 20022, at Hessle Road, about to go on the high level line via Boothferry Park. The photo’ is undated.

202365709_b4a8ba3884_b.jpg20022_Hull_78xxxx by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Happy New Year, everyone. I hope you have all had a great time, and that this year will be healthy and prosperous for everyone. 
Well, this evening, we stay in Hull, thanks to a photo’ by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr, and see a couple of class 20’s, with 20022, at Hessle Road, about to go on the high level line via Boothferry Park. The photo’ is undated.

202365709_b4a8ba3884_b.jpg20022_Hull_78xxxx by JohnGreyTurner, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Cheers Rob Happy new year to you and all on here

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone, and thank you, russ p, and David, for the new year greetings and good wishes. I hope you’ll both have a prosperous new year. Well, this evening I’ve found a photo’, by Jeremy Chapter, on Flickr, of a 4 car class 104 BRCW DMU, on the 15.48 to Scarborough, with the driver clearly making preparations in the cab, whilst at the adjacent platform 5 is a 2 car Cravens, class 105 DMU, with a former Scottish DTCL , E56471. The date is the 12th September, 1975.

British Rail diesel units at Hull in 1975 (#40)

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

Happy New Year!

The image of Hull is rather topical as exactly 41 years ago, my late father took me to Hull on the train from KX, with HST to Doncaster and Class 101 onwards to Hull. Later in the day, we travelled across to Manchester, though were disappointed not to have a Class 124 unit, having to make do with a 4 car Class 111. 

• Like 2

According to the railcar website, Botanic Gardens had an allocation of Class 104 quad sets at the time of the image, but in October 1975 most were transferred away, with the last few vehicles going early in 1976. 

Question: did these Class 104 quads still appear on the Hull - Scarborough line after the allocated sets left BG? 

On 19/09/2015 at 21:45, micknich2003 said:

Beverley Cherry Tree general view 1980.

post-702-0-57612200-1442695486_thumb.jpg

Just having a look back through older items in this thread and when I saw this image I became curious as to what was in the sheeted open wagons on the right....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Eddie, the wagons were loaded with chalk and then sent to Scotland, often on a daily basis.

Mick, is this the traffic that also utilised the former "Hybar Ferry" wagons?

18 hours ago, EddieK said:

According to the railcar website, Botanic Gardens had an allocation of Class 104 quad sets at the time of the image, but in October 1975 most were transferred away, with the last few vehicles going early in 1976. 

Question: did these Class 104 quads still appear on the Hull - Scarborough line after the allocated sets left BG? 

Eddie, the Birmingham's still made the odd appearance up the branch as Neville Hill still had a few allocated after Botanic lost it's late 75 (most went to Norwich in exchange for Met-Camms).

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. I can confirm that the 104 Quads still made an occasional appearance on services on the line to Scarborough up until about 1980, for I recall journey’s on them until that year.

Well, this evening, thanks to a photo’ from robertcwp, on Flickr, we go to Scarborough and see a 2 car Cravens unit departing for Hull - there’s no date, but it will be about the mid ‘70’s. Of course, all has changed with the signals all gone, the track layout is much simplified, and the 105’s are no more, apart from 3 preserved cars.

40295759343_9246993f28_b.jpg105_Falsgrave by robertcwp, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, for this evening, we go to Driffield, on the 5th June, 1976, and see a class 40, the very first one, no less, 40122/D200, which is now preserved in the national collection. The photo’ is courtesy of the KDH archive, on Flickr. It is working the SO King’s Cross to Scarborough service, and the carriages visible are Mkl’s.

76 032 050676 Driffield Class 40122

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
The include additional information.
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, we go to Melton Lane, and see 37076, on train 4L64, the Hull to Stourton Freightliner, on the 9th July, 1986. The train was held at signals whilst waiting for 4468 Mallard to go by on a working of The Scarborough Spa Express from Scarborough to Bridlington, Hull, Selby and York - it’s first run after restoration.

50923038707_d105af313a_k.jpgHeld for a Duck by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to The KDH archive, on Flickr, we go to Bridlington, on the 14th June, 1975, a Saturday, and see an 8 car DMU entering the station, on a Leeds to Filey Holiday Camp service, train 2L57. I know the blind reads Bridlington, but that, presumably, is wrong. The first four cars are a class 110, strengthened with a class 104 TSL, and the rear 4 cars an NER quad 104. Please note the empty coal drops.

75 042 140675 Brid

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, thanks to a photo’ by George Woods, on Flickr, we go to one of the extremities of old East Yorkshire to see a WD Austerity 2-8-0 hauling a passenger train at Goole. It’s actually a railtour from the 8th October, 1966, to do with the last of the Crabs to be in service on BR. The Austerity is 90076, and railtour was run by the LCGB. The other unusual thing was the cleanliness of the engine….

6995688886_b6d416eab9_h.jpg145 90076 Goole 8.10.66 by George Woods, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening, courtesy of a photo’ by SIMON BEESTON on Flickr, we are at Beverley with a class 47, 47280, on an engineering train. The date is not certain, but it’s probably April, 1987. The empty foreground, where the goods sidings used to be bare out a later date than the early 1980’s.

BEVERLEY 120487 47280

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening I have a photo’ by hydey44, on Flickr, of a Thompson 01 2-8-0, in Hull Dairycoates shed, in the sixties. It is 63768, and the date is the 27th October, 1963.

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13