Will we get an N gauge Class 117?

1977joey

Yep, I'm always keen for a decent pint, or two, or three . . . .

;-)

G

Excellent, we'll arrange that sometime then Grahame. Hope you enjoyed your trip on the DMU at Llangollen when I saw you a month or two back!

Anyway, I think I've damaged this thread enough now, I'll shurrup!

Yes, Bachmann thought they had the diagrams for the Mark 2F, however on comparison with an actual coach just a few months ago they realised it was for a Mark 2E

As Bachmann had plans for a Mark 2F rather than a Mark 2E, the whole process has been put back to the beginning

As for the next new DMU, the Class 117 is likely just not within the next three years as Bachmann are currently working their way through their existing Farish range

I then pressed them for details as to why no further Class 47/0 or 47/4 had been released (after 47474 / 47612 / 47535)

They are currently waiting for existing stocks to be exhausted, but I pointed out they had just run out after the release of the (disappointing) 47/7

If that was the case they would look at this again, for a release in 2017

As a follow up to this Bachmann would like to address the points (responses in bold):

Yes, Bachmann thought they had the diagrams for the Mark 2F, however on comparison with an actual coach just a few months ago they realised it was for a Mark 2E

Incorrect – we know the difference between the types

As Bachmann had plans for a Mark 2F rather than a Mark 2E, the whole process has been put back to the beginning

The Bachmann Branchline OO scale Mk2Fs were announced in March 2013 and the Graham Farish N Scale ones at the same event. The OO scale ones were always going to lead first and indeed they are currently in the tool room. The N scale versions are in the drawing office.

As for the next new DMU, the Class 117 is likely just not within the next three years as Bachmann are currently working their way through their existing Farish range

I then pressed them for details as to why no further Class 47/0 or 47/4 had been released (after 47474 / 47612 / 47535)

They are currently waiting for existing stocks to be exhausted, but I pointed out they had just run out after the release of the (disappointing) 47/7

Bachmann’s warehouse contains the following items in stock (none of which are out of stock) which are available for Bachmann retailers to order.

371-825B

Class 47/0 BR Green D1572 Small Yellow Panel

£ 119.95

371-828B

Class 47/0 47096 BR Blue

£ 119.95

372-243

Class 47/7 47701 'Saint Andrew' BR Blue

£ 119.95

372-244

Class 47/7 47711 'Greyfriars Bobby' BR Blue Large Logo

£ 119.95

372-245

Class 47/7 47710 'Sir Walter Scott' BR ScotRail

£ 119.95

372-246

Class 47/7 47715 'Haymarket' BR Network SouthEast

£ 119.95

Moving on:

I was advised the Mark 2F coach (N gauge) project was put back to the beginning a few months ago, after the three samples were produced (TSO, FO and DBSO)

They were compared to actual coaches and found to be completely incorrect, including window dimensions incorrect and underframe incorrect

As above, it turned out the diagrams supplied were for Mark 2E and not Mark 2F

I don't know how this could be the case, the N gauge Mk2f is still at the drawing office stage and therefore no tool has been produced for any first EP samples to be made from so it can't have gone back to the beginning.

Would you be kind enough to drop me a PM with the name of the person you are quoting please?

• Like 2

This totally 'derailed' Mk2F and 47 issue is why I never bother asking Dapol or Bachmann about thier timescales at exhibitions.

I have to say though that the Bachmann responce does highlight that they have no 47/4s left so may may see some more in 2016! 

As for a 117 it would be nice (as would a 116) as long as it does not look out of place with the Dapol 122/121.

Hi Gang,

A Class 117 would be awesome in N Gauge......but we must be patient as usual. Bachmann are noted for revealing nothing of their plans until they are ready.....much like the DBSO really ;-)

As Ben has intimated/hoped.....lights in the DBSO would be awesome.

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

• Like 1

we must be patient as usual. Bachmann are noted for revealing nothing of their plans until they are ready.....much like the DBSO really ;-)

Yes, and I like this approach. I'm not a fan of companies sticking a flag on a prototype or class, and then leaving it half a decade before we see any progress. I'm guessing it could be better for the manufacturer that way as well, as they can take their time at the R & D stage to get the model spot on without constant, and often unnecessary attacks on their work all the time. Plus, when the model is near completion, I'd imagine they could give a more accurate retail price for pre-orders. I'm only speculating here of course, I'm sure it's much more complicated than that! :)

Either way, going off the quality of the 108 and 101, both fantastic models and superb runners, if we do see a 117 in N from Farish at some point, it will be a scorcher and well worth the wait.

Benn.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

For those that can't wait (and what will probably be an unspecified and lengthy amount of time) class 105 and 117 DMUs are available from B&H Enterprises, and the 105 as a scratch-build aid from Worsley Works with the 117 listed as TBA.

G

As for a 117 it would be nice (as would a 116) as long as it does not look out of place with the Dapol 122/121.

So they need to downgrade it so the window glazing is more globby than Bachmann typically manage these days, the proportions of the front windows are wrong and the underframe components stick out too much?   :smile_mini:

Edited by Chris Higgs

• 3 months later...

That looks really good Grahame. I was thinking of attempting a class 120 which I believe BHE do.

Actually I didn't make it, I was lucky enough to acquire it. That's why I said I think it's a BHE kit. It's one of Dicky Dockerills models - he was certainly a great N/2mm modeller but now prefers O/7mm. I've also got a 165 by him.

I do remember him telling me that BHE kits require a bit of effort but can be made up in to good models and that he mastered many of the cast white metal underframe details for many of their units.

G

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I asked the question at AP. Obviously I didn't get a firm answer, but if an N Gauge 117 was announced in the next couple of years I wouldn't be surprised at all........

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

I asked the question at AP. Obviously I didn't get a firm answer, but if an N Gauge 117 was announced in the next couple of years I wouldn't be surprised at all........

Tom. 

I asked someone from Bachmann at The International N Gauge Show a couple of years ago.  No confirmation but they certainly didn't dismiss it as never going to happen.

We can but hope, I suppose.

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

I would think it is much nearer as my 117 cut and shunt from the excellent Dapol 121/122 stable  is nearing lock down completion!  Middle car a happy chop of 3 vehicles ! and a smidge of filler as is normal with my bodging.

I have reduced the population of dummy vehicles by  5 to get this far! making them more collectable ? 

Robert 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 1977joey said:

Well there we have it, another Class 117 is being done, this time in O gauge, while we continue to be forgotten in N gauge!

Well as it wouldn't be announced until later in development these days, and the fact that Hattons are not friends with Bachmann at the moment, doesn't mean to say it isn't just around the corner.

I'll have three or four when they arrive, five when Kernow commission the GWR 150 set.....

If I start on my BHE etched one, maybe that will hurry it along??

Edited by Davexoc
typo correction
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Davexoc said:

Well as it wouldn't be announced until later in development these days, and the fact that Hattons are friends with Bachmann at the moment, doesn't mean to say it isn't just around the corner.

I'll have three or four when they arrive, five when Kernow commission the GWR 150 set.....

If I start on my BHE etched one, maybe that will hurry it along??

Hattons are friends with Bachmann at the moment?? I wasn't aware of any change in the relationship - please do tell more.

Roy

P.S. a 117 in N? Lovely, a three car in green for me please..

Roy

Edited by Roy L S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1