Motive Power and Stock for Foster Street (N gauge meddling)

paulprice

I have been building a LMS period layout called Foster Street, which is based around a typical suburban secondary line station, somewhere in the northwest in the period up to Nationalisation (no BR liveries here). Easy you would think, but I'm finding like most things its not so easy, so if anyone is interested I might start posting details of the latest disasters :) on my workbench.....

Currently on the workbench, is a Jubilee that I bought a while back for a bargain price (£40 less than the usual price) at that much of a bargain, how could I resist? The problem was it was in BR Green, still it got squirreled away in the train cave until I finished messing about with my crimson ones, and had sufficient time to ponder how I could rescue the old girl

post-18718-0-26021200-1442661861_thumb.jpg

So after a little thought I decided that I had enough Jubilee's in crimson, I wanted something a little different, years ago I had a black Peco jubilee and although the livery was not technically correct, they look handsome beasts in black, so it was to be LMS post-war lined black, so the starting point was to get rid of the green

post-18718-0-73421700-1442662421_thumb.jpg

You've more patience than me to be adding lining in 2mm scale. Nice one. I'm not sure I'd risk much weathering, just add some scrapings of real coal in the tender and grease up the buffers. I'd certainly varnish the transfers to protect them though! 

The problem is I have too many projects on the go at once, am I the only one who gets bored with projects partway through?? Still when you add some freight locomotives to your fleet it does give you chance to apply a bit of heavy weathering. Plus it gives you the opportunity to hide poor paint jobs, so if I ever get round to finishing these two they will not be clean.

post-18718-0-65037900-1443306212_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

That's a very nice paintjob and I'd be reluctant to hide it under grime too (its war-weary crimson sisters are another matter of course). One thing you could do while you have the small paintbrush out is paint the motion bracket black, as Farish have incorrectly left it bright on both their recent LMS 4-6-0s - it should contrast with the adjacent radius rod.

Simon

Thanks I thought there was something not quite right, what I need to do now is do some work on my very vague representation of a parallel Pat which will also be in a lined black livery.

What I need to do is find a source of cheap Jubilee's for repainting, but then again I will just end up with more projects joining the ever bigger production queue :(

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Keep the updates coming Paul...I've just started taking my first steps into N gauge and I'm planning to build my first layout, one to fit onto my living room window sill at 8ft long but only 8 inches wide. Looking to make it a through station on the Midland, in the Derbyshire dales area, in the late 1930's to 40's. So far I have a Peco Jubilee, LMS black, picked off Ebay and 5 wagons picked up for £20 at the Tonbridge MRC show on Saturday. I'm keeping an eye on an old Farish Black 5 on Ebay as well that will need to have it's leading pony truck replaced with something better. So what you get up to will be of interest, especially modifying your RTR stock.

Well its been a while since I have updated this thread, so as I'm currently working on additions to the motive power fleet, so I thought I might post details of my current "lash up".

It all began with the discovery of a couple of the old Grafar Black 5's that I had secretly squirreled away and forgot all about.

post-18718-0-19095900-1456261588_thumb.jpg

I know there are probably legions of Farish collectors out there who will want to get me now, because when you look at these models for what they are they are pretty crude. However especially in N gauge a working chassis is something you cant pass up on so a few minutes later.....

post-18718-0-33185400-1456261636_thumb.jpg

Now the problem with N gauge is most of us have to live with compromises, if we are not blessed with the ability to prodice from scratch scale working chassis, so I studied the old body a bit and the old grey cells began to fire, well not quite a quickly as my mini drill.

post-18718-0-28550900-1456261666_thumb.jpg

Once the majority of the destruction is complete, I then set about creating a parallel boiler, as I'm convinced they may make a passable Royal Scott?

post-18718-0-23572500-1456261701_thumb.jpg

A brilliant set of skill on display there to show how you can turn an older model into something truly useful. Even though Im a NE man they are looking like Scots already.

Do you take commission's as I have looked at some of your loco's and weathered stock on here and I think there most be more than me on here who would love to own some of your work.

A brilliant set of skill on display there to show how you can turn an older model into something truly useful. Even though Im a NE man they are looking like Scots already.

Do you take commission's as I have looked at some of your loco's and weathered stock on here and I think there most be more than me on here who would love to own some of your work.

I'm sorry I do not take commissions, I hardly have enough time to complete models for myself sometimes, and I would hate to put other people into this situation.

I'm sure there are far better modellers than me on here who will be more than happy to complete work for you on a commission basis.

• 1 month later...

We believe you.

We are just too polite and patient to demand instant updates.

In your own time....

Regards

Ian

Ian

There had been a bit of progress, all I need to do now is to update this to prove it

Well its been a while since my last real update, and a little progress has been made with a few of my projects (yes there are more than one on the go), but back to LMS prototypes.

I'm sure like everyone I had a few older models in the collection, that I hid away rather than admit that I owned them, a few of these were the older Farish Black 5's from my childhood. So what to do with them, the answer came when I was doing some serious research (dozing in a chair with a good book), I had decided to try and create something that had a passing resemblance to a Parallel Scott.

Just to make it a little more difficult for me I decided that if I was doing one, I may as well make two, so armed with various tools of devastation I set to work. Once the majority of the older Farish body was removed with a cutting disk, I thought simple, give up and wait for Farish to release one :)

post-18718-0-14068300-1462353316_thumb.jpg

Pressing on I managed to cobble together a couple of boilers and managed to fabricate some basic boiler fittings, so with the aid of lots of filler I slowly started to reconstruct the locomotives.

post-18718-0-49851000-1462353339_thumb.jpg

The idea was to produce one with a Fowler tender, and smoke deflectors and one with no deflectors but with a Stannier tender, as I have a bit of a thing for LMS post war black I decided to concentrate on this one first. I thought this would be easy, until I realised how much lining was involved with this deceptively simple livery.

post-18718-0-12773000-1462353398_thumb.jpg

For a quick break from lining, I decided to slap a little crimson paint on one of them, and a little lining, before I knuckled down and returned to the Black one.

post-18718-0-50859300-1462353413_thumb.jpg

The good news is that although the locomotive is still not 100% complete the number of outstanding jobs is far smaller than those already completed, but I still need to add name plates, do something about the tender (terrible moulded coal) and then apply a little weathering, but for the moment she runs and if you look the other way sort of looks like a Parallel Scot???

post-18718-0-26270000-1462353447_thumb.jpg

post-18718-0-47546500-1462353362_thumb.jpg

Well this lot are getting closer to leaving the workbench, the problem is there are quite a few locomotives behind them, maybe the chaps are right, I might have too many locomotives very worrying :(.

More of a worry for me though is that as a die hard LMS fan, there are 3 NE locomotives passing through the workbench, all the locomotives look too clean so I think a spot of weathering is required.........

post-18718-0-43935300-1462356826_thumb.jpgpost-18718-0-74277000-1462356867_thumb.jpg

Archived