NCE Powercab - replacement cable

Alcanman

My NCE Powercab is now 6 years old and has proved to an excellent purchase and very reliable. However, I've recently experienced an intermittant power problem and traced this back to the

connector at the power panel end. I swopped the cable around, inserting the 'faulty' connector into the handset and all is well .. for now.

I also noticed that the black outer cable appears to have shrunk back exposing the 6 coloured wires and causing stress on the wires,hence the intermittant fault.

I was wondering if a repacement 6 wire flat cable with RJ-12 connector is available and where it can be sourced.

Thanks, Mal

• 5 years later...
8 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Useful thread, chaps. I've had exactly the same issue as Alcanman,, with the wires emerging and an intermittent power drop. Now ordered a replacement.

My replacement cable is still going strong after 5 years. Back in action, hopefully, tomorrow when I finish wiring my new layout.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I got my cable today from DCC Supplies, as per the link above. I was a bit concerned that the fault might have turned out to be in the Power Cab, but it was indeed an intermittent break in the cable, and all's now good. I think I prefer the curly type of cable over the flat ribbon type as originally supplied as these always seem to end with a twist in them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 30/09/2020 at 21:56, arff999 said:

Make sure the one you ordered has 6 cores and not 4,

The most annoying feature of the powercab is the two different cables.  Flat one with 6 wires for Powercab use which is untidy, gets in the way, is often twisted and looks ugly.  And the 4 wire curly cable which is much neater when used as a throttle.   Nice to know that after market suppliers have created 6 wire curly cables.

• Agree 1