Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

Hi Graham

I'm really enjoying your pics from Dairycoates in November '63. If, in your collection, you can identify any pics of D6732, I know of a group of people on the North Norfolk Railway who would be really interested to get copies of your pictures!

Thanks again and Best Wishes

I've checked through my bits of paper but I don't have any photos of that one, at least not identifiable ones.

The reason I say that is because it was definitely on Dairycoates on that 3/11/63 visit so it's quite possibly in one of the shots I posted earlier.  In fact, it seems that D6730 - 41 inclusive were all there - if only the pictures were clear enough to tell which was which!

Thanks for looking, Graham.

I also have a personal interest in this loco - during '63 I was spotting on Paragon station and I got to drive D6732 on a shunt release from Platform 1 - I was 13 at the time!!

• Like 1

Oh but these photos of Dairycoates shed bring the memories flooding back, living in Anlaby as I did then.

From the first time I and my youthful mates saw this incredible place - October 1958 - through to the summer of 1966 when the allocation was a mere fraction of its earlier number and when seven section was the last resting place for so many locomotives on their way to Drapers for scrapping.

I never did see Dairycoates in all of its original glory, with six turntables under cover in what must have been one of the largest locoshed buildings in the UK, and with an allocation (in 1950) approaching two hundred in number.

And the photos of lines, long since closed and removed, serve to remind us of those days of the 1950's when any 'ride on the train' was a thriling experience.

Keep em coming, guys, they're just wonderful.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. Tonight I have a photo' from York station taken on 22nd, April, 2010. It shows a Northern Rail class 158, and a Trans Pennine class 185. One of those everyday scenes at York that will very soon be gone.

post-22631-0-80913300-1452111346.jpg

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It is the franchises changing to Arriva from Northern, and a lesser change for Trans Pennine. 158's will, presumably, be gone when the new and cascaded units for Arriva's services come in, and new units for the Trans Pennine services will see the 185's gone, if I understand things correctly. Please correct me if I have got anything wrong. York station will continue as always, thankfully, and we can continue to enjoy visiting and using it as always.

With regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Mick, you have found and posted a real gem of a photo there. Thank you. It is a view of Warthill which I have not seen before, and it clearly shows the then new lifting barriers. A great photo for possibly making a model of the crossing at that time period.

I just hope that no trains were due at the time of the photo!

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Hello, everyone. Tonight I have a photo' of the line between Bridlington and Filey in the cutting which has three over bridges in it, and is nicknamed 'Three Bridges Cutting'. It was taken from the front of a DMU in April, 1987.

post-22631-0-56845900-1452209759.png

With regards,

Rob.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Those barrier arms are certainly heafty bits of kit! Presumeably they are steel or aluminuim taper tubes? Also looking at the pedistals there doesn't appear to be any equipment other than the pivot, so how did they actually work?

And they are also hung the wrong way round as well, coming down on the exit side of the road first, barriers these days are hung the otherway round, so that the entrance side (ie the left hand side of the road) is closed first, to allow anyone on the crossing to get off it.

Fascinating!

Andy G

Andy, they were mechanically worked from the existing Gate Wheel. This practise was later adopted by the N E Region, and I know of two surviving installations, and both in the Hull Area, Cave Crossing and Oxmadike, these are both between Brough and Gilberdyke.

post-702-0-63275500-1452254241_thumb.jpg

• Like 3