The ZIMO 'Swiss Mapping' Thread

pauliebanger

ZIMO sound decoders aimed at the H0/00 scale models (and single motor 0 gauge) are equipped with 10 Function Outputs as standard. 

To put that into context, a single ZIMO decoder can, without additional adapter boards, illuminate by individual control, 10 separate lamps or 10 separate pairs of lamps.

So, they can save the need to find money and space for additional decoders which might be needed to boost the abilities of other brands. 

Controlling such a large number of individual features would normally occupy many F keys, which may be needed for other duties. 

To bring some order to this, ZIMO created a function mapping technique which is so powerful and flexible that anyone with a DCC controller and a bit of knowledge can set up without needing to know how the project was originally created or which Function Outputs (FOs) were assigned to what F keys by the author.

ZIMO call this Swiss Mapping since it was originally developed to make it easy to create authentic lighting patterns for Swiss locomotives which can be complex.

Unfortunately, the name and the example used to in the decoder manual illustrate the method serve more to confuse than enlighten.

I have given some of this information in other treads, but it tends to become buried over time. The purpose of this thread, therefore, is to provide a single resource, where explanations of what Swiss Mapping can be used for and how to use it can be gathered.

What Swiss Mapping (SM) cannot do is rewire your loco. To be able to control any individual function in isolation it must be wired to a separate FO.

Provided that the correct wiring has been put in place, SM gives a quick and intuitive way to assign FOs to any F key.

Crucially, this extends to allowing multiple FOs to be assigned to a single F key, or multiple F keys to control a single FO, or a mixture of these, whilst any or all of them may be direction dependant .

SM is, therefore, able to group functions which should act together in a given set of conditions, to the same F key, but it can also use FOs from different groups to create new groups suitable for changed circumstances. 

By the nature of our models, this will be used largely for lighting effects, but there is actually no restriction on what the FO can control, so, for instance it could be used to assign a smoke generator to a favoured F key, or determine which F key controls the roof fan. 

To keep things simple to start with I will avoid illustrations using F key 0 and FOs for forward and rear headlamps. (I will introduce them later, though,as they may still be required). Also for clarity, I will assume SM is the sole method in use (in reality, all types can be used simultaneously if required)

The basic concept is straightforward:

A Swiss Mapping 'Group' consists of 6 consecutive CVs, the first of which is CV430.

Each CV in the group has a specific role which, respectively, remains the same in every group. i.e. the third CV in each group holds the number of the first FO to operate in the forward direction of travel.

A simple example will help comprehension, I think. 

Say you wish to control a smoke generator which is connected to F01 by using F key 21 and you wish it to operate when the model is travelling in either direction.

SM Group 1

CV430 = 21 (the number of the F key which controls this group)

CV431 = 0 (Not required here)

CV432 = 1 (the number of the first FO to operate in the forward direction of travel)

CV433 = 0 (the number of the second FO to operate in the forward direction of travel, if there is a second one required, otherwise enter 0)

CV434 = 1 (the number of the first FO to operate in the rearward direction of travel)

CV435 = 0 (the number of the second FO to operate in the rearward direction of travel, if there is a second one required, otherwise enter 0)

To create such a group, all that is required is that you know the CVs in the group and their purpose, plus which FO is connected to the function you wish to control.

Here's something a little more complex, but very commonly required. Often called 4 function lighting, it allows the tail lamps to be illuminated with the front markers when 'light engine', but to be extinguished when there are other vehicles on the hook. I'll use F key 21 again to operate the lights

In this case, the markers at each end are connected as a pair to a single FO and so are the tail lamps. Assuming No1 end whites use FO1, reds use FO2, No2 end white FO3 and reds FO4.  There are several ways that this can be done. Here's one way.

SM Group 1 (White Marker Lamps)

CV430 = 21

CV431 = 0

CV432 = 1

CV433 = 0

CV434 = 3

CV435 = 0

SM Group 2 (Red Tail Lamps)

CV436 = 22

CV437 = 0

CV438 = 4

CV439 = 0

CV440 = 2

CV441 = 0

If F21 is engaged, white markers at the 'front' will be illuminated, direction dependant.

If F22 is engaged, red tail lamps at the 'rear' will be illuminated, direction dependant.

So,for light engine, engage F21 and F22.

For a loco at the head of train (including coupled light engines), engage F21 only

For a loco at the rear of a train (including coupled light engines), engage F22 only

I'll give other examples, including the use of the second CV in each group, later.

SM was introduced with SW V32.0 with 10 groups available. The number of groups available increased to 13 with SW V34, which also introduced the ability to assign 'Rule 17' speed dependant dimmed/high beam headlights.

You can check your SW version by reading the value in CV7 with the sub-version at CV65.

It remains perfectly feasable to mix SM and normal NMRA mapping or other ZIMO Extended Function Mapping methods.

It is worth noting, however, that from SW V34 many of the ZIMO extended mapping methods have been dropped as being redundant. I believe CV61 = 97 is still operational if required.

Kind regards,

Paul

The information provided here has been a real help. I'm adding cab lights and saloon lighting to a Farish Class 108 with DCC sound. It's been fitted with a Zimo MX646N in the power car. I tried to map FO1 and FO2 to F21 and F22 respectively as these are the first two function keys without sounds associated. However, I could get neither to work. I eventually ended up mapping the outputs to F14 and F15 as these keys just created a door slam / window slam so after that the output stayed live until turned off again. The decoder version is 33.10 so I expected to be able to use function keys above F20. As it turns out the trailer car is fitted with a Zimo MX681N function only decoder and as far as I can tell only allows function mapping up to F12 (no mention of swiss mapping in the manual for that decoder!). So that necessitated moving the sounds and functions from F14 and F15 to F8 and F9, again I found an excellent thread which described how to do this. Happy that all is now working but interested to know why I couldn't use the F21 and F22 as originally planned.

Regards,

Paul

• 2 months later...

The information provided here has been a real help. I'm adding cab lights and saloon lighting to a Farish Class 108 with DCC sound. It's been fitted with a Zimo MX646N in the power car. I tried to map FO1 and FO2 to F21 and F22 respectively as these are the first two function keys without sounds associated. However, I could get neither to work. I eventually ended up mapping the outputs to F14 and F15 as these keys just created a door slam / window slam so after that the output stayed live until turned off again. The decoder version is 33.10 so I expected to be able to use function keys above F20. As it turns out the trailer car is fitted with a Zimo MX681N function only decoder and as far as I can tell only allows function mapping up to F12 (no mention of swiss mapping in the manual for that decoder!). So that necessitated moving the sounds and functions from F14 and F15 to F8 and F9, again I found an excellent thread which described how to do this. Happy that all is now working but interested to know why I couldn't use the F21 and F22 as originally planned.

Regards,

Paul

Paul,

Sorry, only just come across this post. Which sound project do you have in this model? The explanation might lie there.

Swiss Mapping is available, though with fewer 'groups', on ZIMO Function Decoders according to the more up to date German Language User Manual. Use in the same way.

Kind regards,

Paul

• 3 years later...

This is a really useful but I am wondering how to get the uncouple shuffle/waltz assigned to F21.

looking in the Zimo manual you change CV115 and CV116, but I don’t understand how I assign the uncouple action to the function key. 

I’m using decoderpro to read the zimo chip and I believe it is a MX644.

thanks

chris

23 minutes ago, Novco007 said:

This is a really useful but I am wondering how to get the uncouple shuffle/waltz assigned to F21.

looking in the Zimo manual you change CV115 and CV116, but I don’t understand how I assign the uncouple action to the function key. 

I’m using decoderpro to read the zimo chip and I believe it is a MX644.

thanks

chris

Answered in the other thread where you've just asked the same question.  

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Answered in the other thread where you've just asked the same question.  

Any chance of a link to the other thread, as I am interested in the “shuffle” but have no idea where the other thread is?

• 4 weeks later...

If you are referring to Swiss Mapping, then you are correct. The feature was first developed for some complex Swiss loco lighting regulations. There have been seen significant improvements in functionality with increases in SM groups (currently 13 on sound decoders) and the ability to use one of 5 user-selected 'dimming' values for each individual output.

However, you will need each individually controllable light to be separately connected to a different function output on the decoder*.

Once that's achieved, it would be simple to allocate different array paterns to different Swiss Mapping groups. These could each be assigned to different F keys, or a single F key could control 'lighting' and the appropriate group be selected by the user changing a CV to re-assign the F key to the required group.

This latter may seem a bit 'clunky', but it saves on the number of F keys used for lighting (could be important in sound decoders) and if you think about it, correct lighting should be set before movement and not altered until standing, awaiting some new service.

*I demonstrated this in Hornby Magazine (Issue 72, mid 2013) with a converted Bachmann Class 20  and the Little Loco Company Class 15 was equipped in this way from new.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger