Rail Sweeper? - Dresden August 2015

akirkby

I spotted this 'Rail Sweeper' whilst in Dresden a couple of weeks back. Something unusual. It just drove down the road on it's tyres, onto the tram rails and in the time it had taken me to get my camera out of it's case it had lifted itself up onto the rail wheels and was speeding off down the street!

Anyone seen this before or have any further info on it?

post-1861-0-18565500-1442692302_thumb.jpg

I've seen a similar vehicle in Berlin but I think it was road wheels only, working on street track.  It would stop over every flange drain and suck out any debris, and when a tram approached it would simply pull over to the side of the road to let it pass. 

All tram undertakings need to keep their rail grooves and drains clear to avoid flooding and possible derailments.  In Nottingham they appear to use a "Henry" powered off a generator in a truck. 

I've seen a similar vehicle in Berlin but I think it was road wheels only, working on street track.  It would stop over every flange drain and suck out any debris, and when a tram approached it would simply pull over to the side of the road to let it pass. 

All tram undertakings need to keep their rail grooves and drains clear to avoid flooding and possible derailments.  In Nottingham they appear to use a "Henry" powered off a generator in a truck. 

Ah, that would make some sense as it had been raining heavily all morning (4-5hrs) when this photo was taken. I like the British solution, typical 'economical' use of hardware :-)

Seems a modern solution to an age-old problem.  Most systems - particularly in the former Eastern bloc - tend to have an assortment of weird and wonderful contraptions for servicing their tram lines.  Well done for getting a picture - I find they usually catch you off-guard and are gone by the time you get the camera ready.

Here's an example from Hungary - happily preserved (which means it wasn't getting away from my camera) - photted at the metro museum at Szentendre (near Budapest) in 1999.  I understand it is an electric snow broom, converted from a former tram loco.

post-10122-0-22302100-1442699467_thumb.jpg

Seems a modern solution to an age-old problem.  Most systems - particularly in the former Eastern bloc - tend to have an assortment of weird and wonderful contraptions for servicing their tram lines.  Well done for getting a picture - I find they usually catch you off-guard and are gone by the time you get the camera ready.

Here's an example from Hungary - happily preserved (which means it wasn't getting away from my camera) - photted at the metro museum at Szentendre (near Budapest) in 1999.  I understand it is an electric snow broom, converted from a former tram loco.

attachicon.gif1P99018a.jpg

I'd spotted a video on YouTube with these on the other day - https://youtu.be/dwilgbFf8kI

Looks like they are still in use, all 9+ of them!

I spotted this 'Rail Sweeper' whilst in Dresden a couple of weeks back. Something unusual. It just drove down the road on it's tyres, onto the tram rails and in the time it had taken me to get my camera out of it's case it had lifted itself up onto the rail wheels and was speeding off down the street!

Anyone seen this before or have any further info on it?

I believe London Transport had several "emergency" tram routes in South London which had to used at-least once every three months or removed. There was a tram sent out to do the "quarterlies" with several members of staff  carrying point levers to clean out both the point blade recesses and flange ways.

No idea on those, but for those who don't know them, I believe Dresden also still has its Cargo Trams - as usual, videos can be found on YouTube of course :-D

They were running the last time I was there.

I believe they supply the car factory.

I have seen various odd vehicles on the Leipzig tram system. As it was mostly at night and mostly back in DDE times I do not have any photos.

Bernard

Archived