Starting a German shelf layout advice

Peppercorn

Guten tag!

Going on holiday's supposed to be good for you, and my visit last week to Bamberg last week was quite a tonic, even though I managed to spend only a short time at the Banhof. Where a holiday may not be good for you, is when it re-awakens a nascent interest, and my visit did just that.  

Amongst other things I sawon static display in Regensburg a pretty little metre gauge 0-6-2T (*photo below) which formally ran on an extensive system out of Regensburg (about 100km, I believe) The locomotive reminded me of a really nice Zeuke 0-10-0T reviewed in Model Railway Constructor in November '62. I was attracted at the time, but was more interested in remaining steam here in UK.

I was considering, therefore, of starting a shelf layout (say 200cm x 30cm) having a simple track layout (not necessarily narrow gauge) using a locomotive like it, but, frankly, don't know where to start. I'd like to have bought something while I was there in Bamberg, but that proved impossible. Can I ask advice on where to start from you all, please? For instance, is there a suitable model railway society here, or would joining GRS be useful? Any pointer would be appreciated.

Regards to all,

Cliff

post-2411-0-20956900-1442585090_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Its a long time since I had a German N gauge layout.

As well as the GRS, there is also the European Railway Society (I might have got the name slightly wrong). They are having an exhibition in December (there is a thread on it).

Assuming you are building a terminus, many stations seem to have a central road with a run round loop on both sides (they could be double ended sidings).

Good luck and keep us posted.

• RMweb Premium

following on from Dutch_Master. There is a suprising amount available from Tillig in TT scale. Being smaller than HO, you can get more on your plank, and its bigger than N so you can see it. One day I could be tempted to do something with it myself.

Hi Cliff,

Welcome aboard!

I always find tons of inspiration here: http://www.stummiforum.de/viewforum.php?f=51

and here: http://www.h0-modellbahnforum.de/

These are both in German language but the pictures and plans are international.

Both Fleischmann and Trix do a smashing little standard gauge loco, relatively similar to the gorgeous machine in your picture: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fleischmann+T3&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIo-Hs3JmByAIVgroaCh0_pw3F&biw=1280&bih=641#imgrc=_

Both my learned collegues above are completely correct btw - you could argue that standard gauge is cheaper than the equivalent narrow gauge models but, . . . the variety available is astonishing and can lead to spending more, much more.

By the way, the ERS show in Bourneville in December is well worth a visit.

Cheers,

John E.

Gentlemen, thank you so much. I will update you on progress, but, please be aware, this will be slow - probably to be sped-up once I've made a purchase of some tasty little loco. This might force me to drop something else, but we'll see.

My regards,

Cliff

Thanks for your additional information, chaps. Quite a large resource taken together, and lots for me to look at and consider.

I looked at the video, Andrew: all that in 80cm x 40cm!

Would you mind a couple of supplementaries?

1. Is "Continental Modeller" worth buying?

2. CAn anyone recommend a decent shop? - I live near Bedford

Kind regards,

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

I feel the information given by TonyA is a good basis for your research, I've been a member of the GRS for two years and found the signalling publications very comprehensive.

I occasionally purchase CM relative to the articles as my interest is early German Epoche 1/2 however, there are a host of useful "decent shops" advertised in this publication together with European shops which are worth looking at ont tinternet !

I was slightly apprehensive about ordering from Europe initially but my fears were unfounded and with the current state of the Euro it can sometimes be slightly cheaper to order direct.

Don't know if this helps but be prepared to be bitten !

Happy modelling :)

The line was the Walhallabahn and you can see an Eisenbahn Romantik programme on it here.

http://www.swr.de/eisenbahn-romantik/die-walhallabahn/-/id=98578/did=15607094/nid=98578/m91pvz/index.html

The programme includes some film of the line from 1940. However, even if you speak German, the Regensburg accent is horrendous. My old boss came from there and it was a permanent struggle to understand him.

If you are feeling rich, you can also get an H0 model of the loco here.

http://walhalla-modellbau.de/modell.html]

The kit costs €395,00 and the finished model €795,00.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Kind regards,

Cliff

Hi Cliff!

CM - I went for a digital subscription a year ago - you can sign-up for an initial 3-month digital Sub for just under a tenner. Not only do you get the current and 2 subsequent issues, but you also get access to the digital back-issues back to Jan 2011 - if you have the time and patience, within your first 3 months you can easily work through the 50-odd issues available and either continue the sub or end it. You can read each issue on a PC or tablet and save/print pages as .pdfs for future reference. Note this access only comes with the digital sub, not the print version.

If your German is up to it, the various German magazines (MIBA, ModellEisenbahner, Eisenbahn Journal or Eisenbahn Kurier) all do overseas subscriptions - usual price including postage is around €70-80 p.a. Most do a trial/taster 3-issue sub.

The German Railway Society's quarterly mag 'Merkur' is a mix of prototype info and news and modelling pieces. Again, Merkur is available digitally (£11 per year) or hard-copy (£16 per year). Many back-issues available in electronic form in the members-only web area.

The GRS Signalling guides are excellent and there is also a members-only e-group for discussion and sharing of ideas and info (in fact, an index of German-railway related CM articles has recently been compiled, covering every issue of CM to date and is available via the e-group files).

Useful track planning sites - in addition to those already mentioned, theres the Lokalbahn site: http://www.lokalbahn-reminiszenzen.de/seitenindex.htm

With Firefox or Chrome browsers, you can add a useful translate widget to automatically translate foreign sites into English.

I can also second the recommendation for ModellBahnshoppe Lippe - always excellent and quick service from them. Menzel's LokSchuppen in Düsseldorf is another good one. Many German shops don't take Paypal/plastic though, so you might want to look at one or other of the non-bank money transfer services to save bank charges (I make good use of Transferwise to pay for German goods)

Good luck!

Thanks for your additional information, chaps. Quite a large resource taken together, and lots for me to look at and consider.

I looked at the video, Andrew: all that in 80cm x 40cm!

Kind regards,

Cliff

Cliff,

Continental Modeller can be a good source of news and ideas, even if articles don't directly relate to scale/gauge you choose, you can get lots of inspiration. They do an online subscription for £9.75 (3 Months) or £39 (12 Months), Example Here - the advantage with the online version is that you get access to all the previous editions ( which go back to Jan 2011 !).

There are so many good model shops in Germany but i'm not aware of a good, online source of details - I keep meaning to add one to the Narrow Gauge North website but haven't managed to complete it yet (if anyone wants any good shops listing let me know).

Andrew

Cliff,

Continental Modeller can be a good source of news and ideas, even if articles don't directly relate to scale/gauge you choose, you can get lots of inspiration. They do an online subscription for £9.75 (3 Months) or £39 (12 Months), Example Here - the advantage with the online version is that you get access to all the previous editions ( which go back to Jan 2011 !).

There are so many good model shops in Germany but i'm not aware of a good, online source of details - I keep meaning to add one to the Narrow Gauge North website but haven't managed to complete it yet (if anyone wants any good shops listing let me know).

Andrew

For £48.06, Peco will do a 12  months subscription with both paper and online versions !! 

Archived