Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, EddieK, and 45125, for filling in some details about yesterday’s photo’. It’s most informative, and I’m just hoping that Gateway to Scarborough will not cause too much disruption etc.,

Well, this evening, we go through Malton to York for a short journey on the Derwent Valley Light Railway. It’s a photo’ by jsb303, on Flickr, and is from c1960, at Layerthorpe. It shows an ex LNER J25, 65714, as seen from the Melrosegate Bridge. All gone now. 

12267872344_d72eea8586_b.jpgYork: DVLR. Layerthorpe. 1960. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Perhaps worth mentioning that the railway and power pylon have gone, but Melrosegate Bridge still remains.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, EddieK, and 45125, for filling in some details about yesterday’s photo’. It’s most informative, and I’m just hoping that Gateway to Scarborough will not cause too much disruption etc.,

Well, this evening, we go through Malton to York for a short journey on the Derwent Valley Light Railway. It’s a photo’ by jsb303, on Flickr, and is from c1960, at Layerthorpe. It shows an ex LNER J25, 65714, as seen from the Melrosegate Bridge. All gone now. 

12267872344_d72eea8586_b.jpgYork: DVLR. Layerthorpe. 1960. by jsb303, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Thank you. I wonder what the penultimate vehicle in the train is.

A Brake Van with top lookout and side duckets?

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Thank you. I wonder what the penultimate vehicle in the train is.

A Brake Van with top lookout and side duckets?

Yes, it's the DVLR brake van. 

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, iands said:

Yes, it's the DVLR brake van. 

Not sure a vehicle should be coupled behind it on an unfitted train

In the summer I spent a lot of time working out of York and had a walk round the site of layerthorpe completely unrecognisable from the time of the railway 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Thank you. I don't know much about the DVLR.

Do you know the provenance of the Brake Van?

I don't know off hand, but I do have a couple of books on the DVLR which I'm sure will have the details. I'll dig them out and post any details a bit later. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, drmditch said:

Thank you. I don't know much about the DVLR.

Do you know the provenance of the Brake Van?

Further to my last post, the brake van is an ex-SECR Six-wheel brake van, purchased by the DVLR in 1946. Apparently its last duties on the Southern was as a cleansing van for the Air Raid Precautions and based at Bricklayer's Arms loco department (source: Rails Along The Derwent. The story of the Derwent Valley Light Railway by Jonathan D Stockwell and Ian Drummond. Holne Publishing. ISBN 978-09563317-6-2) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, iands said:

Further to my last post, the brake van is an ex-SECR Six-wheel brake van, purchased by the DVLR in 1946. Apparently its last duties on the Southern was as a cleansing van for the Air Raid Precautions and based at Bricklayer's Arms loco department (source: Rails Along The Derwent. The story of the Derwent Valley Light Railway by Jonathan D Stockwell and Ian Drummond. Holne Publishing. ISBN 978-09563317-6-2) 

Interesting. Thank you. I knew it couldn't be an ex-NER Dia.V3 six wheel van with top lookout - although it would be lovely if one of those still existed somewhere!

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. That’s absolutely fascinating about that DVLR brake van - I thought it was SECR in origin.

Well, this evening, we are going to Ferriby, on the mainline out of Hull, and thanks, again, to John Law on Flickr, back in time to c1947. We see an LNER, ex NER class B14 (I think), number 810, on a Hull bound freight train.

50950093947_41daf7f53b_h.jpghumb - lner 810 passing through ferriby by John Law, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. That’s absolutely fascinating about that DVLR brake van - I thought it was SECR in origin.

Well, this evening, we are going to Ferriby, on the mainline out of Hull, and thanks, again, to John Law on Flickr, back in time to c1947. We see an LNER, ex NER class B14 (I think), number 810, on a Hull bound freight train.

50950093947_41daf7f53b_h.jpghumb - lner 810 passing through ferriby by John Law, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Assuming 1947 is the correct year the absence of any visible PO or company lettering on the wagons is noticeable. Is that general coal dust filth, wartime black over paint or?  One of those shots that from time to time makes you rethink assumptions.

Edited by john new
Typo correction

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, john new said:

Assuming 1947 is the correct year the absence of any visible PO or company lettering on the wagons is noticeable. Is that general coal dust filth, wartime black over paint or?  One of those shots that from time to time makes you rethink assumptions.

I wouldn't try and draw any conclusions on the basis of that photograph. The way the light is hitting the train has resulted in everything in the same plane as the loco cab and tender being overexposed. That plus the filth make it impossible to be sure what was on the wagons.

The three quarter view also has a tendency to obscure surface detail.  Take this 1949 photo of B7 61705 at Sheffield Victoria from the Mike Morant collection (as shown on the LNER Encyclopedia site):

b7.jpg

you'd think the B7's tender was blank/solid grime, but other side on views from the same period show a surprisingly clear LNER on the tender side, and the contrast/exposure balance is rather better than the Ferriby B15 photo.

Regards

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Best regards,

Rob.

BB15 I think.

• RMweb Gold
On 04/11/2021 at 22:32, 65179 said:

I wouldn't try and draw any conclusions on the basis of that photograph. The way the light is hitting the train has resulted in everything in the same plane as the loco cab and tender being overexposed. That plus the filth make it impossible to be sure what was on the wagons.

The three quarter view also has a tendency to obscure surface detail.  Take this 1949 photo of B7 61705 at Sheffield Victoria from the Mike Morant collection (as shown on the LNER Encyclopedia site):

b7.jpg

You'd think the tender was blank/solid grime, but other side on views from the same period show a surprisingly clear LNER on the tender side, and the contrast/exposure balance is rather better than the Ferriby B15 photo.

Regards

Simon

I have copy/pasted the image into Photoshop. Cruel manipulation using curves identifies that the loco appears to be lettered NE on the tender and numbered as 318/9 or 818/9.  I think 818 or 819 is the number as the last of the B15 class was 825. Despite the exercise identifying the lettering on the loco nothing visible on the wagons.

Not posting the full adjusted image (as not my copyright so posting inappropriate) but the cabside/tender extract is:-

NER cabside RMweb copy.jpg

Hope above helps.

Edited by john new
Image(s) reloaded post site crash!
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, john new said:

I have copy/pasted the image into Photoshop. Cruel manipulation using curves identifies that the loco appears to be lettered NE on the tender and numbered as 318/9 or 818/9.  I think 818 or 819 is the number as the last of the B15 class was 825. Despite the exercise identifying the lettering on the loco nothing visible on the wagons.

Not posting the full adjusted image (as not my copyright so posting inappropriate) but the cabside/tender extract is:-

NER cabside RMweb copy.jpg

Hope above helps.

I'm also seeing 819 on the bufferbeam.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, drmditch, and john new for the correction about the class of locomotive in yesterday’s photo’, and the detective work in finding out it’s actual number. So that is class B15, 819.

So, this evening, courtesy of trainsofhull, on Flickr, we go back to Saturday, the 3rd May, 1980, and we take a look at Hull Paragon station. It is very busy owing to the rugby league Challenge Cup final at Wembley. Many extra trains were arranged for fans to travel to London for Wembley, and several can be seen in the photo’.

49843014041_978603c68b_k.jpgHull Paragon 03-05-1980 by trainsofhull, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Thank you, drmditch, and john new for the correction about the class of locomotive in yesterday’s photo’, and the detective work in finding out it’s actual number. So that is class B15, 819.

So, this evening, courtesy of trainsofhull, on Flickr, we go back to Saturday, the 3rd May, 1980, and we take a look at Hull Paragon station. It is very busy owing to the rugby league Challenge Cup final at Wembley. Many extra trains were arranged for fans to travel to London for Wembley, and several can be seen in the photo’.

49843014041_978603c68b_k.jpgHull Paragon 03-05-1980 by trainsofhull, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Also of interest in this image is the yellow articulated BR works vehicle. A Bedford cab unit? Don't recall seeing an example like it before.

steve

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, steve1 said:

Also of interest in this image is the yellow articulated BR works vehicle. A Bedford cab unit? Don't recall seeing an example like it before.

Looks like a rigid wheelbase to me....

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Thank you for the details of that crewbus, and for the card games that would be played in them. 
Well, this evening, thanks to a photo’ by Patrick Welsh, on Flickr, we see a class 45, 45129, and a train of Mk1’s coming off the Cricket Ground curve of one of the Saturday’s only, Scarborough to Leicester trains, on the 5th July, 1986.

8435985692_4767139db2_h.jpg45129 by Patrick  Welsh, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
To insert extra information.
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, courtesy of a photo’ by Syd Young on Flickr, we are in Hull Paragon station, and it’s time for a Deltic, class 55, to depart for Doncaster, at 21.00. It’s 55016, Gordon Highlander. Train headcode 1D62, and it is the 25th April, 1980.

8573153858_e5049c2dbe_b.jpgNight Train to Doncaster by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening I have a photo’ courtesy of David Scott, on Flickr, of Southern 777 Sir Lamiel, at Hull Paragon, on the 4th September, 1982. There are plenty of other trains to see, and in the background some East Yorkshire buses. It was earlier that year that Sir Lamiel was out on a test run to Bridlington and set some of the lineside on fire. I posted a photo’ from that day earlier on in this thread.

7651772246_16b70a5113_h.jpg777 Coupling up prior to taking out an excursion on 4th Sep 1982, with plenty of variety on show at Hull Paragon. by David Scott, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening I have a photo’ by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr, of a large logo class 37, 37402, on the 21st December, 2019, on train 5Z50, the 13.11 Beverley to Dairycoates, at Hull Dairycoates. I’m not sure of the origin of the train prior to Beverley.

49764427723_fe4abe1c82_h.jpg37402 by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. Well, this evening I have a photo’ by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr, of a large logo class 37, 37402, on the 21st December, 2019, on train 5Z50, the 13.11 Beverley to Dairycoates, at Hull Dairycoates. I’m not sure of the origin of the train prior to Beverley.

37402 by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

According to the Six Bells Junction web site, it was UK Railtours "Beverley at Christmas" trip from King's Cross to Beverley.  After arrival at Beverley, the empty stock went from Beverley to Dairycoates, and returned from there in time to form the return working to King's Cross.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1