Hornby Silver Jubilee Set

Hilux5972

I just hope Hornby have fixed the issue with the tender lettering height the last few super detail A3 and A4s have had it in the middle of the tender instead of inline with the cab number. I have stopped pre-ordering any of these loco types until I see if this correct on the models.

Looking at the pre production images, it seems like the letters and numbers are indeed not lined up.

Aren't the top lamp brackets in the later (lower) position as well?

One of the problems with the Great Goodbye sets was that the front buffer beam numbers were too high and the writing around the crank hole (for the cods mouth) was only present one side. The former looks ok, but it's impossible to tell the latter from the pictures available.

Hopefully the models seen on the website are merely pre production mock ups.

Saying that, glaring detail errors were present on BOOK LAW from the first catalogue image and they weren't corrected in production.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the pre production images, it seems like the letters and numbers are indeed not lined up.

Hope the attached pic helps:

post-586-0-48814600-1449489795.jpg

Tried to get everything level and camera resting on the desk just as the loco was. Looks fairly good to me.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Jim,

The set was delivered on Saturday but as I was up in the smoke all day only collected the set from my neighbour yesterday morning. Only test run 2509 so far and found it to be a quiet smooth runner. Now waiting for a new South West Digital A4 sound decoder to arrive tomorrow or Wednesday.

Keith

Rails of Sheffield are splitting the set at £170 per loco. Need to check which 2 I already have and hope the 2 I want are not sold out !

O.T. I know, but if they also split the Gresley Set next year, I bet anyone trying to get the A4 will have to be very quick off the mark. 

Rails of Sheffield are splitting the set at £170 per loco. Need to check which 2 I already have and hope the 2 I want are not sold out !

O.T. I know, but if they also split the Gresley Set next year, I bet anyone trying to get the A4 will have to be very quick off the mark. 

Those on Hattons are 35 notes cheaper each, although I'm not sure if that's because they're only for sale as a 4some.

I already have the previously released 2509, so not sure I really want the set of 4. Silver Fox maybe.

Pictures  above and on the Rails site show the slight dip in the Roof mentioned before . You can see a slight deviation above the right-hand cab window. It should have separate dust covers on the front of the  bogie ,the one piece version is post war. Other than that appears just as good as earlier Silver issues.

When 2509 Silver Link was first built, the handrail ran straight all the way to the cab.

I've seen a photo of it in Brunswick Green where the handrail dips before it reaches the cab.

But was it ever like that when it was painted silver grey?

Looking at the photos on the Hornby website, the pipe which runs underneath the handrail is painted silver on Silver Fox, but grey on Silver Link, Quicksilver and Silver King.

I've got Quicksilver from set R2445, the same pipe is painted silver on that version.  Wonder which one is correct?

Could anyone say when the A4 boiler handrail changed from being straight to being turned down slightly at the cab end?  I have photos of the inaugural run of 1935 with straight handrail but most other photos show it bent down behind the second-to-last stanchion, and some show the longer curved-down section as per later engines/BR.

Archived