Glendevon extension

kingfisher24

My club had a lyout named Glendevon (www.elmrc.org.uk)

The layout is older than i am but is still going strong and in demand for shows. The layout is in two seperate sections, the main one being a ex north british terminus station with village whilst the other section has a single line passing by a brewery.

post-10572-0-92918900-1442788922_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-44416900-1442788896_thumb.jpg

Over the past few months me and some others have been discussing creating a new 12' x 3' section with a station and passin loop and junction in order to create more operational interest and make the layout more interesting. As when the station end is busy and the next trains are all set up the fiddle yard operator does a lot of twiddling thumbs until the opposite end is ready to send a return working. As when at a show the layout is very busy indeed on a line which in reality (although glendevon never had a station) would maybe have seen a maximum of two or three trains a day - we run it like clapham juntion or at least thats what some say. So adding an alternative/extension section with the afore mentioned loop and junction would take some of the pressure off from the main terminus and also give the fiddle yard operator something to do when quiet.

Anyway i have spent last sunday and thursday and then today constructing the frame work for the new section as i am keen to get on with it as it has to be ready for the glasgow show in 2017.

Below are a couple of shots taken this afternoon my mr linehan as the club of yours truly puting in the last screws in one of the sections. When showing the shots to my wife she says it looks like a wing. The fuselage and engines are to follow!

post-10572-0-87161900-1442789533_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-20592600-1442789552_thumb.jpg

In the last shot glendevon station can be seen on the left behind me.

More updates to follow.

Gary

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Really love Glendevon and never tire of seeing it. I especially love watching the shunting movements . The lush countryside, just a reminder of the way things once were. Nice to see it getting extended

Here is a shot of the mock-up which has been used to play about on in order to get the track plan how we like it. At the far end the line will disappear into the fiddle yard whilst the line to the left in the centre will be a line under a bridge to industry. With the two sidings in the centre being used as exchange sidings.

We are deliberately not having any specific industry on the layout, firstly because of the lack of space and, as there is no industry on show the line can be going to anything so the traffic can we varied accordingly without changing anything on the layout. We have even had a suggestion of ambroses glendevon custard, and a govt red tape factory.

The line at the bottom on the right will be the main line to glendevon station (via the existing brewery section where space allows the full layout to be put up), the other line will be a line to somewhere else, making the station a junction. To be honest i am not sure about the run round loop on the bottom left. This loop is to allow industrial loco's to run round their train after picking up wagons before proceeding to the industry. I would rather propel the short trains that will be used and not having the loop would allow for more scenics at this end of the layout. So the loop may well disappear on the final version.

post-10572-0-23052500-1442852369_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

And here are another three shots of the mock-up without the run round loop in the yard, to me it looks less crowded without the loop. Allowing more scenery to be added, these mock up boards are 6" narrower than the boards i have been working on, the effect of a layout in the landscape is what im aiming for and as can be seen in all the shots so far, the track plan on thd main lines is on a gentle curve. To me this looks better than having it dead straight.post-10572-0-76366500-1442854451_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-60545400-1442854471_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-70702800-1442854499_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This are the boards set in between glendevon proper and the fiddle yard and with code 100 laid to the plan and to play around with the plan and tweak here and there until its finalised.

We have lost the run round loop on the industrial or private owner part as we fealt that there was too much track in the space. Insead there is just te head shunt which is simpler and keeps the electrics a little less complicated with two sets of points less.

Next after the track plan is finalised the outline of the track will be outlined and all the ply outside the line will be cut, leaving just the track bed ply and the rest open frame to save weight. Thus allowing the scenics to be built above and below track level.

Note how the track is on a gentle curve, i had to get away from the dead straight society, it will hopefully look more natural on a flowing curve.

post-10572-0-22383500-1444857825_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-99978100-1444857871_thumb.jpg

Gary

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here is results of a couple of hours work this afternoon, it took longer than i thought it would to make scenic formers on the front of the layout. Next to be done will be the bck scene on this board and work towards the fiddle yard end. Again the idea is to have the line/station set into a cutting with a small road coming off the main road and sloping down to the station forecourt area.

post-10572-0-99143800-1446408146_thumb.jpeg

The road will be in the cut out on the left of this first shot.

post-10572-0-16109800-1446408178_thumb.jpeg

There will be a second road on the layout crossing the far end of the loop on a stone bridge and then over the industrial line by a blue brick over bridge thus creating a nice scenic break.

Gary

Edited by kingfisher24
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the glendevon extension, tonight i finished the main scenic formers along the front of the layout, next to be done will be the formers for the rear section and then a start can be made on the formers for the scenics on the back of the layout. Then the basic scenic work can begin.post-10572-0-86106100-1447370475_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Here are some picture of the real world i have found to give an idea as to how i see the finished station looking when done.

First the road over rail bridge at the fiddle yard end of the platforms, the shot is of the old bridge at inveresk but it shows what i have in mind, on the model i may widen my bridge so that the platforms can extend slightly beyond the bridge as in this photo.

post-10572-0-26794100-1447373027.jpeg

Next the signal box which will be on the inside platform, this shot is of the box at largo on the fife coast but again shows what i have in mind.

post-10572-0-38209900-1447373118.jpeg

And here the layout of some of the glendevon end of the station showing the short bay used for unloading, this is Elie ststion but again it shows the idea of the model. Please bear in mind that the buildings will not be the same as in these shots. These are simply the best ones I could find that give the best idea of what the finished model will hopefully look like.

post-10572-0-86122400-1447373334_thumb.jpeg

On the model the main station building will be on te outside platform with the signal box and other station building on the inside platform with the signal box being at the glendevon end of the platform. Roughly opposite the pirate in this photo.

post-10572-0-32526200-1447373459.jpeg

Edited by kingfisher24
  • Like 2

On my way back from finding out what baby number three will be i popped in to the club to check on the first part of scenics to be done and add another layer of wood glue and kitchen towel. A lot more to do yet.

post-10572-0-68551200-1448212349_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-62637800-1448212368_thumb.jpeg

The scenert is formed using a card cereal packets cut into strips and made into a latticework on top of which is wood glue and kitchen roll paper built up in layers. This should be strong enough and not bein plaster it shouldn't crack either, well i hope, i was thinking of adding a layer of plaster bandage aswell but i will wait and see how solid the scenics are and then decide.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting your progress and interesting to watch things evolve.

Great to see the inveresk picture as well, I used to get taken there in the mid 80s to 'get numbers'. We used to sit in the car down the brae, and I have to admit I didn't even know there had been a station there although I'm sure my dad must have said at the time.

Think there are some posh looking houses in that area now.

Thanks for posting your progress and interesting to watch things evolve.

Great to see the inveresk picture as well, I used to get taken there in the mid 80s to 'get numbers'. We used to sit in the car down the brae, and I have to admit I didn't even know there had been a station there although I'm sure my dad must have said at the time.

Think there are some posh looking houses in that area now.

Aye i never realised there was a station there either and aye again there are some posh timber frames with a single brik skin that they call houses on the spot - complete with a 30 year guarantee at up to £300.000 each now thats great value haha.

On the layout, the scenics will continue on the front of the layout but the area just before the backscene at either end will be done last incase the bakscene needs removing or adjusting etc.

Gary

Aye i never realised there was a station there either and aye again there are some posh timber frames with a single brik skin that they call houses on the spot - complete with a 30 year guarantee at up to £300.000 each now thats great value haha.

On the layout, the scenics will continue on the front of the layout but the area just before the backscene at either end will be done last incase the bakscene needs removing or adjusting etc.

Gary

£300k crumbs that's cheap for inveresk I'd have thought.

I think there one such construction right where the cobbled brae down to the station was, I seem to recall a nice levelling crossing type gate at the top of the brae as well.

Keep the layout updates coming.

• 2 weeks later...

A progress report on the glendevon which earlier tonight had the suggested name of mockup junction but we will see on that one.

I spend tonight at the club continuing with the cereal packet strip weaving, building up the lattice to form the base for the scenics. Concentrating as before on the front of the layout (the rear section will be done later as this will be using a different method. Also whilst at the falkirk show on sunday i got hold of a metcalfe bridge kit and having built this took it down the club to replace the mock up bridge ( a mock up for a mock up!).

Although it is just at the woven card board stage it doesn't look too bad so far.

post-10572-0-10684500-1449012462_thumb.jpeg

The plan is to have gently rolling countryside which flows down the centre of the layout looking as natural as is possible.

I also realised that I hadn't found a picture of what te station forecourt would look like so a look through the web later and i found this photo of the approach to chirnside station which conveys the idea of what i hope the model will look like.

post-10572-0-84555400-1449012685.jpeg

The station will be approached by a road sloping down from a main road at the hill where the station masters house is a right angles to the main station building.

More to follow.

Gary

Edited by kingfisher24
  • Like 2

Another progress report on the glendevon extension. On the front of the layout the first layers of plaster bandage have been applied and set (it takes for ever in this weather) although more layers will need to be applied in order to make sure it is a solid as possible.

I have spent the last few days making mock ups of the station buildings and signal box etc. The main station buildings are based on a drawing which a former club member used to make the originals on glendevon proper. The signal box is based loosely on the one at largo which was platform mounted, i have made te box slightly too short length wise as not enough room for the correct lever frame but other than this it isnt far off.

The station master's house is again loosely based on the one which still exists at chirnside. So a bit of a mix and match but i dont think the buildings look to bad together. The next thing to be done will be building up the area around the station buildings on the front of the layout as at the moment they are mounted on some polystyrene. This will be covered using a combination of neat wood resin and plaster bandage topped with plaster.

Anyway here are some shots of the progress so far.

post-10572-0-67876300-1449617592_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-29215100-1449617709_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-87322200-1449617753_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-25456700-1449617785_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-39845200-1449617814_thumb.jpeg

post-10572-0-49569600-1449617730.jpeg

Edited by kingfisher24
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Another update on the glendevon extension, i have been working on additional mock-up bridges for both the main running lines an also a bridge for the industrial line. The thing about the bridge just infront of the backscene is that no matter what you do you can never disguise the fact that the trains will disappear and that you will always be able to see through the backscene. I have been building up the scenery on this board but have deliberately left the last section to last as the type of bridge is yet to be decided upon, inam leaning toward two separate brides with girders as these seem the best way to minimise how much you can see through but im bot totally convinced. Hopefully the next instalment will have the solution. The scenery is also a little further forward around the main station buildings. For this area i have just used a card latticework with plaster bandage directly on top without the kitchen towel painted with wood glue, to see how it compares. The twin track bridge in the centre is a modified metcalfe kit. There will be a country road on an embankment crossing the main lines and the industrial line via a blue brick girder bridge.post-10572-0-84181800-1450827273_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-16882200-1450827307_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-98511800-1450827328_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A little update on the latest progress on the glendevon extension. With work being mainly focused on builing up the cereal packet card mesh at the fiddle yard end of the layout. I am deliberately not doing the scenic first layers at the extreme ends as i want to have the smp track laid and finalised before i do the scenics as there will be a tunnel mouth at one end and a bridge at the other.

And whilst at model rail i was looking at the 57 study group layout hewisbridge and took a few shots of the layout as the layout is similar to what i have in mind.

post-10572-0-60991700-1457300436_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-41121600-1457300461_thumb.jpeg

The main differance being the fact that the new aection will keep the two platforms. But as i said a similar layout but with only two sidings as opposed to the four on hewisbridge.

post-10572-0-54480000-1457300485_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-98833300-1457300531_thumb.jpeg

And here ar a couple of snaps of the continued work on the latticework.

post-10572-0-94133800-1457300794_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-45001500-1457301124_thumb.jpeg

Finally thoughts have been turning to scenery proper. Whilst at work a took a few shots in the lammermuirs, this was a few days ago when a large warm thing appeared in the sky for a while, which is a rare. Anyway here are a few shots taken miles and miles from any railway but some nice scenery.

post-10572-0-32902600-1457301706_thumb.jpegpost-10572-0-53795000-1457301718_thumb.jpeg

Finally i met a couple of interesting characters.

post-10572-0-86231900-1457301777.jpeg

Its me on the right.

• Like 5

Hi Gary, interesting that you have quoted Hewisbridge as one of your thoughts. The reasoning behind the extra two sidings was that the line was singled after the second war and with output from the pit increasing the platform was removed and the exchange sidings added, incidently the bufferstops were the first I'd ever built. You can still see the remains of the second platform at the overbridge.

Hewisbridge is now over twenty years old but was built to last, couple of point motors changed, a rewire and new control panel last year has ensured another few years of invites can be accepted. Me? I only did the trackwork with Ian Porteous (owner), Steve Driver and the late John Helmsley doing scenics, buildings and structures. Other guys are involved these days to help with the exhibitions including Ian's son who is the best operator by far....

Dave Franks.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

here is another update on the glendevon extension, i have been a bit preoccupied with weathering stock recently with the good weather and have not had the chance to get down the club at the weekends to do work on the layout. today however i decided to get me finger oot and do some work that needs doing done, and below is the result.

some may notice that the scenic scattr has been removed, this was not the intention but i found that a lot of the scatter hadnt stuck to the glue mix properly so it has been carefully swept up and put in a tin to be reapplied at a later date.

anyway the work today included modifying the junction end of the main platform and also the approaches to either side of the bridge. after consideration i thought that the bridge just didnt look right to me (and others) so you see the modified areas. the beginnings of the loading dock have been put in and also the signal box has temporarily been put in place. the box is the Bachmann caledonian version issued to Bachmann collectors club members but is not too far away from some nbr boxes. the windows at least will need modified but the rest isnt too bad and its quite a good little model and saves making one from scratch.

i am not entirely sure about the loading dock so any feedback, advice and suggestions welcome.

post-10572-0-61162400-1475364803_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-73279700-1475364867_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-36236100-1475364888_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-00669800-1475364911_thumb.jpg

gary p

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

another glendevon update

further progress has been made on the buildings with the signal box now almost there, the box began life as a Bachmann collectors club ex caledonian structure which has had  new windows (modified) from the ancorton range added, as well as a new stairway added, this was made up from the scraps around the wooden sprue that came with the windows. i fugured the box isnt a million miles out now, certainly easier than making one from scratch. it was after all a quite nice moulded model to start with. ok the roof is a bit flat for an nbr box but its good enough for me.

post-10572-0-52932900-1477516460_thumb.jpgpost-10572-0-33290900-1477516617_thumb.jpg

now for the station buildings work has progressed on one of the building i decided to do the smaller building first as smaller is easier. modified ancorton windows and doors etc have been used, and various pieces of card strip for the panelling etc. i did think about making new building for the final models but the mock ups are the correct size in all respects and most of the detailing was drawn on in the correct places so i thought why give myself more work than i need to.

with the windows etc added to the model it seemed a shame in a way to paint over them as they looked rather nice as bare wood.

post-10572-0-69110300-1477516875.jpg

post-10572-0-46183700-1477517005_thumb.jpg

i did think about leaving the windows and doors in the plain wood finish and varnish them, but, in the end i gave in and painted them in the correct?? colours. having done this i have started to add individual slates made form card. my eyesight and sanity may suffer but nobody will notice the difference. it will take a while to do the slates but the job so far doesn't look to bad to my eyes.

post-10572-0-19199100-1477517424_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-07507100-1477517460_thumb.jpg

post-10572-0-79591300-1477517489_thumb.jpg

more to follow.

gary p

• Like 2