Ace Products 7mm Kits

Chris,

The honest answer is they vary in quality.  Some are very good, some are not and we prefer to stay with the smaller inside cylindered jobs; we have an R1 (SER) rebuilt from the R kit, and a T kit still in the box which looks very nice.  However, you are probably after a small tank locomotive for your shunting plank. 

I'm Southern so I can't help you with LNER locomotives; the person you want to talk to is Steve Sharp who does the test builds.  He will give you an honest answer and he has a stand at most south east London shows (Beckenham, "Erith", etc).

Then we don't stint with wheels (JPL) or motor / gearbox (ABC).

Bill

Searching on this site might give you an idea of the quality of certain kits. I don't model 7mm either, but i have a couple of friends who do and after one of them built the C13 for someone else I don't think either of them would touch another one.

All the range, I understand, has been acquired from other producers which is why the quality varies. I understand his J52 is a good kit, but I'd strongly suggest you talk to someone who's built one before you have a go.

Ken (Jazz) on here has built more 7mm locos than most of us have had hot lunches - PM him and see what he thinks. I've no recollection of seeing one on his workbench.

Not an easy build, but some will build into decent models if you go the distance.

That's from what I've read on here and other places, NOT from building one myself.

The gentleman who owns the company is very approachable, very knowledgeable, and will try to help.

J19 from an ACE kit. The tender was from a separate manufacturer which Ace now own. I used that tender because the tender supplied with the kit was a model of the water pick up type (used on some of the prototypes with pick up gear removed) which had a different coal space . It was not for the beginner but anyone with kit building experience should not have too much trouble. I replaced the cab roof with a scratch built one and added the tender weatherboard.

ACE will supply tenders seperately.

post-5754-0-13352700-1442846715_thumb.jpgpost-5754-0-86405300-1442846749_thumb.jpgpost-5754-0-20571200-1442846786_thumb.jpg

Chris,

All your respondents appear to be singing from the same book. If you are considering your first 7mm kit, it may be worth your time looking at Connoisseur Models. Jim McGeown has a reputation for providing assistance to anyone building his kits.

Bill

Chris,

All your respondents appear to be singing from the same book. If you are considering your first 7mm kit, it may be worth your time looking at Connoisseur Models. Jim McGeown has a reputation for providing assistance to anyone building his kits.

Bill

Got to agree here Jim's J68 is a great little kit almost falls together, F5 a little more complex. Jim is very helpful and will even supply odd etched sheets if you screw thing up.

Terry

post-5754-0-63261400-1442944415_thumb.jpg

post-5754-0-71083500-1442944436_thumb.jpg

I have built a few of the ACE kits they are not for beginners, and with added details work well. The ones I have done have not been easy but have all turned out looking as the should of done. The latest was a V3 which needed new parts making and others modifying. The V3 and a SR A1 builds are on my blog.

post-13601-0-58600300-1443171989_thumb.jpg

Archived