Photo's Of East Yorkshire Railways

1 hour ago, castle4073 said:

Call me a dyed-in-the wool steam man, but this is what Bridlington REALLY used to be about! From my late lamented friend Ken Cockerill, an early 1950s picture of 53D with at least 30 - yes gents THIRTY - visiting steam locos with the ubiquitous 61434 the nearest. Plus you get that superb signal gantry and the South Box. Sorry folks there is nothing to compare with such an animated scene - all that lovely pollution, serving thousand of holidaymakers enjoying a day on the Yorkshire coast, then they get to go home with a 2 or 3-cylinder roar from the front end. The perfect way to end the day!

After fish and chips in Brid most of the roaring comes from my back end.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, castle4073, for that excellent photo’ of Bridlington. What a glorious sight all those engines on shed make. 
Tonight, I have a photo’ from Kevin Lane on Flickr, of Hull Botanic Gardens. It shows a Corporation Sunbeam trolleybus,  number 83, as it crosses the level crossing,  past the station,  on the 22nd August, 1960.

17355743752_1878375dbb_5k.jpgHull Botanic Gardens by Kevin Lane, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Thank you, castle4073, for that excellent photo’ of Bridlington. What a glorious sight all those engines on shed make. 
Tonight, I have a photo’ from Kevin Lane on Flickr, of Hull Botanic Gardens. It shows a Corporation Sunbeam trolleybus,  number 83, as it crosses the level crossing,  past the station,  on the 22nd August, 1960.

17355743752_1878375dbb_5k.jpgHull Botanic Gardens by Kevin Lane, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Fantastic picture, near enough sixty years ago, but seems like yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Market65 said:

Thank you, Mick, I thought you’d enjoy that photo’.

Best regards,

Rob.

Dear Rob, very close to home, I worked across the road at Mr Duggleby's shop for three years 1966 to 1969. The Trollies had gone but the railway was still there, and steam until June 1967.

306 BOTANIC WD 90378 on Up Goods train.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that photo’, Mick, and how times have changed. Yes, we had steam until fairly late.  I wonder where the policeman was at the time of that photo’? 

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, Mick, for those excellent photo’s, which show much of historical interest. Tonight I have a photo’, by ricsrailpics on Flickr, of class B1, 61087, getting watered at Bridlington shed, on the 16th August, 1963.

3214411517_ca6d5936ac_4k.jpgClass B1 no.61087 Bridlington shed. 16 August 1963 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Tonight I have what is a photo’ from the footplate of B1, 61087, on the same date, at Bridlington. From, again, ricsrailpics on Flickr.

4175405760_f18a016c42_4k.jpgFrom the footplate of B1 no.61087. Bridlington shed. 16 August 1963 by ricsrailpics, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
Correcting a spelling error.
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. Tonight I have a photo’ of a class 55 Deltic by Syd Young on Flickr. It’s from the 12th June, 1979. It is, 55014, The Duke Of Wellington’s Regiment, which is to work 1A28, the 16:30 Hull - King's Cross express.

26319643971_69cc1c5c64_k.jpgGetting Ready by Syd Young, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good evening, everyone. This evening, from Philip Wheldale on Flickr, is a view of class 45’s, 45107, and 45007, at Beverley, on the Pathfinders Railtour from Bristol T.M. to Bristol T.M. via Scarborough, on the 3rd October, 1987. The “45 Finale Railtour”.

22281587573_3a6cad8cc5_h.jpg45107 and 45007 by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

whilst sorting out the shed earlier today, I came across a box of stuff from when I was made redundant from NR back in 2003. Looking through the box I came across these 3 photos of the H&B Rly that may be of interest. I will have bought these photos from Collectors Corner in York, so that will be at least 20 years ago

The first is of Pollington SB and crossing. No photographer details but the note on the back of the photo says: "Pollington Box H.B & G.C. JT 27-3-54."

Pollington.jpg.f38598fe1750bb706063d892c58337bb.jpg

Second photo is of South Howden. Again no photographer details, but the note reads: "April 23. 1955. Starting Signal at South Howden. H& B Rly." Not sure what is happening with the signal arm but looks like it has been disconnected. The station didn't close to passengers until August 1955, and the line completely in 1959. It is interesting that the signal arm in this position seems to resting against a "stop" just above the ladder platform. If the signal is no longer in use wouldn't it have been simpler to remove the arm?

1851258226_SouthHowden.jpg.71039a0ed0c7da6cabb477ec78d10b7f.jpg

The 3rd photo I'm assuming is also on the H&B Rly, going by the style of signal and finial, however, it may not be "pure" H&B but somewhere a little further afield on the GC perhaps? My reason for thinking this is the name on the signal box which is "(something) Junction". Not sure what the something is, but have done a quick search the name is too long for Brierly Junction and Aire Junction. Any suggestions? The building in the background could be a station building on the other line that forms the junction. Quite a large signal if the number 53 on the signal is correct.

747326555_UnknownJunction.jpg.fe8a00e04b3053007ed71c4ee81a5bf1.jpg

Hope they are of interest. 

Edit: I should say that there are notes whatsoever on the last photo.

Edited by iands
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

You have posted three interesting pictures, Pollington was taken by Neville Stead, the other two are new to me. Second photo's is Howden East signalbox tempoary closed 1939, note the locking frame and block instruments can just be seen. Your third photo is Bullcroft Jct on the H&B/GCRly Joint Line, and the first one I have seen from that angle. I have the Pollington layout  and signalling, but not presently scanned.

1 BULLCROFT MN.jpg

30_HOWDEN_EAST.JPG

SNAITH and POLLINGTON March 1955.jpg

Edited by micknich2003
Snaith and Pollington added.
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, iands, for posting those fascinating three H&BR photo’s. They are a most welcome addition to this thread, and expand our knowledge of how things used to be on now long gone lines. And thank you, Mick, for those most useful signalling diagrams, they help to explain some of the things to be seen in those excellent photo’s.

Tonight, I have a photo’ from Philip Wheldale on Flickr, which shows a class 37 diesel, unidentified, on a freight at Hessle Haven in about 1979. Since then, much simplification of the lines has, of course, taken place. 

16810533228_3b96c224a0_h.jpg37 by Philip Wheldale, on Flickr

Best regards,

Rob.

• Like 12

Rob, an interesting picture, seen in the distance are the level crossing barriers put in as part of the Humber Bridge project. This was a completely new level crossing and is worthy of note as the last UK installation of a mechanical crossing worked by  a Gate Wheel. I was signalman there from summer 1981 to February 1983 when the signalbox closed when I worked the final shift.

16_HESSLE_HAVEN_Self_on_frame_Dec_1982.jpg

Edited by micknich2003
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

Rob, an interesting picture, seen in the distance are the level crossing barriers put in as part of the Humber Bridge project. This was a completely new level crossing and is worthy of note as the last UK installation of a mechanical crossing worked by  a Gate Wheel. I was signalman there from summer 1981 to February 1983 when the signalbox closed when I worked the final shift.

16_HESSLE_HAVEN_Self_on_frame_Dec_1982.jpg

I presume that the crossing was put in to enable them to get materials and people onto the river bank to build the bridge deck sections.  I remember seeing them under construction.  I seem to remember  that they were then floated out to be winched up into position.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, micknich2003 said:

You have posted three interesting pictures, Pollington was taken by Neville Stead, the other two are new to me. Second photo's is Howden East signalbox tempoary closed 1939, note the locking frame and block instruments can just be seen. Your third photo is Bullcroft Jct on the H&B/GCRly Joint Line, and the first one I have seen from that angle. I have the Pollington layout  and signalling, but not presently scanned.

1 BULLCROFT MN.jpg

30_HOWDEN_EAST.JPG

SNAITH and POLLINGTON March 1955.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation of locations and diagrams Mick, I thought you may be able to help. 

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Ian, you are welcome, I have hundreds of them. The Howden East drawing is unusual, look at the arrangement of the Distants.

Thanks Mick. I've looked at the Howden East diagram again and the distants, but afraid I need another clue as I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I understand the "slot" but unsure about the "disengage" part - is this the unusual bit? 

Ian, you are welcome, I have hundreds of them. The Howden East drawing is unusual, look at the arrangement of the Distants.

Here is a close up of one of the Distant's, has you can see it is on a separate Doll and not underneath the stop arm. I would associate "Disengager" with a Swing Bridge or similar, I'm sure in real terms the signal was slotted the same as we would understand it today.  Despite being an H&BRly issue the book contains many written errors.

30 HOWDEN EAST.JPG

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micknich2003 said:

Here is a close up of one of the Distant's, has you can see it is on a separate Doll and not underneath the stop arm. I would associate "Disengager" with a Swing Bridge or similar, I'm sure in real terms the signal was slotted the same as we would understand it today.  Despite being an H&BRly issue the book contains many written errors.

30 HOWDEN EAST.JPG

Ah, thanks very much Mick. I was looking at the distants in relation to signals further along and missed the (now) blindingly obvious unusual arrangement of the arms being on a separate Doll, rather than underneath the stop arm (schoolboy error on my part). Was this a "typical" H&B Rly practice, or just a "one-off" at Howden East?

To which book are you referring to please?

5 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

I presume that the crossing was put in to enable them to get materials and people onto the river bank to build the bridge deck sections.  I remember seeing them under construction.  I seem to remember  that they were then floated out to be winched up into position.

Jamie

The crossing was put in primarily to allow access to the river bank for staff and vehicles, very little material came across it as most came by rail into the yard. Staff could also access the crossing via the ramp at ship yard.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

Ian, I am ref to the H&BRly "Signal Diagram Book", my copy dates from the turn of the last century. The same arrangement of Distants was also used at Beverley Road, but elsewhere convention was followed.

7 BEVERLEY ROAD.JPG

Once again, many thanks Mick. The arrangements of the distants at Howden East and Beverley Road are, as you say, unusual especially as "convention" was followed at other locations. The reason for this unusual arrangement may well be lost in the mist of time, but I wonder if there were, at the time, some sighting issues with these signals that may have been compounded if placed under the stop arms?