Midland main line 1950's

farren

• RMweb Gold

I have turned my attention to rolling stock for the foreseeable future. And trying to build up some coach sets. So far I have bought 10 Dapol suburban coaches along with 6 Bachmann none corridor coaches plus 4 Hornby stanier coaches.

I have been trying to find out what coaches would go to build standard sets for stopping and express trains to and from Leicester around 1948 to 1955.

For example would the Bachmann portholes have been used? How soon did the BR Mk 1's make on to the Midland?

Any suggestions/hep would be most appreciated

There is a really good book on this subject. I have a copy on my Dad's bookshelves and will try to remember to take a look tomorrow.

Operation Midland - Passenger Services: 1955. Covers train services and carriage workings. Published by Xpress Publishing and still available as far as I an aware.

• RMweb Gold

Have a look through these photos of Ken Fairey's posted on Flickr with permission.

He was a Wellingborough based photographer so the MML was his main stamping ground so they may give you a bit of an idea for carriage formations of that period.

Here's a shot of 45597 Barbados in 1958 at Wellingborough:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/8216649190/in/album-72157630560555614/

You can spend an hour or two browsing this site! 

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic Flickr link will definitely be spending more time looking through that.

I have now bought that book now and hopefully should be here tomorrow. Can anyone suggest a book on the BR Mk1 coaches. To help turn the Dapol coaches into other diagrams.

• RMweb Gold

Ok hopefully someone will know this without to much hard work.

Trying to work out what diagrams ill need for Leicester but frist can anyone help with the diagrams I already have.

I have

3 Bachmann lms 57 corridor stock(needs turning into BR. 3rd possible a d1694

7 Bachmann Br mk1 suburbans. Found 3 more in coach box.

10 Dapol BR MK1 suburbans (some but not all of which will be used for comit sides) break d1735 3rd d1784 or they could be break 1685/1737 comp 1636/1736

4 Hornby exLMS none corridors. All pIII

All 3rd d1899

I had thought of replica but that could be over kill with sheer numbers.

Edited by farren

• 2 years later...