Will we get an N gauge Class 117?

1977joey

Hi guys,

My heart skipped a beat when I saw Bachmann were introducing a new DMU on Rail express, the Class 117, which I know a a fair few of us N gauger's are crying out for, only to see it is going to be produced in OO gauge only. Is there anyone in the know here who'd think we'll get an N gauge version at some point?

The unit would offer itself to create Class 116's/118's etc. 

cheers,

Mark.

Very unlikely to be anything new in N gauge for some time, just different liveries and updates to existing ranged items
I had a heated discussion with Bachmann at this years N Gauge Show
I have been waiting since 2009 for some items
I don't mind an item being released within 6 months of expected release date, but 6 years is just a joke!

Bachmann admit the demand is there, but they just cannot supply consistently due to local issues in China (allegedly)

Several items from 2014 are due imminently

As an example the long awaited Mark 2F is a new item
However, the entire design has gone back to the beginning, and is not expected until the end of 2017 (more likely arriving at retailers in 2018, if ever)

Edited by mjkerr

As an example the long awaited Mark 2F is a new item

...entire design has gone back to the beginning, and is not expected until the end of 2017 (more likely arriving at retailers in 2018, if ever)

That's very interesting; at risk of derailing the content of this topic away from the subject title, what happened there? Do you mean starting from scratch, as obviously the Poole one cannot be used as a base, or do you mean they started, made progress and have had to bin it and go back to the drawing board?

Cheers,

Benn.

I'd give several body parts for a 64ft high density unit. I'd always take preference for a 116 as the 117 was much less common round these parts. But saying that a 117 is a darn sight better for me than the current crop of 101 and 108, which would be relegated to running as hybrid units as that was pretty much the only way I ever saw them in the flesh!

Do you mean starting from scratch, as obviously the Poole one cannot be used as a base, or do you mean they started, made progress and have had to bin it and go back to the drawing board?

Yes, Bachmann thought they had the diagrams for the Mark 2F, however on comparison with an actual coach just a few months ago they realised it was for a Mark 2E

As Bachmann had plans for a Mark 2F rather than a Mark 2E, the whole process has been put back to the beginning

As for the next new DMU, the Class 117 is likely just not within the next three years as Bachmann are currently working their way through their existing Farish range

I then pressed them for details as to why no further Class 47/0 or 47/4 had been released (after 47474 / 47612 / 47535)

They are currently waiting for existing stocks to be exhausted, but I pointed out they had just run out after the release of the (disappointing) 47/7

If that was the case they would look at this again, for a release in 2017

Yes, Bachmann thought they had the diagrams for the Mark 2F, however on comparison with an actual coach just a few months ago they realised it was for a Mark 2E

As Bachmann had plans for a Mark 2F rather than a Mark 2E, the whole process has been put back to the beginning

I thought that Mk2E and Mk2F were very similar - same basic body but differences in internal panelling and seats. What other differences are there?

G.

it could be a good opportunity for them to perhaps now make the Mk2fs  light bar ready like the Dapol coaches.  

I hope the DBSO at least has some form of head or tail light dcc facility.

i presume its the same story then for the 00 versions in terms of the delay?

Edited by ThaneofFife

I thought that Mk2E and Mk2F were very similar - same basic body but differences in internal panelling and seats

What other differences are there?

Exactly, why not just continue and release it is a Mark 2E / 2F

However, there are some very minor differences in the underframe depending on the type of Air Con equipment fitted

Generally, the 2F is very recognisable as it has the single air con fan on one side, whereas the 2D / 2E have smaller fans

I used to have list of which 2E / 2F had which fans (air con system) as after few years I noticed not all 2F had the larger single fan

Edited by mjkerr

it could be a good opportunity for them to perhaps now make the Mk2fs  light bar ready like the Dapol coaches.  

I hope the DBSO at least has some form of head or tail light dcc facility.

No and no

Hence my heated discussion with Bachmann

If the design has to start again, why not include both options, but no, there are no plans for either to be included

I am really surprised at the lack of DCC lighting for the DBSO

Edited by mjkerr

Exactly, why not just continue and release it is a Mark 2E / 2F

However, there are some very minor differences in the underframe depending on the type of Air Con equipment fitted

The 2F is very recognisable as it has the single air con fan on one side, whereas the 2D / 2E have smaller fans

So they could basically use the same body moulding and the same bogies? Plus as much of the under-frame equipment is separate fittings it would probably only need a few different cabinets/fan housings. Odd they've had to scrap all the development work they've done so far and go back to the beginning.

Still at least the NSE Mk2As have turned up - just a shame they haven't done the BFK as ATM there's no first call accommodation available in NSE.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Hello there,

Are they really suggesting that the DBSO would not have working lights?  Or just that it would not have a socket for a DCC accessory chip?

cheers

Ben A.

PS - I am sure we will get a 117 in N.  It's an open goal.  The question for Farish is do they move it up the queue to work on it at the same time as the OO version, or fulfil the already announced items first.

Edited by Ben A

I somehow doubt this as I've had conversations with people involved in the process and it's not come up. I can see an advanced CAD image in the latest Bachmann Times and it is stated that it's in the tool room (including the DBSO); somewhere it wouldn't be if such issues were just a few months ago.

I somehow doubt this as I've had conversations with people involved in the process and it's not come up. I can see an advanced CAD image in the latest Bachmann Times and it is stated that it's in the tool room (including the DBSO); somewhere it wouldn't be if such issues were just a few months ago.

I spent a good 30 minutes with Bachmann at this years N Gauge Show, whilst they found me the correct person to speak to

Several questions were raised;

Severe delay on Mark 2F coach, why and expected release date?

lack of further Class 47, next release?

I was advised the Mark 2F coach (N gauge) project was put back to the beginning a few months ago, after the three samples were produced (TSO, FO and DBSO)

They were compared to actual coaches and found to be completely incorrect, including window dimensions incorrect and underframe incorrect

As above, it turned out the diagrams supplied were for Mark 2E and not Mark 2F

Issue with the Class 47 also outlined above, even though existing stock has now run out there are no plans for a release in 2016...

I did say it was at risk of derailing the content away from the subject title... Looks like it's not only derailed, but bounced along the ballast a bit, rolled on to it's side and then down the embankment, ploughed into a BOC storage facility and blown half a town up. And then a 47 and 9 Mk2E/Fs have just ran into the remaining wreckage for good measure, the 117 was still in the station so that's fine.

...Anyone for a pint?