Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Thank you, PinzaC55. What excellent photo's of Huttons Ambo. 1978, it only seems like yesterday, and yet 37 years have gone by! That weighbridge would make a great model.

With regards,

Rob.

Yes lol the Bee Gees and Boney M were the mainstays of the charts ! I have a photo of the station circa 1925 and it would make superb model.

Hello, everyone. And thank you for your contributions, especially PinzaC55 for the photo' and signalling diagram of Ganton, which a few years ago I cycled through as part of a cycle tour to the North York Moors and back.

Tonight we are looking at the former signal box at Warthill on the one time railway to Market Weighton from York. The photo' was taken in mid-August of this year, and shows that the box is in a fairly good condition, complete with burglar alarm!

attachicon.gif100_6757 - Copy.JPG

With regards,

Rob.

If it's the box i'm thinking of the last time i went past the lower half was been used as garage. I always thought what a great modelling room the upper part would make.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, waggy. It is near to York. The LC it worked became the very first on BR to get barriers. I think the year was 1952, but I've a feeling it may have been two years later. A great modelling room, but for all that glazing. Hot in summer, and cold in winter. Perhaps air conditioning is the answer?

With regards,

Rob.

Hi, waggy. It is near to York. The LC it worked became the very first on BR to get barriers. I think the year was 1952, but I've a feeling it may have been two years later. A great modelling room, but for all that glazing. Hot in summer, and cold in winter. Perhaps air conditioning is the answer?

With regards,

Rob.

Rebuild the chimney and coal fire and cook bacon sandwiches on it in the winter. Open the windows in the summer.

Nearer to York was Castle Howard - possibly the most extreme example of railways catering to the nobility ! Taken on the Zenith-E not long before I scraped enough money together to pay about £80 for my Praktica  :O

21758293.be58950e.800.jpg
Edited by PinzaC55
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, PinzC55. That is such a lovely photo' of the former Castle Howard station. And I also seem to recall the summer of '77 being particularly dull, and dank. You must have been really lucky with the weather that day!

With regards,

Rob.

P.S. Thank you, Mick for reproducing that article about the crossing at Warthill. It is very useful. It appears to confrim my original thoughts about the year being 1952.

Edited by Market65

Thank you, PinzC55. That is such a lovely photo' of the former Castle Howard station. And I also seem to recall the summer of '77 being particularly dull, and dank. You must have been really lucky with the weather that day!

With regards,

Rob.

P.S. Thank you, Mick for reproducing that article about the crossing at Warthill. It is very useful. It appears to confrim my original thoughts about the year being 1952.

That's funny I remember the summer of 77 as being sizzling ! I went out to walk Market Weighton - Driffield but at the time I had really bad hayfever and I got in such a state just past Enthorpe that I had to go home with tears streaming down my face.

BTW you can see the Warthill barriers and lights in the Market Weighton demolition train video linked to earlier.

Edited by PinzaC55

• RMweb Gold

That's funny I remember the summer of 77 as being sizzling ! I went out to walk Market Weighton - Driffield but at the time I had really bad hayfever and I got in such a state just past Enthorpe that I had to go home with tears streaming down my face.

BTW you can see the Warthill barriers and lights in the Market Weighton demolition train video linked to earlier.

That is interesting. The summer of '77 has gone down in the history books as quite cloudy, cool and unremarkable! That day you went for that walk must have been one of the exceptions. 1976 was the long hot one, and 1975 was not too far behind! Another interest I have is the weather.

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick. Those latest two photo's are very interesting, and it is particularly good to see the H&BRly class F3 0-6-2T number 15. A good looking engine.

Tonight, I have two photo's. They are of the railway from York to Beverley near to York. The first one is of Warthill, and the second one is just up the line at Crosslands Lane LC. Here just the Gate Keeper's cottages have survived. Both photo's were taken in the summer of 1993.

post-22631-0-50450100-1449880308_thumb.jpg

post-22631-0-18593900-1449880330_thumb.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 7

Couple of extra images relevant to an earlier post but I'd struggled to find.

Melton Cement works, I suspect taken around 6/89 and even more surprisingly after wandering around photographing I was invited up for a short footplate ride. 

post-16796-0-05606700-1449947181_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

Couple of extra images relevant to an earlier post but I'd struggled to find.

Melton Cement works, I suspect taken around 6/89 and even more surprisingly after wandering around photographing I was invited up for a short footplate ride

Excellent photos of a rarely photographed location, the yellow and blue shunter in your first pic is the 1 that is still there in the shed behind it, other than the track there's not a lot left there now.

Rob

quote name="birdseyecircus" post="2126158" timestamp="1449955075"]There was talk of a repair facility for the new Drax bio mass wagons here and some vegetation clearance took place but it seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Paul

Thanks for that Paul, I only work half a mile up the road from there so I keep looking out for anything developments but so far nothing, see link below for further pics of the shunter still there.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/earles-cement-works-fowler-shunter-september-2012.t76805

Rob

Edited by Lord Flashheart