Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Anthony Brian Colbeck - Anbrico

Andy Y

Anthony Brian Colbeck, founder of Anbrico Scale Models died peacefully on the evening of Wednesday 9th September 2015 in York hospital.

msg-10359-0-41077700-1442666195_thumb.jp

British Railways Scottish Region commissioned a ‘OO’ model of the three car Glasgow Suburban Electric ‘Blue Train’ to be mounted on a length of scale track on a wooden plinth with posts and overhead wires. The completed model was to be presented to the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh on a visit to see the line in Scotland in July 1965. 

Our condolences to his family and friends; his son, Paul (Felixjaz on RMweb) would like to create a tribute to Brian by creating an online gallery of any pictures of Anbrico models if you have any that you would wish to share.

msg-10359-0-70667100-1442666187_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Anthony Brian Colbeck, founder of Anbrico Scale Models died peacefully on the evening of Wednesday 9th September 2015 in York hospital.

msg-10359-0-41077700-1442666195_thumb.jp

British Railways Scottish Region commissioned a ‘OO’ model of the three car Glasgow Suburban Electric ‘Blue Train’ to be mounted on a length of scale track on a wooden plinth with posts and overhead wires. The completed model was to be presented to the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh on a visit to see the line in Scotland in July 1965. 

Our condolences to his family and friends; his son, Paul (Felixjaz on RMweb) would like to create a tribute to Brian by creating an online gallery of any pictures of Anbrico models if you have any that you would wish to share.

msg-10359-0-70667100-1442666187_thumb.jp

Anbrico was the only source of good quality ready-to-run DMUs. I bought a Gloucester single for my Much Wenlock branch layout and he even put the bespoke destinations on it. I still have it and will get it photographed. He told me off because I said, in print, that it was expensive. It was, compared to my earnings at the time, but not when you considered that it was hand-built. I can't now recall what I actually paid - a shade under £10, I think, in the mid-1960s. I also have a matching AC Cars railbus which I bought secondhand, and a couple of his white metal kits, the AC railbus again, and the County Donegal railcar. He filled a gap in the market with an excellent product and a high standard of personal service and Anbrico was high on my list of favourite model companies. He made a great contribution to the hobby. RIP ABC.

CHRIS LEIGH

The white metal bus kits were of better quality than most others of the time. Quite a few of those kits survive in other ranges, with most ending up in the ABS Streetscene range.

I still have a few original Anbrico buses in both kit and built forms, as well as the models of Anbrico origin from later manufacturers.

When I worked for George Mellor, we did the casting for the Anbrico white metal range. Often I volunteered to deliver them in the car on my Sunday off, a lot cheaper than sending white metal by post. Tony and his family were always welcoming and after giving me lunch, I set off for a day at the recently reopened Worth Valley Railway.

The good old days.

Merf.

I've recently motorised an AC Railbus that I was given by Anbrico many years ago for helping dismantle their stand at Central Hall; also a Sheffield tram waiting to be finished..

RIP Anthony.

Roy Gould ex GS Models.

Archived