Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. I can’t answer about all that coal in the tenders and bunkers of those engines in Springhead works, so I’ll get on with this evening’s photo, which is of a class D20, 62395, at Bridlington, in March, 1952. The photo’ is by ricsrailpics, of Flickr, and is a particularly fine composition.

3031002133_79cd9f41d0_6k.jpgClass D20 4-4-0 no.(6)2395. Bridlington. March 1952 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Looks like a vac fitted van 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, russ p. It could be it is vacuum fitted rather than through fitted since the stand pipe is not white painted.

This evening, we are going back to 31st December, 1964, with WD 2-8-0, 90378 shunting at Bridlington South. The photo’, as before, is from ricsrailpics, on Flickr.

5384702732_da24f3fb51_3k.jpgex-WD 2-8-0 no.90378  shunting at Bridlington. 31 December 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, russ p. It could be it is vacuum fitted rather than through fitted since the stand pipe is not white painted.

This evening, we are going back to 31st December, 1964, with WD 2-8-0, 90378 shunting at Bridlington South. The photo’, as before, is from ricsrailpics, on Flickr.

5384702732_da24f3fb51_3k.jpgex-WD 2-8-0 no.90378  shunting at Bridlington. 31 December 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Evening Rob , well observed I didn't look at that as that is a good indication.  I noticed the vac cylinder under it

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Boris said:

Well, its an LNER pattern van rather than a BR one and they definitely had some fitted ones, although curiously it's also displaying side lamps?

Unless of course they are shunting?

Hi Boris,  good point . I wonder if they have just ran round as if shunting in a yard I'd doubt they would put the pipes up

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Boris said:

Well, its an LNER pattern van rather than a BR one and they definitely had some fitted ones, although curiously it's also displaying side lamps?

Unless of course they are shunting?

It’s interesting, Boris. The D20 is tender first, with those two vans coupled. Perhaps a working pick up to Carnaby? 

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Market65 said:

Rob.

Alas no guide at all as the change to painting the standpipes white on piped vehicles didn't come in until April 1952.    With the photo emulsions used in 1952 it could be difficult to ascertain on a b&W photo if the standpipe is painted red or black although there does appear to be a vacuum cylinder so the standpipes could well still be black or they might have been repainted red in anticipation of the change.  The side lamps appear to be fixed there being no visible sidelamp brackets.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, and thank you, Mick, for posting that excellent photo’ of D49/2, 62756, at Beverley station. Tonight I have, from ricsrailpics on Flickr, a photo’ of Jubilee, 45694, Bellerophon, on what is clearly a returning excursion, on the 29th, August, 1964.

3120174431_d303b64c51_3k.jpgJubilee 45694 'Bellerophon'. Bridlington. 29 August 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, and thank you, Mick, for posting that excellent photo’ of D49/2, 62756, at Beverley station. Tonight I have, from ricsrailpics on Flickr, a photo’ of Jubilee, 45694, Bellerophon, on what is clearly a returning excursion, on the 29th, August, 1964.

3120174431_d303b64c51_3k.jpgJubilee 45694 'Bellerophon'. Bridlington. 29 August 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Excellent picture Rob, what is that first coach? My thoughts are LNER tourist stock

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, russ p said:

Excellent picture Rob, what is that first coach? My thoughts are LNER tourist stock

Yes, looks like it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. As soon as I saw the photo, I had to post on here. The first coach is ex LNER Tourist, maybe, originally plywood panelled, but, of course, by 1964,  steel panelled.  I have found another Tourist, BSO, this time at Malton, but the photo’s in a book so cannot be reproduced on here. So, this evening, I’m posting, from ricsrailpics on Flickr, a colour photo’ of the same train. I think it confirms what that first coach is, and a splendid sight the whole train makes.

5458449919_49c231059a_4k.jpg'Jubilee' class no.45694 'Bellerophon'. Bridlington. 29 August 1964 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, everyone. This evening, I have a photo’, by ricsrailpics on Flickr, of  a B1, 61087, on a train for Doncaster, on the 1st August, 1963.

5811063263_c2b8303d5e_4k.jpgClass B1 no.61087 on Bridlington - Doncaster return excursion. 1 August 1963 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

The interesting point being it looks like it is formed of ex-LMS coaching stock despite being solely any ER train.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, John. I’ve wondered about those carriages, and wonder if they were some of the surplus pool of carriages that Dr. Beeching referred to in the Reshaping Report. 
Well, tonight, there is a photo’ of Hull Paragon station from the 12th May, 1984. It’s from Philip Wheldale on Flickr. It shows a class 124 unit with DMC  51952 leading, as it departs for, presumably, Leeds.

17420278043_a76422e48a_h.jpgdmu by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Good evening, John. I’ve wondered about those carriages, and wonder if they were some of the surplus pool of carriages that Dr. Beeching referred to in the Reshaping Report. 
Well, tonight, there is a photo’ of Hull Paragon station from the 12th May, 1984. It’s from Philip Wheldale on Flickr. It shows a class 124 unit with DMC  51952 leading, as it departs for, presumably, Leeds.

17420278043_a76422e48a_h.jpgdmu by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Such a shame these units weren't refurbished and had asbestos removal.  The NYMR was supposed to be getting two sets but obviously that didn't happen not sure of the reasons it didn't happen but would have thought it was because of asbestos 

• Informative/Useful 2

On 27/05/2020 at 12:24, dvdlcs said:

I was interested to see the quantity of coal in the tenders and bunkers. I would have assumed that locomotives receiving works attention would be defuelled beforehand. Not only has that not been done, but the tender in the middle and the bunker on the right seem to be near capacity.

The tank loco on the right also seems to be off its wheels, so removing a few tons of coal from the bunker prior to lifting it would have made sense to me.

Was leaving coal (and perhaps water) in/on the locomotive normal practice in steam days?

I can only guess, but getting coal out of quite a small (J72) bunker is quite a job - I've only done it once, by hand with a shovel, (and I had help!) and it's hard to see how else, without damaging the tender or bunker. I think it would depend on the nature and extent of the overhaul and would be done only if essential.

Call me a dyed-in-the wool steam man, but this is what Bridlington REALLY used to be about! From my late lamented friend Ken Cockerill, an early 1950s picture of 53D with at least 30 - yes gents THIRTY - visiting steam locos with the ubiquitous 61434 the nearest. Plus you get that superb signal gantry and the South Box. Sorry folks there is nothing to compare with such an animated scene - all that lovely pollution, serving thousand of holidaymakers enjoying a day on the Yorkshire coast, then they get to go home with a 2 or 3-cylinder roar from the front end. The perfect way to end the day!

59 1254 Bridlington MPD (KH Cockerill) 130.jpg

• Like 13